Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-06-2017, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto:
Couple of questions about vanos

So I have read the besian write up and some of the threads on the forum, quite a bit actually. Now I am new to BMWs so I have a couple of questions about this vanos seals replacement.
First, I have a 2000 528i, it has the inline six in it. Do I have a single or double vanos?
Next, do I need this special cam alignment tool to do this job correctly and efficiently?
I could not find my answers anywhere else so I am asking you guys. Thanks
Jamie

Sent from my SM-N920P using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Yours is a double vanos and as far as I know, no timing tools needed, although I used one.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2170
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 02-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
You have m52tu engine with double VANOS so this will not affect timing. Here's the procedure which includes the parts and tools you need: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

FWIW: I am not a mechanic so I was totally dependent on Beisan's procedure and it did not disappoint. I used Beisan's kit on my 525iT years ago. However, for my 528iT (m52tu) I used i6MotorWorks.com's kit because it includes more parts for less. It even includes piston gaskets which aren't available from BMW or Beisan Systems. The results are exactly as Beisan describes. Right down to the fact that it eliminated intermittent dip in RPMs when the 528iT was warming up in cold weather.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPlanet View Post
You have m52tu engine with double VANOS so this will not affect timing. Here's the procedure which includes the parts and tools you need: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

FWIW: I am not a mechanic so I was totally dependent on Beisan's procedure and it did not disappoint. I used Beisan's kit on my 525iT years ago. However, for my 528iT (m52tu) I used i6MotorWorks.com's kit because it includes more parts for less. It even includes piston gaskets which aren't available from BMW or Beisan Systems. The results are exactly as Beisan describes. Right down to the fact that it eliminated intermittent dip in RPMs when the 528iT was warming up in cold weather.
That is my problem now is the rpm dip in cold weather starting.
Thank you guys for helping me with this. I plan on following the besian systems site for the instructions on doing this. I plan to do this the weekend after this one so I will start ordering everything that is needed. Was it the Teflon seals you got with yours jaxplanet? I don't want to have to do this job again anytime soon. How many miles have you already put on your 525? Can you send me the link to where you got your parts from? Thanks a million.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw528iman View Post
That is my problem now is the rpm dip in cold weather starting.
Thank you guys for helping me with this. I plan on following the besian systems site for the instructions on doing this. I plan to do this the weekend after this one so I will start ordering everything that is needed. Was it the Teflon seals you got with yours jaxplanet? I don't want to have to do this job again anytime soon. How many miles have you already put on your 528iT? I will definitely check those guys out for parts as well. I had planned on using besian for my parts and fcp or pelican for the rest of the stuff. Thanks a million.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:55 PM

i6motorworks.com Seals are Teflon and o-rings are Viton, same as Beisan. The only parts you need with this kit is the VCG and grommet set, as described by Beisan. I recommend Genuine BMW, because you don't want to do it again

I picked them up at my local BMW dealership because they were less than anywhere else when I added shipping. I compared pricing at FCPEuro.com, Autohausaz.com, and GetBMWParts.com.

I recommend that you check the condition of vacuum pipe #3 (which includes hoses #4) before starting this procedure. It disintegrated when I removed my VC: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DP63-USA-09-1999-E39-BMW-528i&diagId=11_2203[/url]

The 2003 525iT was 12 yrs. old with 71K and the 2000 528iT was 17 yrs. old with 65K when I did this procedure.

Last edited by JaxPlanet; 02-06-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: 03 530i MS
A good straight forward job, make sure you have the right tools, may as well do spark plugs and valve cover gaskets whilst open, also need vanos to cyl head gasket 11-36-1-433-817. I did this last year on my M54 with great results....
Old 02-07-2017, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Ok cool, thanks guys. I'll call the dealer this morning and see what they will charge me for a valve cover gasket. I'm sure I'll need the plastic hose that comes off the valve cover too. My car is 17 years old with 170000 on it. This is my wife's daily so I want to make sure I have everything I need before I tear into it. I was thinking of going ahead and putting a water pump on it too while I have it apart,just for good measure. I just replaced my plugs about 300 miles ago so they are good. After doing some research, I got the ones everyone seemed to be using on this forum with good results.
I will also check out the other gasket listed as well to see how much that one will set me back.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i M-sport 5spd
Installed the Dr Vanos unit on my 2000 528i last year-costs more than doing your own seal replacement but made the work VERY simple plug/play swap...as mentioned above, no need for cam tools, etc. for this work.
Good luck/Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-07-2017, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto:
Ok, there's a plastic hose that comes off of the valve cover, i believe it goes to the oil separation system but I can not find the part number on real OEM, does anyone have that or know exactly what it's called so I can get one? I know it's old and it will break as soon as i wiggle it. The besian systems guide says to wiggle it to keep from snapping it off.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw528iman View Post
Ok, there's a plastic hose that comes off of the valve cover, i believe it goes to the oil separation system but I can not find the part number on real OEM, does anyone have that or know exactly what it's called so I can get one? I know it's old and it will break as soon as i wiggle it. The besian systems guide says to wiggle it to keep from snapping it off.

See pic...I believe this is the part; p/n: 11611432559 ('vent pipe')....I wriggled the connection at the valve cover end and removed this w/o any difficulty, it's a bit of a tight fit but I think you can get if off w/o breaking it - worked for me.

Good Luck/Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11611432559.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	588878  
Old 02-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
See pic...I believe this is the part; p/n: 11611432559 ('vent pipe')....I wriggled the connection at the valve cover end and removed this w/o any difficulty, it's a bit of a tight fit but I think you can get if off w/o breaking it - worked for me.

Good Luck/Bill
I would like to wiggle it loose without breaking it as well but I know i will try and pull it too hard lol. I replaced one similar to that not too long ago when I was pulling the manifold so I could replace vacuum lines and the gasket on the manifold, would those possibly be the same?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 AM

It's a snug fit as it's an air tight seal but if you depress the oval 'lock' and wriggle/pull with some care you'll be fine - it may be plastic but it's not that fragile.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
It's a snug fit as it's an air tight seal but if you depress the oval 'lock' and wriggle/pull with some care you'll be fine - it may be plastic but it's not that fragile.
Ok, then I think I will just be very careful with it. I only have to remove the top it looks like. I will take my time with it and try not to "man handle" it, that's how I broke the other one, I pulled too hard. I plan on starting this next weekend. I think I am going to go the rebuild route because I would love to have the experience of rebuilding it and I can save a few dollars to put into some other part I may have to purchase. Thank you for the help Bill and to all the other ppl on here. I can't wait to dig into it and rebuild it. I started making a list this morning while I'm at work so I have all my stuff in order. I want to order this week so I can have the stuff by next weekend. I am going to have a fun Saturday it looks like

Old 02-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Just pinch on the ribbed part of the connector and gently wiggle it loose. If you break it, you can always wrap it with silicone tape until a replacement arrives so you won't be stranded.

The tape is made by many vendors and probably available at your local hardware store. I keep a role in the car for emergency repairs. Here's what I have: https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape-...ds=rescue+tape
Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto:
I have ordered all my parts for the vanos rebuild. I bet I have read that procedure site 100 times. It seems very straight forward. I ordered my parts from fcp euro and the seals from besian systems. I like fcp because of the speedy delivery and the lifetime warranty on everything. I did have to add a few tools to the collection too. I'm used to working on American cars so my box was always standard and not metric but it's becoming alot more metric with everything the car has me do. Gotta love it, thanks for all the help. I hope to get this done next weekend.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Get extra Torx bolts.

VCG: BMW OEM only.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto:
I ordered two of them. Its the vanos fit bolts I think? The besian guide had them on the list.

Jamie

2000 BMW 528i
Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto:
I also ordered all genuine parts. I don't want to do this job twice on the same car. I do have to go to the stealer for a couple of banjo washers for the oil supply line on the vanos. I could not find those at fcp.

Jamie

2000 BMW 528i

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search