Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
More than you can afford

Mein Auto: Elise<3
So I finally got my OEM headunit out of my E36

...because I've had a brand new Pioneer laying around forever. Now I'm trying to Jimmy-rig a system together. I know I'm not doing things the ideal/right way, but once I got my OEM unit loose I got way too excited and took it out and tried to jump right into throwing crap I had laying around into my car. I definitely thought I knew more than I did going into this, having worked a little with sound systems before, but of course BMW makes nothing easy.

What I'm working with right now:
12" Reactor sub
760 watt Pioneer amp
Pioneer DEH5100UB HU.

Right now this is what I have:

Headunit is connected and working with every wire on the harness connected that can be connected.
Antenna adapter is connected.
Stock amp wire is not connected (obviously because there's nothing to connect it to).
Power wire is hooked from new amp to battery.
Sub is hooked up to the new amp.
New amp is hooked up to the headunit.
All grounds connected.
Gain is up.

My problem is that my sub/new amp are not working...

Amp just isn't hooked up in this picture.

(Everything's thrown together right now I just want to get it to work. Once I get it working everything will be cleaner)

I don't know what I'm missing here. The way I have it set up now is the way I had it set up in my old Honda and it worked, that's why I'm anxious for reasoning. Even though I know BMW and Honda are two totally different worlds. Any ideas? I know I was pretty vague so if anyone responds and has questions feel free.

EDIT: I noticed the "system control" wire on the amp now too that is not connected to anything (next to the ground wire in the pic), I have a feeling that this could be my money wire but I don't know what to connect it to. I've connected it to the white/blue system control and the solid blue power antenna and I get nothing. I also tried connecting all 3 and get the same result as if the system control wire wasn't connected (meaning still no response from amp/sub). Right now I only get sound from the stock speakers when the white/blue is connected to the solid blue.

'98 328i/'09 Tahoe LTZ
@los_tho

Last edited by Los; 04-15-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525I
The Blue/White (remote turn-on) wire from your Pioneer head unit needs to be connected to the "Remote Turn-on" terminal on your Pioneer amplifier. Also, make sure the fuses on the amplifier are good and the one on your power wire from the battery to the amplifier.