Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 Z4 3.0i
aftermarket GPS recommendations?

Just bought a 2009 Z4 30i with premium, ipod/usb & smartphone integration, but no navi--price was so good I figured I'd take some of the $ I saved and spend it on a decent aftermarket navi. any recommendations? I want something that will talk and at a minimum can take downloads from Google maps--full Internet connectivity would be even better.

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster
Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, auto, comfort access, cold weather pkg, Sirius, sport, alarm, ipod & smartphone integration

BMWCCA member #402504
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2010, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdoran View Post
Just bought a 2009 Z4 30i with premium, ipod/usb & smartphone integration, but no navi--price was so good I figured I'd take some of the $ I saved and spend it on a decent aftermarket navi. any recommendations? I want something that will talk and at a minimum can take downloads from Google maps--full Internet connectivity would be even better.
TomTom is the way to go in my opinion. Before I bought my 10' X5, we used the TomTom in my Audi and wife's Mini. We loved it, she still uses it when needed.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:31 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
There are two map providers: Navteq and Tele Atlas. Tomtom owns Tele Atlas, while Garmin and Magellan use Navteq. You can see Tele Atlas maps on Google maps, and Navteq maps on their web site. I have been using a Tomtom device (XL330S) for a couple of years, and while I like the software the maps contain errors. Tele Atlas incorrectly maps the area around my home, and once tried to route me to Salt Lake City when I wanted to go from Barstow to Palm Springs without dropping into the LA basin. So I strongly prefer Navteq maps. I would look at a Garmin 755t as a good example of a device that uses Navteq maps and it is the model that I currently have. Like you, I already have Bluetooth and an iPod interface in my car. Garmin's higher spec'd models add those features and so would be redundant in my situation.

Last edited by Cliff; 04-16-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Garmin Nuvi FTW.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 AM

any model # suggestions? I want to be able to browse my route, preferably (not essential but nice) have voice input, of course voice directions & lane guidance, real time traffic, Internet connection at a minimum for map updates. I think both the Garmin nuvi 1690 and Tom Tom go live 740 have everything. I think the Tom Tom looks nice, but $10/month for their data plan adds up fast.

I have the browse route function on my '03 accord and it's extremely useful! While driving a route, I can browse the map--I don't have to go into simulation mode or anything else, it's a very natural capability. From reading the website, the Garmin only has that capability when not guiding. Is that right? How about the tom tom?

any others recommended?

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster
Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, auto, comfort access, cold weather pkg, Sirius, sport, alarm, ipod & smartphone integration

BMWCCA member #402504
Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Call Ivan @ 973-780-9541

Send a message via AIM to BMWofBloomfield
Mein Auto: Z4MC/540i/Boxster/Supra
Congrats on the new roadster. Here's a nifty Garmin at a great price:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inc...1552916&sr=8-1

One of the few out there that allow you to voice input directions.

Ivan Romero
Business Manager
BMW of Bloomfield
973-780-9541
iromero@bmwofbloomfield.com
www.bmwofbloomfield.com
Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525I
Garmin 765T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	226702  
Old 04-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Do these garmins let you browse your route while you are driving?

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster

BMWCCA member #402504
Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 AM
TMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdoran View Post
Do these garmins let you browse your route while you are driving?
Yes.

You know, the manufacturers make their user guides available for download from their respective web sites. Personally, that's the approach I take with most of my product research, especially when I need detailed answers to specific questions. It's efficient.

Last edited by Cliff; 04-18-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 f150 supercrew
I absolutely love the alpine pndk3. Super easy to use and super accurate. In a close second id say the tom tom go 740 live
Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
Yes.

You know, the manufacturers make their user guides available for download from their respective web sites. Personally, that's the approach I take with most of my product research, especially when I need detailed answers to specific questions. It's efficient.
Thanks. I've been through their sites and browsed specs but it wasn't apparent from that level of research. Didn't think of downloading the manuals (Duh!). thanks

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster

BMWCCA member #402504
Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 AM
Banned

Thanks I'm now also considering buying one, now your opinions are useful guys!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 35i
garmin Nuvi