Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 525
Passenger side mirror plastic cover keeps falling off

How do I stick the passenger side door mirror cover on?

It seems to just be a press fit.
But it keeps falling off.

I see tiny plastic rails but no clips.
What makes it stay on?

I don't see anything broken.
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport
I actually had the driver's side cover blown off in a tropical storm. I wasn't aware of it until one of the gardeners brought it to me. He found it many hundreds of feet away from where I was parked. I was disturbed at how loose it fit when I tried to clip it back on. There were places where it looked as though some small plastic protrusions had broken away. I finally used a small bead of cyanoacrylate glue (Crazy Glue). That was 8 years and a hurricane ago and it's still there.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: 02 E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurwood View Post
How do I stick the passenger side door mirror cover on?

It seems to just be a press fit.

But it keeps falling off.

I see tiny plastic rails but no clips.

What makes it stay on?

I don't see anything broken.

Mine fell off when I was washing my car. Not sure which one you have but mine are held on by 4 thin clicks that break over time from being dried out, especially in the hot desert of Nevada. And I didn't want to apply hue so I just replaced it. Passenger side.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 540iA
Buy 2 new ones off ebad and have them painted. Had one fall off at the car wash, but picked up 2 from ebad quite reasonably. (bout $10-15ea) My car is white so just got out a can of Rust-O and it's a pretty good match. The new ones don't fall off at all.

They come primer grey, but if you wanted to save $$ instead of sending them out for paint you could paint them flat black from a can. Flat black matches everything.

Jim

Last edited by MKJS; 01-10-2017 at 10:11 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
mirror

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search