Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
99 740iL driveability problems

Hi,I have a 1999 740iL with the following issues:at times it will stall at idle and at times it will hesitate/stutter while driving.I was able to put a scanner on it and found it had 4 codes-103 (PO605)internal control module read only memory (ROM) error,115 (PO100)mass air sensor circ.,131&132 (P1531&1532)throttle actuator circuit.I'm not sure what to make of the code 103 or if it's of any concern.I understand that a MAF code is normal when there is a vacuum leak so I looked for leaks with a smoke machine and found a large leak at the seal between the plastic block behind the throttle body and the front of the intake manifold so I'm thinking that repairing this should take care of the 115 (MAF) code.What I'm not sure about are the 2 throttle actuator codes-is there a way of testing the throttle actuator?It would have to come off to repair the vacuum leak so that would be the time to replace it if it does need it.Thanks very much for any advice,Jack.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
if you found a leak, then fix that first and retest. a vacuum leak could cause havoc on the system because the pcm is trying to control something that it cannot 'see' and assumes the lack of control is caused by whatever the program logic indicates.

it may come back, or it may not. no sense in jumping to conclusions beyond the obvious.

good luck with the repair, and keep us posted.

df