Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
fair price?

Would you buy either of these?

1. 2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i, 70,705 miles, $26k - details: AWD, 1-Owner, Accident Free CARFAX!, 20-Way Power Comfort Seats, 4 New Tires, Cold Weather Package (3-Stage Heated Front Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, and Retractable High-Intensity Headlight Washers), Premium Package (Auto-Dimming Mirrors, Automatic Tailgate Opening & Closing, BMW Assist, Lumbar Support, Nevada Leather Upholstery, and Universal Garage Door Opener), iPod & USB Adapter, Panoramic Roof, and Running Boards.

2. 2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i, 77,019 miles, $28k - details: CARFAX CERTIFIED and Fully Loaded With Technology Package, Navigation, Back Up Camera, Cold Wather Package, Heated Leather, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Rear Climate Package, 1-Owner Since New, Extremely Clean and Priced To Sell! Navigation KEY FEATURES INCLUDE Heated Leather Seats, Heated Mirrors, Panoramic Roof, All Wheel Drive, Premium Sound System, iPod/MP3 Input, Aluminum Wheels. Rear Spoiler, MP3 Player, Steering Wheel Controls, Child Safety Locks, Rollover Protection System. OPTION PACKAGES COLD WEATHER PKG ski bag, 3-stage heated front seats w/fast heating 4-zone balance control, heated rear seats, retractable headlight washers, TECHNOLOGY PKG rearview camera, park distance control w/graphic display, BMW on-board navigation system, 8.8' display, expanded iDrive system, controller w/force feedback, voice activation system, real time traffic info w/dynamic re-routing, expanded on-board computer functions, PREMIUM PKG universal garage door opener, auto-dimming rearview mirror w/digital compass, auto-dimming exterior mirrors, front seat 4-way pwr lumbar, BMW Assist w/(4) years of service, storage pkg, ambient light pkg, auto pwr tailgate operation, REAR CLIMATE PKG 4-zone auto climate control, privacy glass, rear manual side window shades, SATELLITE RADIO, COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM, LIGHT POPLAR INTERIOR WOOD TRIM. Non-Smoker vehicle, Originally bought here, Serviced here. A GREAT VALUE This X5 xDrive48i is priced $4,900 below Kelley Blue Book. DRIVE WITH CONFIDENCE CARFAX 1-Owner
Ads by Google
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5d 2011 750xi
I probably wouldn't, given the mileage but if I were to, I would definitely go with the 4.8i hands down.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgchoi View Post
I probably wouldn't, given the mileage but if I were to, I would definitely go with the 4.8i hands down.
thx for the feedback. ref mileage - what don't I know? do E70s not last 300k miles like other BMWs (assuming I take care of it)?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i_guy View Post
thx for the feedback. ref mileage - what don't I know? do E70s not last 300k miles like other BMWs (assuming I take care of it)?
The 300k mile BMW ended with free (aka pre-paid) maintenance, 15k mile oil change intervals, and lifetime fluids - all introduced in model year 1997. Even the oldies were not necessarily defect free or cheap to maintain with age (I have had a few...) but they drove well. Newer BMW's probably have tougher mechanicals and would last with the old fashioned maintenance schedule, but they also have not gotten simpler or cheaper to keep on the road.
If you're looking for durability, less electric garbage, and no matter what, German V8's are more expensive to maintain long term than the 6 pots.
These are probably still young enough to extend life with realistic old school maintenance, but the 3.0i is likely going to be cheaper in the long term. That V8 has two very expensive issues: coolant pipe o ring in the valley of the engine and the valve stem seals.
If you want a bullet proof 300k mile SUV, get a Honda Pilot.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:12 PM

@FredoinSF - good stuff! this is what I was wondering about - what are the common mileage markers and costs for the 2 known issues you mention? Any others you can share?

The Honda idea is interesting. I made the mistake of driving a BMW once ... now I can't go back ...

My BMW reference point is late 70s / early 80s 3- and 5-series sedans while living in EU in early 90's. I've also noticed the same thing since the introduction of the pre-paid 'maintenance free warranty' model and was hoping I am wrong. Oh well ...

Why do I keep reading about people who are hesitant to own a BMW 'off warranty'?? I bought a loaded E39 w/ 144k miles in 2009 for $5k cash and it just hit 199k miles; it has been the lowest TCO vehicle I've ever owned and plan to run it for another 50-100k miles.

Last edited by 330i_guy; 11-06-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: literacy
Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 AM
BMW Nut

Mein Auto: 12 X5 x35i, 10 135i
There are a few pre-LCI 4.8i's over on xbimmers that look pretty attractive compared to the deals you've posted. Some slightly older MY, but some with fewer mileage, and enthusiast owned, which I always prefer.

I test drove a 3.0i when I started looking for a new SUV. Unfortunately it felt like a complete dog to me. I'm used to a pretty modded 135i and Honda S2000, but to be frank, there's almost no reason I would want to drive that thing over my wife's '11 Sienna XLE - which was kind of the whole point of this purchase. The dealer I went to didn't have any 4.8s on the lot, but the specs say it's still a tick slower than the newer x35i to 60mph, and I think my x35i is quick but not downright spritely. It probably depends on how long you plan to own this car for - if a long time, the 3.0 is certainly going to be a lot cheaper over time. If you only plan on using it 10k miles a year for 2-3 years, I'd definitely go for the 4.8.

Overall, I'd keep looking. Here are a couple forum cars to compare:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814017

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892170

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906156

the first one there looks like a really good deal if you don't mind a bit more mileage. One of the guys in that thread had just sold his higher mileage 4.8 for $23k, so the deals are out there.

2012 X5 xDrive35i Platinum Gray/Oyster/Burl Walnut
2010 135i Alpine 6 sp White/Coral Red/Black Alcantara M Sport
Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
fair price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i_guy View Post
@FredoinSF - good stuff! this is what I was wondering about - what are the common mileage markers and costs for the 2 known issues you mention? Any others you can share?

The Honda idea is interesting. I made the mistake of driving a BMW once ... now I can't go back ...

My BMW reference point is late 70s / early 80s 3- and 5-series sedans while living in EU in early 90's. I've also noticed the same thing since the introduction of the pre-paid 'maintenance free warranty' model and was hoping I am wrong. Oh well ...

Why do I keep reading about people who are hesitant to own a BMW 'off warranty'?? I bought a loaded E39 w/ 144k miles in 2009 for $5k cash and it just hit 199k miles; it has been the lowest TCO vehicle I've ever owned and plan to run it for another 50-100k miles.
My lowest cost per mile was my 91 318is. Slow but fun and fairly bullet proof. Ditched it 245k to a college student who drove it at least 3 to 4 more years.
I think there are two camps of BMW owners those who are looking at monthly payments as their total expenditure for the car (gas, insurance, and registration excepted of course) and those who buy them used, sometimes well used, and plan on keeping knowing it will take maintenance and repairs. Sounds like you're in the latter camp. I used to only be able to only afford the high miles ones and most were great. I've special ordered three new ones, done Euro Delivery (best car delivery ever!), and also bought several low mileage used (20k or less), get them on proper maintenance I tend to hold on to the ones I enjoy and flip the ones I don't. I am flying without a net (aka warranty) on two BMWs and a MINI and no issues.

On the 4.8, search the 7 (E62 i think) and 6 series forums. Same and only motor. The two issues I mentioned can hit as early as 40k miles, some never have a problem. Those two items are really the only major problems that come up on the 6 series forum, other than questions about why the 22inch tires are rubbing...

Good luck with your search b

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by FredoinSF; 11-07-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon01 View Post
There are a few pre-LCI 4.8i's over on xbimmers that look pretty attractive compared to the deals you've posted. Some slightly older MY, but some with fewer mileage, and enthusiast owned, which I always prefer.

Good advice in this thread. I second the idea of NOT buying from a dealer. Remember they piad 20% -25% less than asking price, find an owner that want to get out of their loved X5. At 70k+ miles you are not getting a warranty, why use a dealer??? Seriously.

The 300k BMW is a rarer breed. I have 170k on my E39, but it takes $$ to keep them in top shape. Remember, while a used car may cost a frqction of new, repair costs are 100%. (ie a tranny on a 2009 x5 will be the same as a tranny on a 2012....) Having said that I personally dont mind the investment of my DIY labor and a few $ for parts to keep these fine cars running. But again if you are paying these cars can bleed you. Maybe, maybe not.

GL
Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Both are at a vintage where you will either be the victim of deferred maintenance and careless ownership, or you will be the lucky winner of the used BMW lotto. At this price point, cost of entry is almost irrelevant compared to the repairs you might have ahead, so spending lots of time on due diligence (service records, PPI) is a must. If it feels funny, walk away.

The 4.8i ad is annoying as it smacks of the now typical BMW dealer online listings that list the same options more than once. Makes you think you are seeing double. But I don't see Sport Pack on either. Search "adaptive drive" on this board and spend the requisite days reading up. CARFAX? Don't trust it as true. Just a data point.

The 3.0i doesn't seem like a deal at all and was a dealer lot car at the beginning of life (tell-tale minimal options but of course running boards for some bling). Comfort seats are unusual though so maybe there's more to it than listed.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 11-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks all. You confirmed my thoughts. Cheers!