Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
Airbag Light on 2004 530i

Hello:

I've recently encountered, among other issues, the airbag light on my 2004 BMW 530i coming on. I've already had the floor mat sensor replaced as per the previous recall. However, now the dashboard airbag light has come on.

I had my car serviced by an independent shop specializing in BMWs to have a belt-tensioner replaced. I asked them to check why the airbag light was on and their scan returned over 20 separate error codes. They determined this wasn't really feasible, and decided to reset the airbag light and have me bring the vehicle back should the light return on in order to re-diagnose.

Immediately upon resetting the light, it returned, and produced the same 20+ error codes. They stated they further investigated, and have determined that the front-passenger side of my vehicle is causing the airbag system not to communicate. They inquired as to whether I've had body work done to the car, or previously been in an accident. The vehicle has never been in an accident, nor has it had any body work done.

They've told me determining the issue is a very large undertaking requiring a lot of dis-assembly and can't quote me a rough estimate on how long it would take to diagnose the error.

I see any insight as to whether this is a common issue with '04 530i, an what the possible cause may be.
Ads by Google
Old 04-10-2010, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: E60
According to my dealership in Greensboro, this was a common problem on the E60 and was actually a recall, they offered to fix mine for free...I was just in Raleigh last weekend and spoke to some guys at the dealership over off of Capital (401 or US 1, I get those mixed up) they were saying the same thing. I would let them scan your key and see what pops up for factory recalls.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90-JDMCB7 View Post
According to my dealership in Greensboro, this was a common problem on the E60 and was actually a recall, they offered to fix mine for free...I was just in Raleigh last weekend and spoke to some guys at the dealership over off of Capital (401 or US 1, I get those mixed up) they were saying the same thing. I would let them scan your key and see what pops up for factory recalls.
Hello JDMCB7:

I very much appreciate your time and consideration in replying to my thread. That said, you are correct in that the '04 BMW 530i had a recall on the front passenger floor mat sensor. The floor mat would crack after frequent use, and wouldn't be able to tell a passenger was inside the vehicle. This would cause the overhead "Passenger Airbag OFF" light, as well as the dashboard light to come on.

I took my vehicle to Leith BMW (the one on Capital) and had the car serviced for this recall. They replaced the floor mat sensor as per the recall and it alleviated the overhead light issue. However, the dashboard light remained on. They could not get my car's airbag system to communicate with their computer, and considered it an entirely separate problem than that which was caused by the now completed and serviced recall.

Leith BMW wanted $250 to perform a "scope", in order to determine the problem. So, I took my car to an independent BMW shop which offered to perform this same action for $88. This is where they informed me that the airbag system has no communication, and the source is the front right passenger side. My initial, uninformed reaction was to suspect that it was still related to the recall. However, both shops insist otherwise, which has me now confused.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
I have an 05 545i. When my wife sits in the passenger seat the airbag light will sometimes come on. She is fairly light, 120 pounds. As long as she sits nice a straight in the seat, it's fine. If she sits a bit crooked, the light comes on. When a heavier person sits in it, the light stays off.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlintiaga View Post
I have an 05 545i. When my wife sits in the passenger seat the airbag light will sometimes come on. She is fairly light, 120 pounds. As long as she sits nice a straight in the seat, it's fine. If she sits a bit crooked, the light comes on. When a heavier person sits in it, the light stays off.
You should call BMW USA and give them your VIN #. That is the exact problem they issued the recall for. When the passenger floor mat sensor wears out, lighter people will not activate the airbag, although heavier people still may.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:58 AM
More Enthusiasm than $$$$

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Hey bud,

I just would like to say, Good Luck With all of that. I had the same problem with my 04 525i.
They charged me the diag fee of 300. They also separated the airbag light from the recall. It really pissed me off.
I paid it, they kept the car for 2 days when I got it back the airbag light came on again. I took it back this time they said $1200.
I called BMW NA and they ended up fixing it for free.

This was all last year.

Last month my car was stolen. When it came back, curiosly the airbag light was on. Even more curious is the fact that the dealer said it was not theft related and it was recall related.

so they "fixed" it again.

I was informed by the sa that they have to do a seat mat replacement kit before they can be authorized by BMW to replace the actual mat in the seat.

long story short. CALL BMW NA AND COMPLAIN

2004 525i 6spd sport package tinted windows
2006 MazdaSpeed6 grand touring stock