Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 Jag XF || '05 CLK55
Do I have a comfort access/electrical problem?

Just got car (07 E65 CPO) a week ago and still figuring things out.

When I park my car for extended time, e.g. overnight in garage I notice the next day that I cannot just walk up to car and open it. I have to unlock it with remote key.

If I haven't locked it I notice that upon opening the door that no lights come on in the interior and whatever CD I had been playing last will not resume at the track I left off at. It will start at beginning of disc. Minor annoyance.

I also usually notice that right after parking car the start/stop button stays lit with it's orange glow as well as the power seat button that indicates the seat bottom icon staying lit. I've had occasion also where it looks like the NAV screen stays on longer than it probably should.

Normal or do I have some gremlins to worry about? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
your car has a very low powered battery and thus the car is cutting power (comfort access and CD changer) to protect itself. You have something either draining the battery or it's on it's last leg and needs replacement.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 06 750Li Titanium Silver
Yea, it's a battery drain symptom. Don't worry too much, just figure out what it is. My car was doing similar things and the dealer found that my cell phone which I left in the car was keeping the TCU module awake thus draining the battery.

These cars seem very sensitive to battery drains as if I leave the radio playing for 10 mins, I get warning about a battery drain. Also, whenever I get my car detailed, for a few days after I pick it up, the comfort access doesn't work until I drive the car a bit and recharge the battery. I assume it's because the leave the car radio or accessory mode on for an hour or so.

So.....are you leaving the radio on without the car running? Are you leaving a non BMW approved cell phone on in the car? If yes to either of these, take the car on a 25 min drive and recharge the battery and remove your phone from car when exiting. If no to these, then a trip to the dealer to have them run their diagnostics to find the battery drain.

Good luck, it's a issue which can be eliminated.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 AM

I don't run the radio much at all with car off and no phone or charger of any kind has been plugged in.
Car has been driven daily for last week however when it was for sale it sat in cold climate for 3 months without being run I'd say.

Are batteries covered under original 4 yr warranty?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Try not leaving radio on at all with car off and take it for a spirited run. Then see if you still have the deep hibernation problems, I dont think you will. I doubt if the battery is bad, just needs a good romp to recharge it.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Oh, and the phone doesnt not need to be plugged in to drain the battery. Mine was just sitting in the console and was draining my battery.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
your car has a very low powered battery and thus the car is cutting power (comfort access and CD changer) to protect itself. You have something either draining the battery or it's on it's last leg and needs replacement.
love the Avatar

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
love the Avatar
finally noticed after nearly a week!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 PM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Mein Auto: 05 BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco240 View Post
Oh, and the phone doesnt not need to be plugged in to drain the battery. Mine was just sitting in the console and was draining my battery.
What ??? You're saying just leave the phone in the car regardless where unplugged and it still drains the battery ?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_clealy View Post
What ??? You're saying just leave the phone in the car regardless where unplugged and it still drains the battery ?
Yes, just my LG phone just sitting in the car was draining my battery overnight. Kept having issues with CA not working and took it to BMW for a diagnosis. I left my phone in the car and they called back 3 days later after testing and said the phone was keeping the TCU module awake all night forcing the 7 to go into deep hibernation to protect battery for starting. They removed the phone overnight and next morning, all was functioning as normal.

Needless to say I turn off the phone when I park the car or take the phone with me and have not had a problem, 7 goes into a nice comfy sleep.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:26 PM

I always remove my phone and radio is usually off before i park. I press the small black radio volume knob to turn it off.

was it b/c the car was connecting to the phone via bluetooth that it drained battery?

At what distance is the comf access not able to recognize key?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM

How long should the start/stop button stay lit after exiting the car?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 AM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Mein Auto: 05 BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco240 View Post
Yes, just my LG phone just sitting in the car was draining my battery overnight. Kept having issues with CA not working and took it to BMW for a diagnosis. I left my phone in the car and they called back 3 days later after testing and said the phone was keeping the TCU module awake all night forcing the 7 to go into deep hibernation to protect battery for starting. They removed the phone overnight and next morning, all was functioning as normal.

Needless to say I turn off the phone when I park the car or take the phone with me and have not had a problem, 7 goes into a nice comfy sleep.
It does sound stupid, but I guess it worked right ? That's all it counts. So now Good Night 7...Sleep tight...Heheheh Don't drain my battery again.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 AM

Mein Auto: E46 325i
It should take about 5 min for the start/stop button to go off. And if you have CA (steal layered door handles), you should be able to only touch them and see the seat adjusting buttons light up on your centre consoles (meaning you have woken the K-CAN-P bus) and they should stay on for about a minute. Any more than this and you have a rest current issue. I have come accross alot of E65/66 vehicles with the going to sleep issue. They just stay awake and the power module cuts all off. So the next day your CD changer goes nuts scanning all magazine, the clock is gone, etc, etc.