Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to tmoftw
Mein Auto: 1998 540i/6 Premium Sport
540i fuel injector size

first of all, what cc injectors does a '98 540i have, secondly what size would be good for stage 1 or 2 dinan software?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoftw View Post
first of all, what cc injectors does a '98 540i have, secondly what size would be good for stage 1 or 2 dinan software?
24 pound injectors?The same....Ess goes to 28 pound injectors on their 8 psi kit.I believe.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 97 540I6
They're 19 pound injectors in the 540I.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM

oh i see. that seems small to me, considering my friends saab has 345cc/min factory...is it because my 540i has twice the cylinders that the injectors are smaller? im new to this stuff so bear with me, and thanks for the help
anybodys opinion on venom injectors? i found a 24lb set of 8 for about$170 otherwise my next best option in my price range is bosch ev1 same flow rating but $410

Last edited by tmoftw; 03-30-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-31-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
oh i see. that seems small to me, considering my friends saab has 345cc/min factory...is it because my 540i has twice the cylinders that the injectors are smaller? im new to this stuff so bear with me, and thanks for the help
anybodys opinion on venom injectors? i found a 24lb set of 8 for about$170 otherwise my next best option in my price range is bosch ev1 same flow rating but $410
Check out Five O Motorsports for injectors ..Just curious why are you getting new injectors for your car if it is still stock? I have 6 OEM ones upstairs in the attic , if you have a bad one in the bunch, that you can have them for the price of me mailing them to you.
I just bought my 60 pounders from 5 O Motorsports and they were great to deal with and guarantee the injectors from defects and are all flow matched to 1%.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:45 PM

when i get my high flow filter and dinan software wouldnt slightly larger injectors help as well as far as a small performance gain? the ones i have are fine as far as i know, i just had someone suggest uprading injector size by a little would increase performance a little in concurrence with the other 2 things im having done soon.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
You don't need larger injectors. Stock they are 19 lb per hour, however, injector flow rates are given at 43.5 psi. Our rail pressure is about 51 psi, so they flow more than 19 lbs, more like 20.5. That's more than enough to support well over 300 hp.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:57 PM

so it would seem itsnot worth the money until i have more than just a stage 2 ecu and a free flow ai. thanks guys
Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
24# injectors will support 350whp. I used fast injectors because they are balanced set, which is a big. Deal! Ford motorsports sells nice 24# injectors. Either way I would recommend running it on the dyno after you install them, then sending the results out with the computer to powerchips to max your gains!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 AM
My name is Andy

Mein Auto: 99 540i
It's not going to make any difference. The ECU would pick up that your car is running rich and lean it out.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm running the 24# fast injectors on my 540I and it has not compensated for the added fuel on mine yet! Runs very rich and really fattens up over 3700rpm. The dyno operator told me that I I got a tune that corrected it I should pick up an extra 20hp.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
so it would seem itsnot worth the money until i have more than just a stage 2 ecu and a free flow ai. thanks guys
Save your money.If you have the car modified enough to require larger injectors, whoever sells you the kit or installs the kit will include the new injectors and tune for the car.The CAI by Dinan nor any of their mods require larger injectors until you add a supercharger, I think....
If you start adding larger injectors with out a reason all you will do is actually slow the car down.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 PM

hmm that is interesting, i did figure without proper tuning it would either do nothing or have a negative effect but just like this post i get mixed opinions all over the web but for now i think im going to pass. the amount of advice against it does outweigh people for it so maybe after i get some more additions, but i did find a set of 8 24lb inj by venom for $164 so im still tempted to buy them and put them in myself...chucksrt did you install them yourself i take it and let it run without tweaking anything and its good? how much does it damage mpg?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
It's not going to make any difference. The ECU would pick up that your car is running rich and lean it out.
I'm not sure I agree with this. One of my mods is the Dinan Stage II S/W. On the dyno, my F/A mixture at full throttle is between 12 - 12.2. This is too rich for max power in my opinion. The ECU is not leaning it out enough, and that's with the stock injectors.

I'm hoping a set of SuperSprint headers I'm getting ready to install will lean this out some. I'd like to see it between 12.8 and 13.0.
AFE intake, Stage 2 Dinan software, M62 intake, Dinan trans SW, 3.64 limited slip, Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35/18 all around on 18x9 Style 37 wheels, SuperSprint headers, Magnaflow 3" exhaust, Dinan Springs, M5 rear sway bar, Dinan strut bar, SS braided lines, Technical Graphite interior trim, M5 deadpedal, Titanium Silver / Grey, Black side moldings, M-Tech rear bumper, debadged.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540cmc View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. One of my mods is the Dinan Stage II S/W. On the dyno, my F/A mixture at full throttle is between 12 - 12.2. This is too rich for max power in my opinion. The ECU is not leaning it out enough, and that's with the stock injectors.

I'm hoping a set of SuperSprint headers I'm getting ready to install will lean this out some. I'd like to see it between 12.8 and 13.0.
Chris this brings another good point as to why the OP doesn't need larger injectors. If you are running an AFR of 12, which is way to rich to make max power on an NA engine, then why would you want to go larger? The stock injectors can already flow much more fuel than most of us need, so going larger is a complete waste. If anything, the DME won't be able to shorten the pulse width enough with larger injectors, and you'll probably make less power. If larger was better I'd throw on some 60 lb injectors and make 400 horsepower .
Old 04-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540cmc View Post

They will help allow more air to flow , the SS headers that is... I lost 1.75 pounds of boost when I added my SS headers to my car because of the lack of back pressure due to the better flowing SS design.
To the OP why put injectors in the car unless it is needed but , you are going to do what you wish and I wish you good luck with your quest.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
If larger was better I'd throw on some 60 lb injectors and make 400 horsepower .
You can make 400WHP on 42 pound injectors and if you want to make 580WHP or so ,you will have to go to the 60 pounders.That is with a little help from a Vortech T-Trim , actually a lot of help from a blower and two fuel pumps and a good FPR and a built engine.....
Sorry for the OT...........
Old 04-03-2010, 01:11 AM

lol ok i guess i will save my money for now. any body elses opinion or personal experiences with lite mods and bigger injectors?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
.chucksrt did you install them yourself i take it and let it run without tweaking anything and its good? how much does it damage mpg?

I did install them (pretty straight forward). When I installed mine I did it at the same time I did the Pre-vanos intake manifold. When I ran it on the dyno it only picked up like 5hp, but it also got really fat over 3700rpm. The dyno operator told me I was way rich over 3700rpm and that I could see gains of about 20hp extra once I have it corrected. attached is a copy of the results after the manifold and injectors. I have a copy with A/F I will try to find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	224647  
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 PM

well i am strongly considering installing my own venom set which is just over $160 for 8, and they are 24lb. better mid range is always nice, and idk if this is relavant but my cars build date is 7/98 so obviously it it already pre-vanos.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrt View Post
I did install them (pretty straight forward). When I installed mine I did it at the same time I did the Pre-vanos intake manifold. When I ran it on the dyno it only picked up like 5hp, but it also got really fat over 3700rpm. The dyno operator told me I was way rich over 3700rpm and that I could see gains of about 20hp extra once I have it corrected. attached is a copy of the results after the manifold and injectors. I have a copy with A/F I will try to find it.
A little OT here but does the Dynacom dyno read high on torque generally?
Dynocom numbers: 320HP, 420LB.FT TQ (crank)
Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 PM

If you asked the shop owner he would say it is one of the most accurate dynometers out there. I only know about the results that he gave me. here is the info listed on his dyno... Dynocom DC-2400X 2400+ HP/ 250 MPH
DC-2400X series offers the best horsepower and speed ratings in a compact unit. Consisting of twin 36" diameter wide rolls. The DC 2400X series is perfect for diesel, high torque and high speed applications. The DC 2400X comes standard with our X Factor Knurling option which provides the highest traction over all other competitors. The DC 2400 is easily the world's best engineered dynamometer as the eddy brake sits directly on the shaft between the two rolls - no need to couple with a belt or universal joint all power is directly transferred from the wheels to the load cell.The DC 2400X series is not only designed for ultra-high horsepower vehicles but provides the utmost in accuracy and repeatability for all testing scenarios -drag strip, steady state, acceleration and coast-down tests. Large roll dyno's offer minimal tire deformation and maximum contact patch area providing repeatability and accuracy from test to test.
Notes:
** New, Dynocom has developed the largest, strongest and highest holding eddy brake option in the world. This new more powerful eddy brake can absorbed an additional 750 hp. Unmatched in the dynamometer industries this option is ideal for high horsepower drag cars.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrt View Post
If you asked the shop owner he would say it is one of the most accurate dynometers out there. I only know about the results that he gave me.
Of course he would... he is taking your money to dyno your car isn't he?

I was just curious because I too dynoed on a Dynocom and my torque was HIGH too... HP was about where it should be but torque was high. Your torque is higher than that of a M5 (even E60)!! Seems a little odd, don't you think?
Dynocom numbers: 320HP, 420LB.FT TQ (crank)