Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW E30 325i
Question M20 engine vibration at 1200 rpm

I am trying to figure out why I have an engine vibration that is exacerbated when under load at around 1200 rpm, but is there, although less pronounced, even when the motor is not under load. I have an M20 engine that just had its timing belt and water pump changed. I thought maybe it was worn out motor and transmission mounts so I changed them too but the vibration still exists. We tore the front of the engine down and removed belts and pulleys to try and isolate the vibration, but it still persists. We are at a loss as to what is causing this. The harmonic balancer is fine. Anyone have an idea what this could be? i
Ads by Google
Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamers View Post
I am trying to figure out why I have an engine vibration that is exacerbated when under load at around 1200 rpm, but is there, although less pronounced, even when the motor is not under load. I have an M20 engine that just had its timing belt and water pump changed. I thought maybe it was worn out motor and transmission mounts so I changed them too but the vibration still exists. We tore the front of the engine down and removed belts and pulleys to try and isolate the vibration, but it still persists. We are at a loss as to what is causing this. The harmonic balancer is fine. Anyone have an idea what this could be? i
Flex disc, CSB, or a bad driveshaft, possibly?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 PM

I will take a look at that perhaps. It started when my mechanic changed the timing belt and water pump.

Last edited by alamers; 04-12-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: figured out what a csb was
Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Nope its not the drive train because it vibrates while still in Park. It is an automatic. Perhaps it is the torque converter? Has anyone had experience with this?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:11 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Nope its not the drive train because it vibrates while still in Park. It is an automatic. Perhaps it is the torque converter? Has anyone had experience with this?
Are all of the exhaust mounts and hangers in tact and secure?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 86 325es
Quote:

Cam to crank timing didn't get off a tooth?

Potential damage to wires like CPS or the CPS itself?

Do you have the time to go back to your mechanic and explain that this was noticed after the work? Hopefully they are nice and can check it out without cost.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Straight Bimmin

Mein Auto: 91' 318ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntrix View Post
Cam to crank timing didn't get off a tooth?

Potential damage to wires like CPS or the CPS itself?

Do you have the time to go back to your mechanic and explain that this was noticed after the work? Hopefully they are nice and can check it out without cost.
+1 if they messed something up they should fix it free of cost considering you paid them to do a job and messed up something up

Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
mine has the same issue, what was the resolve?? This one is driving me crazy
Old 11-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to bimmeupscottiee
Mein Auto: 1987 325is
Is it just vibration? Are you having a low idle? Like syntrix said CPS or possibly other sensors not being plugged in. But if you cant figure it out +1 on taking it back to the shop you had do the work.

"I knew a guy who bought a used car through a newspaper. Ten years later...bam...Herpes."
Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
I believe it is my idle too low