Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan Altima 3.5SE Coupe
iDrive iPod Shuffle - Am I missing something?

Hey All-

So I picked up my new 2010 335i xDrive Coupe the other day - my first venture into the BMW realm - and I've been slowing adapting to all of its features.

I'll post some pics once I clean it up.

Anyway, I have the NAV System with the iDrive and iPod cable. I have an iPod Touch and while it integrated just fine with the iDrive, I can't for the life of me find an option to play my tracks randomly.

I can either select to play all tracks, which it does alphabetically (which really isn't much of a help as I have a lot of duplicate song titles (studio version / various live version), or I can select an album.

Is a track shuffle option simply not available or am I just missing something?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks-

2010 335i xDrive Coupe | Black Sapphire / Black Dakota Leather | Sports Package | Premium Package | Cold Weather Package | Navigation | Steptronic w/Paddle Shifters | 35% 3M Tint All Around
Ads by Google
Old 04-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: Soon to be 2010 328XI!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag2112 View Post
Hey All-

So I picked up my new 2010 335i xDrive Coupe the other day - my first venture into the BMW realm - and I've been slowing adapting to all of its features.

Anyway, I have the NAV System with the iDrive and iPod cable. I have an iPod Touch and while it integrated just fine with the iDrive, I can't for the life of me find an option to play my tracks randomly.

I can either select to play all tracks, which it does alphabetically (which really isn't much of a help as I have a lot of duplicate song titles (studio version / various live version), or I can select an album.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks-
When you have the ipod screen up on the LCD, you should be able to hit the options button and you will see a Random music selection.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan Altima 3.5SE Coupe
I have GOT to get into the habit of hitting that options button more often.

THANK YOU!

2010 335i xDrive Coupe | Black Sapphire / Black Dakota Leather | Sports Package | Premium Package | Cold Weather Package | Navigation | Steptronic w/Paddle Shifters | 35% 3M Tint All Around
Old 04-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Hey All-

Appreciate the help.

Thanks-
Congratulations on the new ride!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I have GOT to get into the habit of hitting that options button more often.

THANK YOU!
Yup, that took me the longest to getting used to. A lot of stuff is hidden in that options menu on various other menus!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Hey All-

Appreciate the help.

Thanks-
You can select shuffle when you list all songs. I do it all the time. Push the iDive knob down, and select shuffle.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM

Anyway to get the BMW to remember this setting? Everytime I listen to an Ipod Playlist, I have to select Randomize..
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sedan
Bump. Is there a way to make the random setting stick? In my 2008 E90 it kept the random setting until I changed it manually or removed the iPod. In my 2011 it removes the random setting every time I turn off the ignition.

CJ Freitag
2011 328xi, Titanium Silver/Black, Step, Sport, Premium, Nav, Xenons
Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfreitag View Post
Bump. Is there a way to make the random setting stick? In my 2008 E90 it kept the random setting until I changed it manually or removed the iPod. In my 2011 it removes the random setting every time I turn off the ignition.
This could explain a lot! During our ED my wife and I were playing music from both of our iPods, a USB drive, and music that was loaded from the USB drive to the hard drive. We have CA and were using both of our keys. We would be driving along and my wife would suddenly realize that we had been listening to the same album or artist more than once. Once while I was driving she found the random setting and it was unchecked, so she checked it and that seemed to solve the problem. I know that when she was driving and I was playing around with the entertainment options I had previously checked the random setting.

I started wondering if it was tied to the fob preferences, or possibly each individual iPod, the USB drive, or the music on the hard drive, i.e., each individual source.

In two weeks of driving I feel that we had explored every possible option of the navigation system and had completely understood it, but I never got the sense that we fully understood exactly how the entertainment system worked. Besides the obvious reasons, this is one reason why I'm really looking forward to re-delivery, to finally figure this stuff out.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
So I had this same challenge as I acclimated myself to my 335is. I just hit shuffle on my iPod, then plugged it into the car... I like this way better.

When you use the shuffle function via iDrive, can you re-shuffle (skip song) with the -> arrow button? When I tried this with my iPod set to shuffle, it just restarts the current track...

(And OT, but what do I have to do to get album cover art to display? My split screen is not picking this up from iPod for some reason and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.)
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
You should jailbreak your iPod touch and install NoAccessorySplash and then you can use the iPod controls to change playback. I much prefer to use my iPod's interface to select songs. There's nothing quite as intuitive or fast as it.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootsama View Post
So I had this same challenge as I acclimated myself to my 335is. I just hit shuffle on my iPod, then plugged it into the car... I like this way better.

When you use the shuffle function via iDrive, can you re-shuffle (skip song) with the -> arrow button? When I tried this with my iPod set to shuffle, it just restarts the current track...

(And OT, but what do I have to do to get album cover art to display? My split screen is not picking this up from iPod for some reason and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.)
Hitting the down arrow will skip to the next shuffled song.
As long as you are connected via USB it should pick up the art. I have found that certain albums will not display no matter what you do.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,

Last edited by 3284me; 06-13-2011 at 10:04 AM.