Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x3 3.0si
Dice Silverline Installation failed (2007 x3)

Hi,

Frustrating experience installing Dice Silverline on 2007 x3 business CD.

I ordered a Dice Silverline from BSW and received it today. Installed it to the center armrest console following the guides from BSW web site, the youtube videos and the others' posts.

After turning the power on, I found that the airbag lights were continuously on. DSC and DTC were off and couldn't be turned on.

The IPod was charging and audio was playing fine initially, controls from the center console and steering wheel buttons seemed work properly. However, music stopped about 10 minutes into testing and CDC mode was missing. I tried to disconnecting the Dice kit power and reconnecting, but I could only get it back once in several tries. Once I got Dice back, it went missing after a while again.

The indicator lights are really concerning me. The airbag lights went off after I detached Dice from the CDC connectors. The DSC and DTC deactivate indicator is still on however (the yellow indicator with a circle around a 4x4 sight). I tried to press DTC button to turn back on DSC and DTC, it didn't seem to work.

Now I am wondering if I just had the worst luck or if there is anyone experiencing the same problem. One thing I noticed though, the Dice 6 pin connector only has 4 needle pins in it. Is this normal?

Any advice? Malfunctioned parts? Wrong firmware? Or the car is the issue?

Thanks!

Last edited by leo5374; 04-01-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
If you had the battery disconnected per the guides then the warning lights are on as a by product. Driving around for a short period will turn them off.

I personally removed my Dice and Installed an INTRAVEE II with an Alpine KCA- 420I Ipod interface. If you have navigation the User Interface is superb and there is no clicking or other noises that are a nuisance.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaremba View Post
If you had the battery disconnected per the guides then the warning lights are on as a by product. Driving around for a short period will turn them off.

I personally removed my Dice and Installed an INTRAVEE II with an Alpine KCA- 420I Ipod interface. If you have navigation the User Interface is superb and there is no clicking or other noises that are a nuisance.
Thanks for the comment. They all seemed kinda random, on and off during driving... I am suspecting that the unit I got has some faulty circuits that suck up the battery and there is not enough voltage to correctly perform the electronic tasks.

Also starting to look into other alternatives, it's just that I had such a good experience with the old Dice unit (ice->link plus) I had on the 2000 323i.

Still waiting for BSW to respond to my email. I would like to see if they have a better solution or I will return the unit and go for other alternatives...
Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
What are the current positions of your DIP switches on the module?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 04-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
What are the current positions of your DIP switches on the module?
The two left DIP switches are at the off(UP) position, and the two right DIP switches are at the on(DOWN) position.

Thanks for looking into it, Tom!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo5374 View Post
The two left DIP switches are at the off(UP) position, and the two right DIP switches are at the on(DOWN) position.

Thanks for looking into it, Tom!
Switches need to be in the UP UP UP DOWN positions. Correct the positions and perform a battery reset.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Switches need to be in the UP UP UP DOWN positions. Correct the positions and perform a battery reset.
The unit came in UP UP UP DOWN positions initially which failed with the syptoms described after the first installation. I figured, I don't need to use "smart mode", so I switched to "Ipod mode" and stayed at these positions. Reinstall in this mode also failed.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
european auto source

Quote:
The unit came in UP UP UP DOWN positions initially which failed with the syptoms described after the first installation. I figured, I don't need to use "smart mode", so I switched to "Ipod mode" and stayed at these positions. Reinstall in this mode also failed.

Thanks!
Just to verify - all switches are in the UP UP UP UP positions?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:07 PM

They are in UP UP DOWN DOWN position now.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
european auto source

Quote:
They are in UP UP DOWN DOWN position now.
They need to be in the UP UP UP UP positions.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Tom,
Could you tell me why they need to be in UP UP UP UP positions? According to the guide in the package, the iPod configuration DIP switches in UP UP is "Lock mode", in DOWN DOWN is "display mode", which is actually my preference, in UP DOWN is "Smart mode".

I have tried UP DOWN (module default), DOWN DOWN (changed to display mode later), same problems.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 99 Dinan M3 89 325i Coupe
Leo,

With the issues you are experiencing it looks as if you have a bad module. I sent out an email to get that swap setup for you, and a swap should get you up and running. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Tom,
Could you tell me why they need to be in UP UP UP UP positions? According to the guide in the package, the iPod configuration DIP switches in UP UP is "Lock mode", in DOWN DOWN is "display mode", which is actually my preference, in UP DOWN is "Smart mode".

I have tried UP DOWN (module default), DOWN DOWN (changed to display mode later), same problems.

Thanks.
UP x 4 is locked mode, which gives you the most features the SL PRO kit offers. The primary key is DIP switch #4 which needs to be UP or DOWN depending on your preferred mode.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 AM

OK,

I will change the DIP Swithes positons to UP UP UP UP and give it one last try. I will report back the result.

Holston, thank you for following through with this issue. Jeremy contacted me for with the instructions. You have been very effecient.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM

Tom,

As for the latest installation using the recommended DIP switch settings, the result is negative. Same behaviors as the previous configurations.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Tom,

As for the latest installation using the recommended DIP switch settings, the result is negative. Same behaviors as the previous configurations.
There may be an issue with the module, you will need to deal with your reseller for an exchange if needed.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Recieved the replacement kits today. Installed (disconnect battery, plug in the unit, connect battery). Works much much better. The ipod charging and playing stayed on. No diagnostic lights stayed on after ignition, except sometimes the airbag light turns off a little longer than expected (average 1-2 extra minutes).

Thank you BSW and Dice! You have been prompt and patience with my problems.

There are still some issues though.
1. After putting in the new module, when locking and unlocking the car, the harzard lights no longer brink. Reading from the x3 owner's manual, harzard lights brinking is related to arm/disarm antitheft system. Shall I be worried?
2. Controlling issues:
a. FFW, RW in (smart mode, ipod unlocked) can't be cancel after release the arrow button. Charging disabled, until re-attach ipod.
b. Track up/down, controlling from the steering wheel button works. However the business CD buttons don't work while CD text is displaying.

Are these normal?

Thanks!

Last edited by leo5374; 04-10-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:06 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Recieved the replacement kits today. Installed (disconnect battery, plug in the unit, connect battery). Works much much better. The ipod charging and playing stayed on. No diagnostic lights stayed on after ignition, except sometimes the airbag light turns off a little longer than expected (average 1-2 extra minutes).

Thank you BSW and Dice! You have been prompt and patience with my problems.

There are still some issues though.
1. After putting in the new module, when locking and unlocking the car, the harzard lights no longer brink. Reading from the x3 owner's manual, harzard lights brinking is related to arm/disarm antitheft system. Shall I be worried?
2. Controlling issues:
a. FFW, RW in (smart mode, ipod unlocked) can't be cancel after release the arrow button. Charging disabled, until re-attach ipod.
b. Track up/down, controlling from the steering wheel button works. However the business CD buttons don't work while CD text is displaying.

Are these normal?

Thanks!
07-09 X3s (and Z4) work a bit differently than the other models, particularly due to a HU change later in production, these are the last of the ibus models.

1. When unplugging the DICE, do the hazards return? This will determine if this is a DICE or an issue that's unrelated.
2. I would consult with DICE about this. I'm not a fan of Smart Mode, since it depletes the entire reason of the integration kit - keeping your hands on the wheel while driving. Locked mode also allows for all features being available (playlist titles, etc) , with the exception of an unlocked iPod Clickwheel/touchscreen

Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM

I am sorry but I have to say that the new module started to show the same electrical problems the old one had over this weekend. The symptoms include airbag lights, turn signal lights, and lost connections of Ipod/Iphone, etc. It seemed that shortly after I popped in the Iphone (3gs, firmware 3.12), the problems showed. After the problems appeared, I reset the module by power recycling the car and connected an Ipod Nano, it stopped to function at the end of the trip to work. (45 minutes, Ipod lost, could not find CDC mode)

I don't know what to say, the replacement unit came in working almost flawless at the beginning.

I am now wondering if the more features DICE introduces, the less stable it becomes.
All I need is digital audio, simple track up/down control and charging. Songs in my Ipod/Iphone are with a lot of asian text, so I don't expect to read the CD text from the radio display. Could there an earlier stable firmware release that I can try?

Thanks!

Last edited by leo5374; 04-12-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
european auto source

Quote:
I am sorry but I have to say that the new module started to show the same electrical problems the old one had over this weekend. The symptoms include airbag lights, turn signal lights, and lost connections of Ipod/Iphone, etc. It seemed that shortly after I popped in the Iphone (3gs, firmware 3.12), the problems showed. After the problems appeared, I reset the module by power recycling the car and connected an Ipod Nano, it stopped to function at the end of the trip to work. (45 minutes, Ipod lost, could not find CDC mode)

I don't know what to say, the replacement unit came in working almost flawless at the beginning.

I am now wondering if the more features DICE introduces, the less stable it becomes.
All I need is digital audio, simple track up/down control and charging. Songs in my Ipod/Iphone are with a lot of asian text, so I don't expect to read the CD text from the radio display. Could there an earlier stable firmware release that I can try?

Thanks!
I would recommend contacting DICE to speak directly with a technician on your issue.

DICE can be contacted at 888.342.3999 or by email at support@diceelectronics.com.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525I
According to Dice Electronics website, it states their BMW iPod interface is compatible with the following iPods.

Compatible iPod models:iPod 5th Generation Video, iPod 1st Generation nano, iPod 2nd Generation nano, iPod 3rd Generation nano, iPod Touch 1st generation, iPod Classic 80/160/120 GB, iPod 4th Generation nano, iPod Touch 2nd Generation
http://diceelectronics.com/bmw.html

Is your iPod any of the one's listed from their website?