Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 3X Black 3.0 Z4 6SPD
Z4 CDV Delete Question

Will doing a CDV delete cause any undue harm to the lines? I'm out of warranty, so I'm not concerned about voiding anything. I'm more concerned with crimped lines if I go with CDV delete vs. Zeck CDV.
Ads by Google
Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
If you're out of warranty, can't you just put a straight through line in place of the CDV? I always thought that people use the CDV delete kits to make it appear stock but still get rid of it.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 3X Black 3.0 Z4 6SPD
That's what I thought, but I was just double checking with everyone here to see if that would cause any problems.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 Imola Red/Black MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrker View Post
If you're out of warranty, can't you just put a straight through line in place of the CDV? I always thought that people use the CDV delete kits to make it appear stock but still get rid of it.
Deleting the CDV means removing it. Replacing the CDV means putting in a modified unit that appears stock.

Neither deleting the CDV nor replacing it with a modified unit will impact the clutch system.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
I wonder what the chances are of damaging the driveline itself after a CDV change or removal? The value prevents dumping a lot of power onto the driveline all at once.
Without the value I wonder inder what conditions you could damage the driveline? Obviously the designers put that value in there as a safety measure to help protect the driveline.
Jim
Old 04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
I wonder what the chances are of damaging the driveline itself after a CDV change or removal? The value prevents dumping a lot of power onto the driveline all at once.
Without the value I wonder inder what conditions you could damage the driveline? Obviously the designers put that value in there as a safety measure to help protect the driveline.
Jim
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=44
Old 04-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the link Ron. That post basically describes the purpose of the CDV but it does not address what the potential harm that could be caused by removing the CDV.

I wonder if anyone that has removed their CDV has caused damage to their driveline when they really drive the car hard? I haven't read any posts about that.

I would think the highest loading differential would occur when the car is not moving and you rev the engine to high RPM and then let out the clutch quickly. Interesting stuff.

Thanks again
Jim
Old 04-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
The discussions I've seen is that the CDV is designed to stop people who can't drive stick from causing driveline issues. You burn up the clutch instead.

As long as you can drive stick correctly then you have nothing to worry about. This is a very common mod and I've never heard anyone complain of issues afterwards.

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Old 04-03-2010, 05:31 AM

^+1
IMO for someone that knows how to drive stick, the CDV can cause more shock than w/o it because it disguises the engagement point.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Yea it is a very common mod and I know we have talked about it to death on this forum. I can see why the CDV was designed into the car. The CDV prohibits the driveline from seeing instant high power loading. By making the driveline engage a little slower than normal with the use of a CDV the desgners could help keep weight out of the driveline. I.E., they didn't have to design a real heavy system that could take the punishment of a fast acting clutch.

It would be interesting to talk to the car's designers.

Take it easy guys and have a nice Easter.
Jim