Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M5
Trouble removing wheels

I was so excited to leave work tonight to come home and replace the brake pads on my E39 M5. Took the lugs off, but the wheel won't budge! Any suggestions? Is there something I should know? I haven't really worked on my car a whole lot. I've done a lot of brakes, just not on the bimmer. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525 2000 M5
Take a rubber mallet hammer and wack the inside of the tire in a couple spots. It should come off. I coat the hub with anti-seize so they don't do it again.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M5
mnepitjr is correct

There is a chemical reaction between alloy wheels and steel hubs or rotor housings that cause them to bond. Patient whacks around the inside of a raised rim with a rubber mallet will work the wheel loose. There are several products sold at automotive supply stores that can be applied to the rim surface to keep it from bonding with the hub.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 Z3 2.8, 02 M5, 90 SHO
I've found the sit on the ground and kick the living crap out of them until they fall off(wheels, not feet) my preferred method. Then a wire brush to the hub and some anti-seize will fix the problem for the next time.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: E39 M5 Titanium Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnepitjr View Post
take a rubber mallet hammer and wack the inside of the tire in a couple spots. It should come off. I coat the hub with anti-seize so they don't do it again.
+1
In the amount of times it takes your breath away..///M5
I'm off to the asthma clinic....
Old 08-19-2010, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Agreed, sit on the ground and kick the sole of your foot against the tire as hard as you possibly can. If they are still stuck after that, put the lug nuts back on finger tight, then back them all off a half turn. Set the car back down and drive it about 5 feet. Jack it back up and they'll come right off.