Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
problem sunroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancevought953 View Post
Mine is back from shop. My wallet is empty but I can see the sun through a fully opened rebuilt panoramic sunroof. They used parts from 2 of the 3 repair kits available. Says I will never have another problem with it and they will stand by it. Also said the problem comes from some of the plastic parts cracking over time due to what? Answer: sunshine. He showed me the service bulletin for the roof and no kidding it says that if the roof is subjected to the sun for long periods this and that particular part is at risk. Hmmm. Sunroof on the roof. Gonna see alot of sun.
But regardless it is fixed.
Hello,

I also have a problem sunroof, bad closing the small roof, could you tell me where I can find the PDF for the repair, I thank you in advance, cordially

Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
here you guys go.

you have to lower it incrementally while pushing the rear plastic triangle pieces one at a time a little bit at a time, it will make sense after you read the instructions and look at it.

My roof failed about a month ago, have not gotten around to doing the "fix" yet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sunroof repair TFH_v2.pdf (284.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 05-21-2013, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Hello,
Thank you for your prompt reply, but I'm sorry but I can not read a PDF file
can you send it to me at the following address: dpomat@free.fr
Thank you again.
Regards
Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi, 2005 X3
Just bought a 2005 X3 and the roof is stuck in the closed position. We just had some very heavy rain and water came into the rear of the X3 and flooded out the battery compartment. Mechanic said the drains are clogged in the roof area (something along those lines) but cant get to them because of the stuck roof. Very disappointed in my X3, my third BMW.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
i scared my wife in to not using it
Old 06-13-2013, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi, 2005 X3
Here is what I'm thinking. I have had cars before with removable sunroofs, non removable sunroofs (the type that just flip up), t-tops(which were notorious for leaking but mine never did) and recently 2 e60s with the motorized sunroofs which never had any issues.
Im reading tons of threads on different forums with BMW e83 owners saying they are getting repair estimates from $3,000 to $5,000 with one owner saying he had the issue fixed 3 times....
I really don't care if the panoramic sunroof works or not at this point, I just don't want rain coming into my trunk area and battery compartment. Since my sunroof doesn't work and I can pretty much say with confidence from all the threads I have read so far that if it did work it would just break and leak eventually anyway.
What if you just seal the window up like a rear window or windshield. I have never had any rear window or windshield leak on any of my cars. I understand what another member is saying when he said " why bother having a sunroof if you can't open it " but at this point I just don't want it to flood out my car.
I would assume the cheap fix would be sealing it up with clear silicone or to be a little more thorough, sealing it like a windshield with the adhesive they use along with the black weather stripping.
The pic is us using a cup and paper towels getting the rain water out of the trunk area and battery compartment. Fun day...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	381509  

Last edited by DBSonic74; 06-13-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 2.5i
this finally happened to me last friday. thank you everyone for the information on this forum! I was able to manually close it using the tips here and the PDF file. When I have the time, I will attempt doing the fix, but for now, i am glad I was able to close the sunroof! I just hope the seals are on tight... will have to wait for the next time I'm driving in the rain to find out!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
since I manually closed the roof after it breaking, I have not had any leak issues, even is a few torrential PNW downpours, you have to pay attention to it being closed properly when manually cranking it down.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3, 1960 bmw 700
I have the same problem on my 05 X3. The sunroof will open and close normally if I slide the switch forward or backward. If I push the sunroof button the front and rear glass will open to the vent position and the headliner will open an inch or so, but if I try to close it the glass will go down and come right back up. I can close it manually, but would like to get it working as it should. My thought is either the cable guide or the rear mechanism is not moving it at the right time or sticking. Does anyone know the sequence of events required to get the vent glass open and closed as it involves both the front and rear glass along with the headliner. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Jeff
Old 03-21-2014, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3
Sunroof Modification

I've just purchased a 2008 X3 E83 and found the vent function jams when trying to close and the re-sequencing does nothing because of the binding between the rear and front glass.
The PDF for sunroof repair as well as 2 Youtube videos were helpful in getting the roof closed. Has anyone performed the "modification" whereby disabling the rear roof section on a 2008 X3?

Thanks