Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-31-2015, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: 528, 1997
Emabarrasing situation

Is there a way to manually open the trunk lid through the opening between the rear seats, with a long object,
for instance?
The battery went dead for some reason, and the trunk lid will not open, not with the handle, with the remote, or with the key.
The lock is in the vertical position.
The doors of the car are open.
The key does not open the drivers door either, so may be it has been changed sometime in the past.
I know there is a jump starting point in the motor, but car the is parked so that cables from
another car will be too short.
I can buy a mobile jump starter, but may be there is another solution?

By the way, there is a constant, creepy ticking sound coming from under the fuse box in the glove
compartment.
the light in the box is blinking in unison. The sound disappears when I remove fuse 11, servotronic.
The car is 528, 1997.
All advice very much appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2015, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: 540iA Sport
If you have the pass through seats you should be able to get the emergency release pull (triangle). I'd have to check the manual for other ways to open it.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:36 AM
One wheel roaster

Mein Auto: 1998 bmw 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornulv View Post
Is there a way to manually open the trunk lid through the opening between the rear seats, with a long object,

for instance?

The battery went dead for some reason, and the trunk lid will not open, not with the handle, with the remote, or with the key.

The lock is in the vertical position.

The doors of the car are open.

The key does not open the drivers door either, so may be it has been changed sometime in the past.

I know there is a jump starting point in the motor, but car the is parked so that cables from

another car will be too short.

I can buy a mobile jump starter, but may be there is another solution?

By the way, there is a constant, creepy ticking sound coming from under the fuse box in the glove

compartment.

the light in the box is blinking in unison. The sound disappears when I remove fuse 11, servotronic.

The car is 528, 1997.

All advice very much appreciated!

Take the battery out of the other vehicle so it is portable.

current
1993 740il chipped
1997 Range Rover HSE 4.6
parting out
1998 540i sport, cold weather package. 18" M-pars, clear corners, M5 bumper.
sold
1999 528i sport premium
1997 540i premium
Old 08-31-2015, 05:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
Turning the key full left in the trunk will open it manually.

2001 BMW 540i/6 Sport, under the knife
Old 08-31-2015, 05:25 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
+11 The key may seem to need to be "forced", but it is usually because the lock is used so seldom manually. Use a FIRM, steady hand and unless lock and/or key do not match, It will open. Or, as others said, get a jump from another vehicle running to hot tap under hood and to good ground like strut bolts. Then your electronics will work again. Let donor charge your battery for a while.

Ticking sound from under dash is a common issue and may go away on its own with battery charge. IIRC, it is the general module, FSU, or LCM and I can't for the life of me remember which. Check current draw from in truck once you charge fully. After cars goes into sleep mode (16 minutes) draw of battery should be well under 100 Ma. When you break circuit to add in meter, you will need to wait another 16 minutes to put car to sleep again. Be patient and DON"T open and other doors! You can also snag hanging emergency trunk release with a broom handle pulling it straight down. I would just get a jump.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530I Sport
Get longer jumper cables. Mine are 15' long, purchased from a gas station for 9 bucks.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540iA
Use 2 jump cables.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 AM
Older than old school

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 k75s
Try the key first, as suggested by nsogiba and 540iman. I've seen this come up over and over. See below

Old 08-31-2015, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Even if you do not have a ski bag pass through, the top portion of the back seats is held on literally by 2 bolts.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi; 1998-528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
Even if you do not have a ski bag pass through, the top portion of the back seats is held on literally by 2 bolts.

And what about the metal sheet behind the seats (assuming that they're not pass-thru)?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak2012 View Post
And what about the metal sheet behind the seats (assuming that they're not pass-thru)?
Dremel. Fix the issue while modding the car for future ski bag access!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5721473
Old 08-31-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
Dremel. Fix the issue while modding the car for future ski bag access!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5721473
Perfect!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:41 AM

Thanks guys. The trunk lid is now open, with the aid the jump starter in the motor.
The key definitely dont fit any lock, and the emergency triangle was missing.

The car will not start though, connected to the other cars battery via the jumper in the motor, no crancking, only blinking/ticking on the dashboard.
Whats strange is that my battery shows fully charged, though I only have one of these cables with a pin in both ends and a row of red lights to measure with, but the lights lit on 6 and 12V, but maybe this equipment is not accurate enough.
IF battery is ok, what could be the cause of such a response, or lack of response?

The only thing I did between car starting and not starting, was to replace the panel for heating, A/C, blower speed, as this had some dysfunctional buttons.

I also took out the battery from the other car, to test if my car would start with, but disconnected it almost
immediately, as the battery poles and cables became hot.
Then I took the battery from the BMW and connected it to the other car, and it worked fine.

The car now gives of a loud alarm signal when I try to reconnect the battery, so for the moment I cant connect the battery.
I suppose it is a warning, but for what?

Maddening situation!

Any suggestions?

Last edited by ornulv; 09-01-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: to supplement the text
Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 spd
Quote:
Thanks guys. The trunk lid is now open, with the aid the jump starter in the motor.

The car will not start though, connected to the other cars battery via the jumper in the motor, no crancking, only blinking/ticking on the dashboard.
Whats strange is that my battery shows fully charged, though I only have one of these cables with a pin in both ends and a row of red lights to measure with, but the lights lit on 6 and 12V, but maybe this equipment is not accurate enough.
IF battery is ok, what could be the cause of such a response, or lack of response?

The only thing I did between car starting and not starting, was to replace the panel for heating, A/C, blower speed, as this had some dysfunctional buttons.

I also took out the battery from the other car, to test if my car would start with, but disconnected it almost
Then I took the battery from the BMW and connected it to the other car, and it worked fine.

The car now gives of a loud alarm signal when I try to reconnect the battery, so for the moment I cant connect the battery.

Maddening situation!

Any suggestions?

Maybe the anti theft is engaged? Unlock it with the remote? But you have no remote. There must be some type of reset switch
Old 09-02-2015, 06:58 AM

I had a similar but different situation with the alarm and battery

Quote:

Maddening situation!

Any suggestions?

The siren is in side the rear passenger wheel well (or at least it was in my 1998 528i). My battery was dying. There is a battery inside the siren. If it can no longer charge, then as soon as there is power, it's going to scream. My solution was to replace the siren with a used one.

In the meantime, there is a fuse above the battery in the trunk for the alarm. You can pull that and then hook up the battery. The diagram should be on the 'door' to where the battery is.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak2012 View Post
The siren is in side the rear passenger wheel well (or at least it was in my 1998 528i). My battery was dying. There is a battery inside the siren. If it can no longer charge, then as soon as there is power, it's going to scream. My solution was to replace the siren with a used one.

In the meantime, there is a fuse above the battery in the trunk for the alarm. You can pull that and then hook up the battery. The diagram should be on the 'door' to where the battery is.
Yes, I took out the fuse, but this battery in the siren, is it discharged because the main battery is down,
will it be recharged when the main battery is ok?.

By the way, I suspect the alternator is bad. I have charged the battery, though I dont think it will last long,
the car starts, but the motor starts to die out if I dont give a lot of gas.

Is this a sign of a worn alternator and are there other ways to check if it is the battery or the alternator?
The manual warns against disconnecting the battery when the car is running, else it could be checked by this method, that is , if the motor stops when disconnecting the battery, its the alternator?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:45 PM

I don't know if the battery will recharge. IN my case, it didn't. I continued to have the siren issue overtime I unlocked the car.manually or with the remote. I made sure it wasn't the sensors, and if it's the siren - the easiest thing is to replace it with a working one.