Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
Not at all. Read my other threads. I'm just talking about your particular case. You really should read the wealth of information and then you would understand. I was just trying to short cut you to your solution. You should read and you would probably reach it on your own. Certain clues in what you described that's all.

From here I'm going to direct you to do your own homework. Shouldn't be giving you the answers.

Yea, Ill get right on it.

Brilliant advice. I would never have thought to read up on this issue.

Last edited by Flybot; 02-21-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
I try to help you, answer your questions, and this is the lip I get?? Sorry I bothered~ Figure it out for yourself if you don't like an informed response. gheez...
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: '98 528
My issue with the ABS/ASC is fixed, as posted above, which did not include blindly replacing/rebuilding my ABS module. Your "help" is late, incorrect, and not very helpful. I normally avoid responses to rubbish, but today is just one of those days.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM
resident, old fart

2 days would not be "history" in my book, but there was no call to be smart to someone taking the time to try and help you. By all means I hope you are good to go, but I won't bother you with responses any more-I promise.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding. Maybe my post precipitated it, and, if so, I apologize.

540iman has been instrumental in giving us the DMM test and the pinout for the newer E39s, so we can run the diode test on the hall-effect sensors. It's simply amazing that we even HAVE a test for the sensors, because all the tests I know of for the ABS control module are complicated, and fraught with red herrings.

Likewise, Flybot has been instrumental in pointing us to a thread (which I had not known about) which shows the same test for the older E39s - but with a different pinout. This is great additional information.

I, for my part, took the information from both of you and combined it as best I could and made the references available to everyone else via the bestlinks and a summary post above (and to the canonical ABS trifecta thread).

So, the good news is that, together, we're a well-honed team.

99% of what I write is for the benefit of the next person - and I take the great information YOU GUYS give me - and put it together for them.

Thanks & kudos to BOTH Flybot and 540iman!
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 318ci
I was driving my BMW 520i SE manufactured 2000 today and without any warning, the speedo stopped, the ABS and ASC light lite up on the dash and the fuel flow meter on the dash stopped working, the tripometer doesnt clock any miles up now either. I called out the AA mechanic who believes its a speed sensor on the wheel but would that of isolated all those dials, i have now booked the vehicle into BMW for a service check on that issue as the car only had a full service 500 miles ago and a MOT in february. Does the diagnostic check sound familiar to anyone and is it a expensive job , help please
Old 04-19-2013, 08:35 AM
resident, old fart

I would cancel the stealer appt., remove ABS module, and send to BBA for attempt at rebuild. You can drive car while module is out. BMW will say there is no way they can predict when a module will go out even if it were 10 miles after you left the stealer.
Could it be a speed sensor? Maybe, but doubt it due to number of things that went wrong at once. Sounds like module to me and at 12 years plus, you need it looked at anyway. Dealer will quote you $2000- you watch and see...
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM

BMW 520i se

Hoyya thank you for the info, best check my bank balance by the sounds of it, hopefully it may be a quick fix but as you say with so many items failing in one go it sounds bad. The car still runs OK but its nice having everything working. I will check out the speed sensor and see if i can find any obvious faults with it, BMW waiting list for service is nearly 2 weeks, not good for a quick fix. May approach a local garage and see what happens, thank you again for some direction, at least my GPS will let me know my speed in the meantime
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM

BMW 520i se

Hiyya thank you for the info, best check my bank balance by the sounds of it, hopefully it may be a quick fix but as you say with so many items failing in one go it sounds bad. The car still runs OK but its nice having everything working. I will check out the speed sensor and see if i can find any obvious faults with it, BMW waiting list for service is nearly 2 weeks, not good for a quick fix. May approach a local garage and see what happens, thank you again for some direction, at least my GPS will let me know my speed in the meantime
Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 AM
resident, old fart

You will find better knowledge here than BMW will give you or most indys-not all, but most.
You can do it! Pull the ABS module (remove one big plug and 6 screws and mail it off.
Look on Ebay for an auction repairing BMW ABS. See if you can find an auction for BBA to do the work. About $100 bucks for a re-build or nothing if yours can't be re-built. INDYs don't use re-builders nor do stealers as it just takes the money you have that they want. If you are going to own a BMW, you best get comfortable working on it. Read the many threads.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
I would first do the diode test to make sure the wheel speed sensors are good, if they are then send the unit for repair.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 PM

Just did another check on my car, going by info on this forum, when started from cold, warning lights out but no speedo or fuel swing meter, sounds like it could be that ABS computer but will double check it again in the morning to confirm. thank you to date for all the info, i would of been lost without it
Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 525dts manual 1998
E39 TDS ABS pre 98 Touring - Don't use KOED ABS sensors.

Sorry for not reading the answers in this tread, and I think I have a different car. But here in Scandinavia we get cheaper E39 parts from KOED. Generally O.K. But not for the ABS sensors (which differs before and after 98). For those I had to use the original BMW ones (or second hand ones from the scrap yard). The KOED ones works for a while, and gradually ceases. And gives the initially described problems. The original ones, for one year now, still just fine.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnstru View Post
Sorry for not reading the answers in this tread, and I think I have a different car. But here in Scandinavia we get cheaper E39 parts from KOED. Generally O.K. But not for the ABS sensors (which differs before and after 98). For those I had to use the original BMW ones (or second hand ones from the scrap yard). The KOED ones works for a while, and gradually ceases. And gives the initially described problems. The original ones, for one year now, still just fine.
When you buy sensors for BMW I would only buy OE or OEM sensors. Some aftermarket sensors might work, but I don't want to be a guinea pig.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 PM

I did a search for a supplier of the ABS module and luck has it there is a depot not far from us that repairs the not only for my car but various other makes, so monday i will be paying them a visit to check mine out, thought i would get the expensive item done first as BMW will probably just install a brand new one before they do anything for 3 or 4 times the cost. At least if i get the expensive item checked and done before i take it to them, they will only be left with the speed sensors, thats if the problem still exists after i get the unit changed. well worth checking out the site :
http://www.ecutesting.com/bmw_5_seri...s_pump_mo.html looks like it does most ECUs for other cars also
Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 PM

i am taking your advise, found a place local to us that does ECU modules for most makes of cars at a cheap price, well worth a visit on monday, thank you for your advise, check out lkink:::

http://www.ecutesting.com/bmw_5_seri...s_pump_mo.html
Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy999 View Post
I did a search for a supplier of the ABS module
Do us all a favor and update this thread with what you've found:
- What are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 AM

I am pending a diagnostic check of the car system as the ECU repair dept has today specified that if they changed the unit it may still be the speed sensor, they do a postal exchange which repair time is 3 to 5 days however they are local to us so it is imaterial to us, problem is i need to know what is wrong to get the problem part fixed but cant do that without a check, I drove ten mile yesterday and the lights remained off and the speedo worked, when i restarted my car after 20 minutes, the lights came back on and the speedo did not work. When i got home i removed the AbS module ,( six toque screws and a electrical harness ) let it cool down for about 5 minutes, reinstalled it and hey ho , no lights and everything worked ok.But it still need a diagnostic check to confirm whether it is the speed sensor or module, the module fix is about 150, speed sensor range about 100 so i have been told, so the plot thickens, car still works ok though. Been advised not to drive car without ABS module connected as mine is a automatic and the car may go into limp mode.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
But it still need a diagnostic check to confirm whether it is the speed sensor or module
If you read the references, you will find that there is really no such test unless you either resort to opening it up and probing the 7th aluminium wire with a toothpick or if you happen to have a replacement ABS control module handy to do a car-to-car swap.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
How
Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Is there an ABS sensor in each of the tires? I noticed the left/front wheel sensor is damaged and needs replacing.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge7perez View Post
Is there an ABS sensor in each of the tires? I noticed the left/front wheel sensor is damaged and needs replacing.
Read the thread referenced in post 2. It explains everything you asked.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM

abs sensors

Hi yes there is sensors on each wheel, however when the control unit went defective in the engine compartment i had to take my car to BMW to have it checked out and they found the speed sensors were ok and it was the control unit, hence why i got it repaired and it has worked ok since. The speed sensors are fitted by one torque bolt but be careful removing it as BMW snapped mine whilst trying to get it off to check it. I have found you can buy speed sensors quite cheap on Ebay should you need one. The breakdown person said to me the nearside front was defective, BMW told me the computer was showing the rear nearside was defective but when all were checked none of them were defective and it was the control unit. The signs that the control unit is dective is when you start your journey and everything is ok but when you restart car when hot, the speedo does not work, the abs light comes on, the fuel flow meter stops and the yellow triangle lights up. If you leave the car overnight then it is all ok again until you get a hot engine. The placing of the control unit is close to the exaust manifold and the heat from it dries out the solder joints in the control unit, you can fix a heat shield across the side of the control unit to prevent the heat from getting to the contol unit if it still works ok,hope this information guides you in the right direction as changing one speed sensor may not fix the problem if the speedo , abs warning, fuel flow and dont work
Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
you can buy speed sensors quite cheap on Ebay
Before going that route, see this thread:
- What BMW E39 parts & supplies are most often recommended to buy OEM from a dealer or sponsor (1)
Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 PM

control unit

If you buy a new control unit from the stealer dealers you have to pay to have it programmed, if you get it repaired as per one of my previous links, it doesnt need re programmed