Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
SVEGA4290

Send a message via AIM to svega4290
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x3
2004 x3 timing belt? or chain?

does the 04 x3 3.0 have a timing belt or chain. looking up info for this car isnt as easy as i thought. if i had a m3 or even a 3series it would be different. lol i feel discriminated when it comes to the x3
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Chain. Don't think BMW ever bought into timing belts.

Maybe 325i between '87 and '91 and some 5 series as lates as '95.

Your previous car must have been a Honda!

Last edited by Supercourse; 04-09-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM
SVEGA4290

Send a message via AIM to svega4290
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x3
lol its actually my first car i'm still learning a lot about bmw vehicles
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 PM
sapper

Mein Auto: 02 WRX, 06 X3
Yeah belts suck. I replaced one on my WRX. Had to take out a hell of a lot of things to get to it. Twice because I left out one of the waterpump bolts after reassembly. :P
Old 04-10-2010, 12:31 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Chain. Don't think BMW ever bought into timing belts.

Maybe 325i between '87 and '91 and some 5 series as lates as '95.

Your previous car must have been a Honda!
The M20 engine uses a timing belt. BMW used variants of the M20 from 1977 until 1993.

The M20B25 powered the 1989 and 1990 e34 525i. From '91 on the 525 used the M50 and that engine has a timing chain.

I think the last year for an M20 powered 3 series in the US was 1990 or 1991. After than the 325i also switched to the M50 engine.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by svega4290 View Post
lol its actually my first car i'm still learning a lot about bmw vehicles
The same here as well. Im learning too but good to know I need a chain. I was told I had a belt because it needed to be changed and was sprayed for it to last a little longer until I get a new one but BMW swears I have a chain?
Old 04-27-2016, 04:47 AM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i, 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcrogers View Post
The same here as well. Im learning too but good to know I need a chain. I was told I had a belt because it needed to be changed and was sprayed for it to last a little longer until I get a new one but BMW swears I have a chain?
I have to assume the belt to which you refer is the accessory drive belt. There is a belt to drive the alternator, water pump and power steering. The timing chain is internal and drives the camshafts.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarnold View Post
I have to assume the belt to which you refer is the accessory drive belt. There is a belt to drive the alternator, water pump and power steering. The timing chain is internal and drives the camshafts.
Im just seeing this... thank you so much for that... if one of my mechanics says they can spray it but its cracking and needs to be replaced, is that the drive belt or timing chain? And does it affect starting the car or is it a starter issue?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-24-2017, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 99 328i, 08 X3
That's your serpentine or accessory drive belt - two names for the same belt. The car will start without the belt, but you won't have any alternator output, power steering or air conditioning. The belt being bad and needing replaced doesn't directly have anything to do with the car starting.

This would be a great first DIY job. To do it right, you probably want to get the contitech kit that includes the belt, idler pulley, and tensioner. I think they're about $80.

AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post
That's your serpentine or accessory drive belt - two names for the same belt. The car will start without the belt, but you won't have any alternator output, power steering or air conditioning. The belt being bad and needing replaced doesn't directly have anything to do with the car starting.

This would be a great first DIY job. To do it right, you probably want to get the contitech kit that includes the belt, idler pulley, and tensioner. I think they're about $80.

AM.
Thank you AM. Do you have any suggestions where I can purchase it at that price? I live in Virginia so local is great but if have to go online, thats fine.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
RockAuto.com. Go with the Contitech/Continental (sp?) brand _kit_ if available for your year.
Modifications:
All stock except dashcam

Since 3/2017, also restoring a
2008 BMW X3 base-model
Modifications:
Dashcam, cargo cover
Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i, 08 X3
https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/X3...04&e=180&m=228

FCP doesn't sell a Continental kit, but the individual pieces appear to add up to about $73 with free shipping. They're on the east coast, so you should get quick service.

It looks like some 2004's must have used the old hydraulic tensioner (the first style listed on the referenced page), so you'll need to verify by looking at yours to see which kind you have. You might be able to use the newer mechanical style tensioner regardless. Perhaps someone with experience on that will chime in or you can search the forum for "hydraulic tensioner" to see if you can convert.

Yours uses a separate belt and tensioner for the A/C, so just make sure you're getting the accessory belt components (water pump, power steering, alternator). You want to replace the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley.

AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
2004's came with mechanical tensioners (for main drive belt and the A/C belt). Owners that complained during warranty period about noise were upgraded to hydraulic tensioners (probably under a Service Bulletin).

Don't know why - surely the pulley bearings that make the noise and not the spring in a mechanical tensioner.

But I suppose a hydraulic design makes for smoother operation all round.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWaufKS View Post
RockAuto.com. Go with the Contitech/Continental (sp?) brand _kit_ if available for your year.
Thanks guy, will do some research so I can get it asap and installed asap.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post
https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/X3...04&e=180&m=228

FCP doesn't sell a Continental kit, but the individual pieces appear to add up to about $73 with free shipping. They're on the east coast, so you should get quick service.

It looks like some 2004's must have used the old hydraulic tensioner (the first style listed on the referenced page), so you'll need to verify by looking at yours to see which kind you have. You might be able to use the newer mechanical style tensioner regardless. Perhaps someone with experience on that will chime in or you can search the forum for "hydraulic tensioner" to see if you can convert.

Yours uses a separate belt and tensioner for the A/C, so just make sure you're getting the accessory belt components (water pump, power steering, alternator). You want to replace the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley.

AM.
Thank you man and I really needed to know that because the one you mentioned that deals with the starter is the one that I needed asap! Will look at the site and have me peeps advise me when to get it and when they can put it on for me.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
2004's came with mechanical tensioners (for main drive belt and the A/C belt). Owners that complained during warranty period about noise were upgraded to hydraulic tensioners (probably under a Service Bulletin).

Don't know why - surely the pulley bearings that make the noise and not the spring in a mechanical tensioner.

But I suppose a hydraulic design makes for smoother operation all round.
I brought this car under a private dealer not commercial, so if they didnt keep up with the updates, then Im paying for it now.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search