Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucube View Post
Off topic: Looking at all those 2011 pics, the refreshed front and rear bumpers make a world of difference. That huge slab of black plastic on the 2010 rear bumper is just hideous.
I have an '03 E53 and, from much experience with my twice replaced back bumper cover, and once replaced front bumper cover, and their present less than beautiful condition, which is a striking contrast to the the rest of the car, my guess is that they went to the black bumpers to reduce noticeable bumper scuffs.

I would think that they went back to painted ones because of feedback that people thought the black looked ugly. I'm on the fence.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
The 2011 US X5s will be getting the LED corona rings, they did the US pre-launch of the X5 in the Florida Everglades and used quite a few Sparkling Bronze 35i(s) for the driving portion of the event this weekend.

If you look at the photos (400 of them) you'll see a ton with the front end DRL corona lit up. In a few you can tell the headlamp structure has the distinctive connection at the bottom of the corona ring that is absent from the 2010s headlamp structure.

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/p...sort=popular&=

The event also has a blue M Sport X5 50i and the EU version of the 40d on display.

This is the EU 40d with the 21" (style 215) rims.

Last edited by arjuno; 04-18-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M Sport
I'm not counting on it, this is an international launch and the dashboard pics show kilometers per hour and rear fog light switches.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjuno View Post
The 2011 US X5s will be getting the LED corona rings, they did the US pre-launch of the X5 in the Florida Everglades and used quite a few Sparkling Bronze 35i(s) for the driving portion of the event this weekend.

If you look at the photos (400 of them) you'll see a ton with the front end DRL corona lit up. In a few you can tell the headlamp structure has the distinctive connection at the bottom of the corona ring that is absent from the 2010s headlamp structure.

The event also has a blue M Sport X5 50i and the EU version of the 40d on display.

This is the EU 40d with the 21" (style 215) rims.

I thought this was an international launch. And there were some super busted looking people there.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
I'm wondering if those rectangular exhaust pipes from the 50i can be fitted onto the 30d. The rear fascia does look any different.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Well, this morning I spoke to someone in the BMWNA executive offices in Woodcliffe, NJ from their product relations department. She stated that omission of the whitish LED corona rings on the 2011 X5 was a product marketing decision based on packaging and price points for the US market (we have the cheapest BMWs in the world). She also stated that the headlamp cluster from EU X5 can't be retrofitted.

Needless to say, she also amended that by saying that this wouldn't necessarily be something that can't be re-evaluated for next year.

If they had enabled it as an option, I would've easily paid for it, guess I have to think about PIAA LEDs or some other option.

Last edited by arjuno; 04-23-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Well, this morning I spoke to someone in the BMWNA executive offices in Woodcliffe, NJ from their product relations department. She stated that omission of the whitish LED corona rings on the 2011 X5 was a product marketing decision based on packaging and price points for the US market (we have the cheapest BMWs in the world). She also stated that the headlamp cluster from EU X5 can't be retrofitted.

Needless to say, she also amended that by saying that this wouldn't necessarily be something that can't be re-evaluated for next year.

If they had enabled it as an option, I would've easily paid for it, guess I have to think about PIAA LEDs or some other option.
Well, that f@cking pisses me off. So much for this being a facelifted model. Thanks for old-ass headlights BMW. Eat sh!t.
Like you said, offer it as an option. BMW isn't afraid to gouge their customers for options so this shouldn't have been anything new if they were worried about "price points".

Last edited by Epacy; 04-23-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Yeah, it pissed me off to no end.

BMW makes some of the best cars in the world, but I question their marketing decisions. I wish they had enabled it as an option at least. The Angel Eyes have become their signature in the luxury/performance automobile group as much as the Roundel. Would've been good to keep up with the times.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Thanks for the info, Arjuno. Just curious, though...would a PR person from corporate really know whether the EU headlights could be retrofit? I think their agenda would be better served to just say no....
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 PM

Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 PM
BMW Fanatic

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Well, this morning I spoke to someone in the BMWNA executive offices in Woodcliffe, NJ from their product relations department. She stated that omission of the whitish LED corona rings on the 2011 X5 was a product marketing decision based on packaging and price points for the US market (we have the cheapest BMWs in the world).
Tell her "We also have the biggest BMW market and largest customer base for BMW compared to rest of the world." Over 50% of BMW's business is in US. Its sad BMW treats US customers like crap. US does not get all the options, colors, etc.

Honestly, whatever crap answer she gave you does not make sense to me.

Quote:
She also stated that the headlamp cluster from EU X5 can't be retrofitted.
I don't believe that. BS. Just wait and watch how many people buy the kits from Roveractive on ebay and retrofit it.

Quote:
We shall see. Everybody start calling the BMW NA office and be a pain for them till they fix this.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 AM

How much more could the led lights possibly cost? The new 3 coupe gets them and it's a similarly priced if not cheaper vehicle.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:04 PM
BMW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the J-Man View Post
How much more could the led lights possibly cost? The new 3 coupe gets them and it's a similarly priced if not cheaper vehicle.
My guess is it will at least 4 figure number.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 Coupe/'11 E70 35i
Hopeful, but...

I just ordered a 2011 X5 XDrive35i for my wife and it's being built next week (week 40). They are updating the Week 40 and beyond builds with the new iPhone compatability, so I'm hopeful that they'll throw the LED Angel Eyes in the mix as well, but I'm not holding my breath. I've seen half a dozen 2011 X5s and none of them have the LEDs so far.

For aftermarket mods, go to: http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/X-Se...duct_info.html. My buddy just ordered a set for his 2007 E92, so if they work out well (which I have heard they will) I'll install them on my 2010 E92, as well as my wife's E70. I'll update everyone after we install his LEDs.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
I found these hi-res pictures of the 2011's being built in SC. You get a great look at the lights but I am not knowledgeable enough to tell which design they are.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/26/2...partanburg-sc/
aren't the pictures in the gallery from the original press release? If so isn't that a euro spec vehicle? I though I remember conversation about the headlight cluster coming up at some point. The headlight clusters in those pictures are different than the north American version.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 e90 m3, 2011 x5 35d
i orderd a 35d with prem and tech and i don't have 8tl
Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInOhio View Post
How do you know that vehicle is destined for North America?
I agree with you, here is the tip for other friends on the forum who does not know how to differentiate a car which is destined for USA vs rest of the world.

We have the UGLY ORANGE reflectors on the bumpers (DOT standard)
The car on the pic is going somewhere else on the world. The tiny litlle hole on the bumper is side view camera.

I cant stand any orange on the car. Reflectors are useless and does not compliment the cars look. Ohh well USA has its own laws. We got to live with it. ( i already smoked it out with window film)
Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 Coupe/'11 E70 35i
We just got our week 40 build...a X35 Premium...with halogens, not LED eyes. It was an amazing process though. Built last Monday, assembled last Tuesday, on the truck that night, delivered Friday morning. I toured the factory in Munich, and loved it, but the process is still quite impressive.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Picked up the 2011 brochure from the dealer this week. It states "new LED daytime running lamps" in two places. I pick up my new X5 this morning, maybe it has them??
Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 e90 m3, 2011 x5 35d
it wont bud...i picked mine up monday and was let down!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 PM
BMW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobamoo View Post
Picked up the 2011 brochure from the dealer this week. It states "new LED daytime running lamps" in two places. I pick up my new X5 this morning, maybe it has them??
False advertising. Its on the BMWusa website too, not just the brochure.

Last edited by LeMansX5; 10-22-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Yep, picked my car up Friday, no LEDs. Oh well, small detail in my book, this car is AWESOME!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:33 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Clearing Up the LED/Angel/Corona Ring/8TL lights

Perhaps I am misunderstanding all the threads I have seen on the above subject but I just received my week 42 BMW X5 50i and it DOES indeed have white LED Daytime running lights! Now the LED's are built in and discharge into the corona ring lights and when the lights are in daytime position (first click of the light knob from the right) instead of on automatic, they glow a brilliant white color and they look great! I will try to post some photos when I can.

When I was at the dealership picking the vehicle up, I was parked between a 335is and a 5GT and the corona rights were exactly the same brilliant white color as both of these vehicles. I asked the SA to turn the lights on in both cars and sure enough they were identical!!

But when I turned the lights to the automatic position (far left position of the light knob) they reverted to the yellow/off white color corona rings when the xenon headlights were on and ambient light was low.

From speaking to the BMW dealer and their source at BMW NA, this is the 8TL feature that was active on from week 40 (and possibly some week 39) production X5's. They removed the 8TL from the build sheet as they sometimes do because it is a standard/basic feature that cannot be changed or optioned out or deleted and is therefore not showing up on the list.

I think alot of this has been hyped up by people thinking that the LED lights were going to be a ring of lots of individual LEDs when the same distinctive corona rings in white is much more impressive in my view. Hope this helps and look forward to comments and feedback

If you have a week 40 or newer build give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: X5, E70 4.8i
Mine does not have LED coronas and my build start date was October 13th, which is week 41.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agsir4 View Post
Perhaps I am misunderstanding all the threads I have seen on the above subject but I just received my week 42 BMW X5 50i and it DOES indeed have white LED Daytime running lights! Now the LED's are built in and discharge into the corona ring lights and when the lights are in daytime position (first click of the light knob from the right) instead of on automatic, they glow a brilliant white color and they look great! I will try to post some photos when I can.

When I was at the dealership picking the vehicle up, I was parked between a 335is and a 5GT and the corona rights were exactly the same brilliant white color as both of these vehicles. I asked the SA to turn the lights on in both cars and sure enough they were identical!!

But when I turned the lights to the automatic position (far left position of the light knob) they reverted to the yellow/off white color corona rings when the xenon headlights were on and ambient light was low.

From speaking to the BMW dealer and their source at BMW NA, this is the 8TL feature that was active on from week 40 (and possibly some week 39) production X5's. They removed the 8TL from the build sheet as they sometimes do because it is a standard/basic feature that cannot be changed or optioned out or deleted and is therefore not showing up on the list.

I think alot of this has been hyped up by people thinking that the LED lights were going to be a ring of lots of individual LEDs when the same distinctive corona rings in white is much more impressive in my view. Hope this helps and look forward to comments and feedback

If you have a week 40 or newer build give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Please take picture of your headlight assembly and post it.