Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550
Question random growling gurgling noise at around 23mph

hey guys I have searched all over but I'm not sure I have found he answer to this

2007 550.... 35k miles

usually within the first 10 minutes of driving, when i reach around 23 mph i get a growling gurgling sound.. seems to be coming from the front rght of the car. It doesnt always happen, only occasioanlly.. at most once per ride, not even every day. If i keep my foot stead it goes away after a few seconds of if i push down on the pedal it goes away as soon as the car increases speed.

it seems to happen more when going up a slight incline and the foot is barely on the gas. if i push down harder after hearing the noise, it goes away. It is louder than the engine sound, almost seems to replace the engine sound, but not sure if it is the engine. it's not super loud but definitely noticeable.

to describe it better, it sounds like somone slurping the last of a soda, but with a loud metallic echo... it could also be something scrapy, but it is more a low, dull, hollow sound. ghhrrhhhllllll.

hope someone can diagnose this.. the bmw dealership guy said he had no clue, and it is hard to reproduce, since it barely happens. I need some leads so I can tell him what to check when I take the car in.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by OstrichLlama; 04-05-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
This one is gonna be difficult to diagnose without actually hearing it myself. Go on a test drive with a tech or the shop foreman at the dealership. They're always willing to go on test drives with customers, so they can fix the problem. My test drives were always around the block about a 2 mile drive. If I didn't hear nothing I would state the infamous "could not duplicate." Could be the a/c or suspension? Or could be air being suck in from the intake (that makes a slurping sound which is normal)? Don't know. My advice test drive with a tech since you still have warranty.

I had a 645 once that had a weird grumbling noise at lower speeds. I ripped apart the dash, listening to suspension, did ever possible thing you can imagine.. Had the thing for over week. What was the culprit of making the noise? He would always pour cheaper gas. 87 octane.. Freaking amazing.. Pour in 92 octane never saw the car again. Car noises are the most difficult to diagnose and paid the worst.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM

thanx ex.... i think i'm going to go with ball bearings.. since the noise does sound like a low grind.. maybe i'll just have them take the wheel apart and see if theres anything funny with the bearings and/or tires, since some other threads seem to point to those as issues for similar noises.

If anyone has other ideas let me know, thanks!

p.s. i would never ever ever pour low octane gas into my pprrreeeacious!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM

if its a wheel bearing that noise would be constant and it gets louder as you go faster. A simple check, jack the car up, alternate pushing and pulling from each hand first at the 3'o clock and 9'o clock position then 12 o' clock and 6 'o clock to see if there's major play. Check the tires if there making noise. You said it's coming from the front right, take that wheel and put it on the back left. If the noise changes then you got a tire issue if it doesn't then you narrowed it down to that area. Do you big aftermarket rims? Those seem to wear the bearings quicker.

BMW has this neat diagnostic machine that pin points suspension noise. Its a box with around 8 wires and at the end it has clamps like what you see on jumper cables. Each wire is tag with a different color and you clamp different suspension parts with the wires. You go on test drives with the box in the car with a pair of headphones and re-produce the sound switching a knob to each of the color or wires. If you hear the noise more on a certain color you keep narrowing it down to the problem by bringing back into the shop, lifting it up, move all those clamps to that area.

But I would just take it to them and why worry you have the a great bumper to bumper warranty
Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 PM

hehe yeah i won't do it myself... that would, in fact, void my warranty. they may figure it out, or not, but i will have to pay insurance on the rental for every day they are scratching their heads.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:30 PM

I would take that bill to the service dept. manager stating that I don't feel comfortable driving my kids, wife, etc around with that noise being present until it's fixed. Have the dealership fork up that bill. It's not your fault that your vehicle is not working to spec and that your paying rental fees. If I didn't figure something out in 2 days or whenever it was promised, i would have team leader, shop foreman, service writers asking me whats going on. Remember to them it's all about CSI (customer satisfaction index)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:06 PM

ahh thats great advice. i wonder though, with all the confusing problems bmws have if the shop foreman ever honors such requests. he probably has tons of people hounding him for all kinds of compensation. everyone i know with a bmw has un-solvable problems that nobody at the dealership can solve.. i'm not even exaggerating. my car has tons of electrical bugs too, from the ac popping on at random, to the computer failing to boot.

still love the car though. a minor price to pay -- computers always have glitches.. it's unavoidable.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
I have heard of a similar issue before. Does the car shudder around 20mph when the issue is occurring? If so, and it happens only the first time through that shift point then settles down, it's a "feature" of your software based transmission. It will generally be more pronounced when cold and will usually act up only the first time it shifts (if you upshift or downshift it will subside).

That's the good news, the bad news is when you take it for service they will tell you that the problem cannot be replicated by the technician. I'm not sure that BMW has an update that will alleviate this problem and solve the "rough stop", acceleration dead spot, and other issues that people have noticed with the software based transmissions. The shudder might be the lesser of all evils.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM

oh man thats great news!! yes i think that's correct, it happens usually with one of the first upshifts, and it does feel like a sight rumbling/shuddering of the car. combined with all my other computer issues, a software update would be a great fix.