Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530I
Question What speakers are good???

Hey guys, Im planning to change my speakers with tweeters. I wanna get high quality sound. I need help to choose that fit perfectly, 2003 530I sport, seems like I have 6 tweeters and for speakers. Theres a huge discussion about that some speakers dont match with factory units, decibels, ohms, watts etc. I dont wanna mess my factory, coz I have factory navigation, changer, cassette and stuff, I really wanna keep it in good condition. Any suggestions? Please give me all info that I need. BTW, I will Install them by myself. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Look at MB Quart. Many have been satisfied with them.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
BavarianSoundworks has some highly regarded component speakers but they are a bit pricey. Your front door woofers are 5.25" You can replace the woofer and the tweeters with any reputable (Infinity, Boston Acoustics, etc.) 5.25" component set (~$200). Leave the midranges. The DIY is on YouTube. Search e39 speaker installation. This is a fairly significant noticeable improvement in clarity and definition.
The rear deck speakers (assuming you do not have the DSP) are basic 5.25". I found that replacing the rear deck speakers with higher quality coaxials made little noticeable difference in sound quality. I would guess the same goes for the rear doors although I haven't tried that yet. Note: the rear deck also has a depth limitation, limiting your speaker choice.
A subwoofer is really needed to round out the low end. However, most subs (Basslink et al) require a good amount of trunk space, which compromises cargo capacity (for golf clubs). You may also need to port into the main cabin to get maximum effect. I installed an rear armrest subwoofer (Blaupunkt Thb-200A) because I don't need thumping bass, wanted something hidden & removeable and didn't want to modify the car. About $200 installed. It hides behind the flap. Works fine for this old Deadhead. My DIY:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=279416
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Armrest 001.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	224052  
Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: e39
basically your sound system settup can be as nice as much as your willing to spend on it.

basically if you know what your doing u can make a sound system play and sound nice with out having to hit your pocked to hard.. you got to think about who are you intending to play music for, are you going to listen to this music for your self while your driving or you are planing to show off with a decibel drag settup.. if you are looking for competition speakers thats a completely different settup from somewhat audiophile touch.

if you decided that you dont want to add to much weight to your car and you just want to have a nice quality sound system then you might need the following.

you want to buy a component speakers to replace the existing factory drivers and tweeters, with the following brands:

- boston acustics ( very high quality / high price )
- focal audio ( very high quality / high price )
- zapco ( some crazy quality sh!t )
- MB Quarts ( high quality / high price )
- cervin vega ( good quality for a good price )

im sure there is plenty more but these would be my top best picks.

now if you want a subwoofer you can buy this nice subwoofer kit from BSW, but what i plan on doing is to build my own sub enclosure and put one of the following drivers in there:

- RE audio - ( i specifically to buy the slim sub they make to save on weight and size, but i have installed in the past a 12" XXX which was powered by a 3000 watt RMS amp and that was extremely loud with awesome quality.. )

- Adire audio bramah ( i seen this sub brake the door hinge of cars from the base)
- zapco ( good sh!t )

there is plenty of good not so mainstream brands that make good subwoofers but i guess thats for u to explore

now to power all these speakers u need a amp, i plan on using the factory amp for the component speakers, but u might decide to run these from a seperate amp then u will need a 4 channel amp, as for the subwoofer your looking to find a mono channel amp,

brands that i have had experience with and i know they make good amps:

- zapco
- HiFonics
- sound stream
- phenix gold
- orion

and if you are looking to run a high power system u might need additional power source so your light don't dim out the best solution for this is to get a Batcap model 400 made by Xtatic,

http://www.batcap.net/Products/BatCa...0/Default.aspx

regular cylindric type capacitors are just expensive and in-efficient with the power storage.

good luck with your system if you do decide to do some crazy sh!t make sure all your hardware is secured and u might want to consider sound proofing the car using dynomat.

RIP: 1998 540i sport 6spd | daily: 1999 528 m-sport 5spd

Last edited by stigst3r; 03-31-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530I
Thanks guys, now I know some nice brands speakers, coz of you. I thought that Alpine is good, I was gonna go for it. I just wanna specify what I want, I just want to increase loudness a little, and really increase quality of the sound, but only by changing speakers and tweeters. Is that possible? Should I match Ohms, decibels, watts with factory stereo so it wont sound creepy ??????? Or...?! I just dont know.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
If you keep your existing head unit and amp and simply replace the stock speakers with more efficient, higher quality component front door speakers, you will increase overall volume, clarity and definition. You won't get much improvement in the low end as the 5.25" speaker are just too small to produce the lower end of the audio spectrum. If you add any kind of subwoofer, it should be powered as there is not enough power in the OEM amp. As the previous poster said, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend. The sky is the limit when it comes to audio.

From a technical perspective, ohms is a measure of resistance (impedance for speakers). If you replace an 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm speaker, it will be more efficient, typically generating a greater volume (sound pressure level, SPL) at the same level of power (watts) applied. So if you want louder sound without changing your amp, go with a speaker with lower resistance (ohms). Decibels is a measure of the loudness and is the units of SPL. Comparing SPL of different speakers is tough because those levels are often given for different power levels and are measured at different distances. Be sure to compare apples to apples. Watts is the measure of power output from your amp. If you increase your power, you can increase your loudness, assuming your speaker can translate that additional power into greater loudness without distortion. Some can't. Higher quality ones can.

Unless you have deep pockets or are a serious audiophile, you are probably more inclined to do incremental improvements vs. a complete system upgrade. I would recommend you first replace the front door speakers with higher quality, more efficient (lower impedance) component speakers. Once you've done that, listen and determine if you want more bass. Then consider the various options for a subwoofer.

Last edited by Fudman; 03-31-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 AM
spanky

Mein Auto: 1999 528I
what ever you do dont go with audio bann speakers..... the sound aint like i thought it would be for the price..... just had them changed last week to memphis audio components WOW what a sound, nice and clear..
Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't dual coil speakers required if you want to add the Bluetooth retrofit or if you already have it and want to retain it?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 13 535 M-sport & 07 328xi
I was looking for the front door speakers as well. Crutchfield have a good variety and some speakers are 2-way and 3-way. Which ones should I get 2-way or 3 way? non DSP stereo
Old 03-31-2010, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vytama View Post
I was looking for the front door speakers as well. Crutchfield have a good variety and some speakers are 2-way and 3-way. Which ones should I get 2-way or 3 way? non DSP stereo

Crutchfield = overpriced .

also 2-way and 3-way speakers are not that good,.. i have worked with a few, and seen couple cars with them,.. they are honestly way over rated and trully suck.... you should go with component speakers that comes with a driver / twitter / crossover set

i found a couple good deals on ebay stores, amazon, onlinecarstereo.com,

http://www.sonicelectronix.com has good deals.

RIP: 1998 540i sport 6spd | daily: 1999 528 m-sport 5spd
Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iT
You might also want to check out these guys: http://www.woofersetc.com/

I got some CDT components for the front doors of my 540i that made a significant difference immediately at a very reasonable price. Good luck no matter what you select.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540a
I have Diamond Audio components in the front and Diamond Audio coax in the rear. I also have 2 JL Audio W6 subs all powered by a JL Audio 300/4 and 500/1 amps. I've had this setup on my car since October 2003, one month after getting my car new in September 2003. It still sound excellent to me after all these years.