Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: a 6er soon!
How does SMG work?

I am thinking about buying a 2004 with the SMG transmission. How exactly does it work? I have heard you have two choices: 1. Drive in manual with paddles 2. drive in auto. Is this how it works? Does the automatic setting drive exactly the same as the normal automatics? Can you use sport mode in automatic? haha sorry... I'd love for someone to explain this to me...
Ads by Google
Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 E64
what is so funny? what is with typing random haha's everywhere? how old r u?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Here's what Motor Trend had to say about the SMG in 2002...

Shifty Business: 2002 BMW M3 SMG
the most sophisticated transmission available in a production car

From the August, 2002 issue of Motor Trend - Leave it to BMW to make something special out of a transmission. Its sequential manual gearbox has been officially named SMG, and it's a seriously high-tech piece. Like the Magneti-Marelli system employed by Ferrari, Maserati, and Aston-Martin, BMW's is an electrohydraulically managed six-speed manual. It, too, offers a fully automatic mode and easy-to-flick paddles on the steering column--in this application, they move with the wheel, so they're never out of reach. But it goes well beyond offering just a Sport mode. In fact, there are six distinct shifting maps. Every such notion needs an exclusive name, so BMW calls it Drivelogic.

The driver may select mode A1 (relaxed shifts, low-rpm upshift points, late downshifts) to A5 (fast, high-rpm shifts, and ultra-quick downshifts). We found A1 and A2 just too lazy for our tastes under almost all conditions. A3 is just right for normal driving, A4 ideal for spirited runs through the mountains, and A5 for playing non-virtual Granturismo3. And then there's A6, which amounts to full-commando upshifts that occur in 0.08 sec. Drivelogic also works when the trans is set for fully automatic operation. A handy dash icon reminds the driver which overall mode the transmission is in and which Drivelogic mode is selected.

The toughest aspect of driving our SMG-equipped M3 was getting a good launch at the track. Senior Road Test Editor Walton's notes were as follows: "Mash pedal to floor, prepare for wheelspin, revs climb to 4000, clutch drops, tires light, back out of throttle, tires slow, wheels begin to grip, almost bog, and off you go. Easy, huh?" That said, the system is superb in everyday use.

SMG costs $2400, cheap enough for the hardware and technology. As with any of these clutchless manual transmissions, some drivers like them and some don't. Those who want one will love BMW's SMG. BMW still offers a pure-as-gear-oil six-speed stick. The SMG is a good piece, and its purchaser can be satisfied that the only guys driving a BMW with a more sophisticated transmission are named Schumacher and Montoya.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaj View Post
what is so funny? what is with typing random haha's everywhere? how old r u?
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
Here's what Motor Trend had to say about the SMG in 2002...

Shifty Business: 2002 BMW M3 SMG
the most sophisticated transmission available in a production car

From the August, 2002 issue of Motor Trend - Leave it to BMW to make something special out of a transmission. Its sequential manual gearbox has been officially named SMG, and it's a seriously high-tech piece. Like the Magneti-Marelli system employed by Ferrari, Maserati, and Aston-Martin, BMW's is an electrohydraulically managed six-speed manual. It, too, offers a fully automatic mode and easy-to-flick paddles on the steering column--in this application, they move with the wheel, so they're never out of reach. But it goes well beyond offering just a Sport mode. In fact, there are six distinct shifting maps. Every such notion needs an exclusive name, so BMW calls it Drivelogic.

The driver may select mode A1 (relaxed shifts, low-rpm upshift points, late downshifts) to A5 (fast, high-rpm shifts, and ultra-quick downshifts). We found A1 and A2 just too lazy for our tastes under almost all conditions. A3 is just right for normal driving, A4 ideal for spirited runs through the mountains, and A5 for playing non-virtual Granturismo3. And then there's A6, which amounts to full-commando upshifts that occur in 0.08 sec. Drivelogic also works when the trans is set for fully automatic operation. A handy dash icon reminds the driver which overall mode the transmission is in and which Drivelogic mode is selected.

The toughest aspect of driving our SMG-equipped M3 was getting a good launch at the track. Senior Road Test Editor Walton's notes were as follows: "Mash pedal to floor, prepare for wheelspin, revs climb to 4000, clutch drops, tires light, back out of throttle, tires slow, wheels begin to grip, almost bog, and off you go. Easy, huh?" That said, the system is superb in everyday use.

SMG costs $2400, cheap enough for the hardware and technology. As with any of these clutchless manual transmissions, some drivers like them and some don't. Those who want one will love BMW's SMG. BMW still offers a pure-as-gear-oil six-speed stick. The SMG is a good piece, and its purchaser can be satisfied that the only guys driving a BMW with a more sophisticated transmission are named Schumacher and Montoya.
Awesome sounds great to me. How do you switch the drivelogic modes? Can you switch through these modes in full auto?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantoser View Post
I am thinking about buying a 2004 with the SMG transmission. How exactly does it work? I have heard you have two choices: 1. Drive in manual with paddles 2. drive in auto. Is this how it works? Does the automatic setting drive exactly the same as the normal automatics? Can you use sport mode in automatic? haha sorry... I'd love for someone to explain this to me...
Avoid. fun for a lease but costly to repair. About $8-$10k replacement cost and only the dealer can program the thing.

My observation from reading countless posts.

1. Automatic tranny lovers love automatic trannys.
2. Manual tranny lovers love manual trannys.
3. Those who had or tried SMG? about half liked it and half hated it. The new system (DCT) with dual clutches appears to have corrected many of the shortcomings of SMG.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrandon View Post
Avoid. fun for a lease but costly to repair. About $8-$10k replacement cost and only the dealer can program the thing.

My observation from reading countless posts.

1. Automatic tranny lovers love automatic trannys.
2. Manual tranny lovers love manual trannys.
3. Those who had or tried SMG? about half liked it and half hated it. The new system (DCT) with dual clutches appears to have corrected many of the shortcomings of SMG.
wowww ok that 8-10k scares me. Maybe I'll just play it save then and go with auto. Thanks for letting me know
Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
When I bought the 645 SMG, I hate it at first, it was so jerky and knocking every time I change gear but after awhile I begin to like it and now love it. Especially in the sport mode it was even better…. When u have mastered the throttle & timing to up-gear & down-gear it really give you the joy of driving it (especially during the up-gear, it literally throws the car forward while the steptronic can't do that) don't expect the SMG work like your normal steptronic as it is really a different thing all together. The auto in the SMG is also different from the regular Auto…. I only use the auto when I'm stuck in a long traffic jam. However, if you're still skeptical, the auto/steptronic would still be the best bet. After all, this is just my opinion.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty3twenty2 View Post
When I bought the 645 SMG, I hate it at first, it was so jerky and knocking every time I change gear but after awhile I begin to like it and now love it. Especially in the sport mode it was even better…. When u have mastered the throttle & timing to up-gear & down-gear it really give you the joy of driving it (especially during the up-gear, it literally throws the car forward while the steptronic can't do that) don't expect the SMG work like your normal steptronic as it is really a different thing all together. The auto in the SMG is also different from the regular Auto…. I only use the auto when I'm stuck in a long traffic jam. However, if you're still skeptical, the auto/steptronic would still be the best bet. After all, this is just my opinion.
I share your sentiments regarding the SMG. Although I never disliked the SMG, it was more of having to grow accustomed to the system, I now enjoy it very much.

Awesome colour on your 6 coupe by the way!

-Morpheus
Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
Awesome sounds great to me. How do you switch the drivelogic modes? Can you switch through these modes in full auto?
I have never used the full auto mode. I can control the drivelogic in my M6 through either the iDrive system or using a switch on the center console.

-Morpheus
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Alright well I will give this some thought... Thanks for everyone's help! This will be my daily driver so I'm thinking having the automatic option is a must... If it was a weekend car I would definitely consider just going with full manual.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
Test drive will answer all your questions i test drove a SMG and ran for the hills.. I wanted a manual but here in the city traffic would make it so annoying.. Thought the SMG was best of both worlds but the jerkyness of it takes getting used to (so ive read). The auto/shift is cool for me i can get my manual thrill from time to time in Sport/DTC/M mode. << i call it my bat out of hell mode lol

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 04-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your input.
I was actually looking forward to your answer. All three of my questions really interest me.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaj View Post
I was actually looking forward to your answer. All three of my questions really interest me.
I am actually very thankful for your input...

Be a man and go pick on someone NOT on an Internet forum tough guy
Old 04-13-2010, 02:00 PM

And thanks to everyone else that actually provided info on my concern! Makes picking my next vehicle much easier!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Quote:
And thanks to everyone else that actually provided info on my concern! Makes picking my next vehicle much easier!
Good luck. Only you can determine what the right feel is for you. Once you are able to test drive the different cars, you will make the right choice.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I am actually very thankful for your input...

Be a man and go pick on someone NOT on an Internet forum tough guy
I wouldn't call it "picking" on you. I am really interested as to y someone would put "haha" randomly when they type...On the same, note, I am also interested y some people like to write a sentence with random letters capitalized.

Again, not picking on u, I was really hoping you had an answer.