Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: a car
How to change rear emblem?

It seems the emblem (82mm) and its surrounding chrome trim is one piece? Do I remove it whole with dental floss? Or does the actual emblem pop off like the one on hood?
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2010, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
The emblem (roundel) comes off very easy. The best way, in my opinion, is to drill a 1/4 whole in the center of the old emblem. Be careful not to drill through the trunk. Now, insert a screwdriver in the new hole you just drilled and pull the roundel off. No damage to paint, no prying around the roundel with the potential to scratch your paint. Pull old grommets out with needle nose pliers. Clean away the dirt from the area. Insert new grommets and then press new roundel firmly in place. The new roundel should have a black ring of double sided tape on the inside edge.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 AM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrun View Post
The emblem (roundel) comes off very easy. The best way, in my opinion, is to drill a 1/4 whole in the center of the old emblem. Be careful not to drill through the trunk. Now, insert a screwdriver in the new hole you just drilled and pull the roundel off. No damage to paint, no prying around the roundel with the potential to scratch your paint. Pull old grommets out with needle nose pliers. Clean away the dirt from the area. Insert new grommets and then press new roundel firmly in place. The new roundel should have a black ring of double sided tape on the inside edge.

drill a hole in the roundel?!?! use a screwdriver to pry it off?!?!

wow

post a DIY with pictures

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 04-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750i
I used a credit card and just worked one side then the other a little at a time.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
here is a better method since drilling your bimmer sounds crazy lol. no offense. take a microfiber towel or 2 and some electric tape. take the screw driver (flat head) and put electric tape on the end of it.make sure u put enough so it wont scratch ure paint. now take the microfiber towel and place it under the screw driver and pry it slowly it will come off . do one side at time . once you get it high enough you can just ure your hand to pull the rest out. just be carefull dont get to excited
Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
I know the drill routine sounds drastic, but my local BMW tech suggested this to me when I replaced mine this weekend. I thought it was silly until I tried it and it worked well for me and the dealership. I have done many with a screwdriver/tape/towel and it can work great. There is just a higher risk of a pry scratch or scrape on the paint outside of the emblem.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
fishing line and yank it.

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
heat dryer and dental floss, we are fully stocked with all emblems

Old 04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
02 745Li-Blk Saphire/Tan

Mein Auto: 02 745Li
dental floss or fishing line like Diz said.... The drill is good, but can be disasterous if ur not experienced....!

Borbet 128's
H&R Springs
Shadowline / Sport Trim
Dual Exhaust
ACS Lip and Spoiler
Fully Loaded
Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Mein Auto: 05 BMW 745Li
So this damn thing doesn't have any screws holding it down ? My hood emblem blown away once but lucky enough it was still under warr. Yeah...
Old 04-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Just to clarify I am asking about the REAR emblem, which has a chrome bezel around the actual emblem. I am assuming from the previous answers that my perception the shroud/bezel and the emblem are NOT one piece as I thought. Therefore with a small screw driver the removal is same as the front (hood)?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Did you ever get an answer to this.

I can find many tutorials for the hood roundel, but not the trunk/boot emblem....
Old 05-15-2010, 05:43 AM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
After some investigation, it would appear the best way to remove the rear badge is to remove the boot/trunk upper trim panel and snip the grommets from behind, remove the badge and clean up the adhesive gasket with some T-Cut.

Just in case someone thinks the chrome surround is a seperate piece to the badge, it's not. Although the 82mm badge does match the front, the chrome surround is part of it and therefore the pin holes are wider than those on the bonnet..

In order to mod my car with carbon fibre badges all around, I've had to:

1. Peel off the BMW logo from the chrome surround. With the correct tool you can achieve this without destroying the chrome surround.
2. Drill 2 holes (same width as bonnet) to mount the new badge (using grommets & silicon) over the OEM chrome surround, clamp and leave to allow silicon to go off.
(You could do this without silicon, but it helps to prevent theft and provides a seal between the new badge and the chrome OEM)
3. Re-apply the new chrome/badge combo using a new sticky gasket and grommets.

It's a bit of a work up (compared with the other badges, which take seconds) but it's worth it in the end..

I could've simply used an overlay sticker for the rear, but the carbon fibre weave effect doesn't match and looks a tad **** tbh

EDIT:
The supplier has now informed me a 78mm adhesive version is available that will 1) fit over the OEM 78mm badge (within the chrome surround) and 2) features genuine carbon fibre (as opposed to others around on a certain auction site which are just **** lol)

So, I'll be keeping my 2nd 82mm badge as a spare for the front now in case some scruffy oik nicks the one I've installed...

Let this serve as an advisory, buy adhesive overlays if you can as the rear emblem is a pain in the ar**

Last edited by Mr_Burger; 05-15-2010 at 11:34 AM.