Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM
arjuno arjuno is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Billings, MT
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Question about the front headlamps on the 2011

Anyone able to confirm whether the front headlamps here in NA are going to be different than the ones heading to EU? I saw a thread on the Xoutpost forums that we get different angel eyes than the cars shipped to EU. What are the differences? Wish the new X5 had the same LED turn signals and headlamps that the new 5GT got.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
ucube ucube is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: Waiting to order 2011 35d
Don't know about the specs on the EU version, but Car & Driver mag says the U.S. gets the LED "angel eyes" for 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM
arjuno arjuno is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Billings, MT
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
hmm, ok thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Rosmoss Rosmoss is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
The headlamp units on North American units will be the same as the outgoing 2010. The LED rings will not be making an appearance on the 2011s here (NA). Confirmed with BMW Canada
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 AM
resker resker is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosmoss View Post
The headlamp units on North American units will be the same as the outgoing 2010. The LED rings will not be making an appearance on the 2011s here (NA). Confirmed with BMW Canada
If that ends up being the case I wonder how hard (and costly) it would be to retrofit the NA lights w/ Euro LED rings.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
acrackl acrackl is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I am confused. This is from the pdf file (2011 X5 SAV Press Release) at the BMWUSA link: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...V/default.aspx

It says, "BMW's signature corona rings serve as position lights and daytime driving lights". So the Corona rings aren't the LED lights in questions here? Or is the website misleading?
__________________
------------------------------
Ordered my first BMW Apr 04, 2010
2011 X5 XDrive 35d, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Oyster Nevada Interior
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
ucube ucube is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: Waiting to order 2011 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrackl View Post
I am confused. This is from the pdf file (2011 X5 SAV Press Release) at the BMWUSA link: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...V/default.aspx

It says, "BMW's signature corona rings serve as position lights and daytime driving lights". So the Corona rings aren't the LED lights in questions here? Or is the website misleading?
The question was whether the corona rings (aka "angel eyes") in the 2011 headlight cluster would come in LED. I had read in Car & Driver's February issue that LED rings would be fitted for NA, but according to another member it looks like that won't be the case. Guess we'll see soon enough when the 2011 hits the states.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
arjuno arjuno is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Billings, MT
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Yeah, we'll have to wait and see. I know that the new 2011 PDF X5 catalog (BMW international) shows that the 4 rings are in fact LED Xenon headlamps which are standard on the 50i and 40d, and as an option for the 30d (I assume 35d here) and the 35i. Needless to say, I was looking forward to the transition and update from the "yellow" angel eyes. It just makes no sense that when other high-end automakers have transitioned and updated to the use of LED tech, that BMW would continue to treat the X series as its bastard stepchild (5 series and up get LED headlamps, turn signals, brake cluster, and they also include the new black panels for their instrument cluster/center console).

For my own curiosity, I've tried to get a response from various dealers and they range from; not knowing to absolutely getting them for NA. It won't matter in the end for me anyway, I'll patiently wait to take delivery in June.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Rosmoss Rosmoss is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
I think that we will have to look to the aftermarket if we are looking for a different solution. The US press release speaks about corona rings which can be used as daytime running lights. The Euro press release speak of LED corona rings which can be used as daytime running lights. The LED part was deleted from the US release.

The early 2011 x35 M Sport my acquaintance was driving did not have the new clusters.

BMW Canada absolutely says no.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
0428's Avatar
0428 0428 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,567
Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
All 2011 X5 will have the bright white LED rings.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
arjuno arjuno is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Billings, MT
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Ok, finally 2 dealers here in the US sent me the exact same dealer bulletin (they wouldn't send me the whole bulletin because of its length), and it states:

"Front Lighting: The design of the optional Xenon Adaptive Headlights has been slightly modified. Additionally, these lights feature LED corona rings that serve as Daytime Running Lights. The standard fog lights have now been repositioned closer to the center of the vehicle."

When I asked what "optional" meant, they both said that it's in regards to the 35i model which has 3 trim levels. The 50i will definitely get the new lamps. They both agreed that the last or most loaded 35i trim level will get it, but were unsure of the middle one. The base trim won't be getting them and instead gets the 2010 headlamps. One dealer said that only the 35d with the premium/tech packages will be getting the new headlamps.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 PM
ucube ucube is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: Waiting to order 2011 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjuno View Post
Ok, finally 2 dealers here in the US sent me the exact same dealer bulletin (they wouldn't send me the whole bulletin because of its length), and it states:

"Front Lighting: The design of the optional Xenon Adaptive Headlights has been slightly modified. Additionally, these lights feature LED corona rings that serve as Daytime Running Lights. The standard fog lights have now been repositioned closer to the center of the vehicle."

When I asked what "optional" meant, they both said that it's in regards to the 35i model which has 3 trim levels. The 50i will definitely get the new lamps. They both agreed that the last or most loaded 35i trim level will get it, but were unsure of the middle one. The base trim won't be getting them and instead gets the 2010 headlamps. One dealer said that only the 35d with the premium/tech packages will be getting the new headlamps.
I'm pleased to hear this -- if indeed this proves to be true -- since premium & technology pkgs are must-haves for me.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 AM
thebear thebear is offline
Registered User
Location: Coconut Grove
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: 2011 X5d / 2013 135is
I found these hi-res pictures of the 2011's being built in SC. You get a great look at the lights but I am not knowledgeable enough to tell which design they are.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/26/2...partanburg-sc/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
ucube ucube is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: Waiting to order 2011 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
I found these hi-res pictures of the 2011's being built in SC. You get a great look at the lights but I am not knowledgeable enough to tell which design they are.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/26/2...partanburg-sc/
Thanks for the link. If you click on the photo gallery to reveal a slew of 2011 pics, there's a close-up shot of the headlight cluster with the DRL on. Those corona rings are definitely in LED.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM
arjuno arjuno is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Billings, MT
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
You are correct, first time I saw this pic. The other pic to compare it with is this one which has a close-up of the small connector at the bottom of the corona rings for the headlamp (I'm not sure what it does):

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2011-bmw-x5/full/#117

Thanks for the pic!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 AM
0428's Avatar
0428 0428 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,567
Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2011-bmw-x5/full/#39

Why does it have a hole?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM
arjuno arjuno is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Billings, MT
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
My only uneducated guess would be for the adaptive cruise?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-09-2010, 12:11 PM
ucube ucube is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: Waiting to order 2011 35d
Off topic: Looking at all those 2011 pics, the refreshed front and rear bumpers make a world of difference. That huge slab of black plastic on the 2010 rear bumper is just hideous.

Last edited by ucube; 04-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM
MarkInOhio MarkInOhio is offline
Registered User
Location: Avon Lake, OH
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '11 X6 xDrive50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
I found these hi-res pictures of the 2011's being built in SC. You get a great look at the lights but I am not knowledgeable enough to tell which design they are.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/26/2...partanburg-sc/
How do you know that vehicle is destined for North America?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Rosmoss Rosmoss is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInOhio View Post
How do you know that vehicle is destined for North America?
I think that's exactly the right question to ask. Those roof rails aren't available in North America except on the M Sport. The wheels don't appear on any equipment list for the X5 in North America either. Finally, there appears not to be any model designation on the front door. Based on all of that, I'd think its a fair guess that's this one is not bound for North America.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-09-2010, 07:35 PM
MarkInOhio MarkInOhio is offline
Registered User
Location: Avon Lake, OH
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: '11 X6 xDrive50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosmoss View Post
I think that's exactly the right question to ask. Those roof rails aren't available in North America except on the M Sport. The wheels don't appear on any equipment list for the X5 in North America either. Finally, there appears not to be any model designation on the front door. Based on all of that, I'd think its a fair guess that's this one is not bound for North America.
I agree, with the possible exception that I think those wheels are style 336, which is the 20" option if you order the Sport Activity Package in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 PM
arjuno arjuno is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Billings, MT
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Yeah I see that with the roof rails, in the US ordering guide, there is absolutely no way to get the M Sport aluminum rails as a priority 1 option. Those wheels seem to be the 336 rims. Are we missing something as to -why- they would change the headlamps for NA vs EU? I just can't see what the distinction is between the 2 markets when it comes to the headlamps.

Last edited by arjuno; 04-09-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Rosmoss Rosmoss is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInOhio View Post
I agree, with the possible exception that I think those wheels are style 336, which is the 20" option if you order the Sport Activity Package in the US.
You're right - Canadians can only get the 336 on the X6 50i. The only 20" option on the X5 50i here is w/M Sport.

As for why, I'd guess its either regulation or cost. Could be a height and brightness thing or that BMW gets a lot more for their vehicles outside of North America (and a lot more in Canada than in the US).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-10-2010, 06:38 AM
thebear thebear is offline
Registered User
Location: Coconut Grove
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: 2011 X5d / 2013 135is
The wheels shown are the 19" that come with the X5d sport package... Check out the

Equipment list on the 2011 x5 press kit
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 AM
thebear thebear is offline
Registered User
Location: Coconut Grove
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: 2011 X5d / 2013 135is
My bad... the 2011 X5d sport comes with style 335 19" rims not the 336 rims shown in the pic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms