Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 M coupe, 2007 M6
Z4MC Custom Front Splitter

Well I saved $4k making a custom aluminum splitter instead of getting the Varis carbon fiber splitter and undertray again, since it was damaged in an off track mud wrestling experience.

This one fits perfect. I did not make it myselt. My Plant manager and mechanic did the work. They did a great job. I cannot wait to get it on track to see how well it works. The also made the lower dive planes to the same specs as the carbon fiber ones. Again big savings.

Oh btw, they did this in less than a week. It took 6 months to get this from Varis in Japan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064.jpg
Views:	1859
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	226851

Name:	DSC_0066.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	226852

I will add more pics later. We used the E92 M3 GTR and Z4MC GTR for reference points.
2007 Alpine White Z4 M Coupe with RPI Scoop, BMC filter, ESS s/w, Ground Control Coil Over, Supersprint Sec 1, x-pipe and muffler, Rotora Calipers, APR performance GTC 200 adjustible rear wing, APR performance front dive planes, Varis front spoiler and front diffuser, Roll Bar, Cobra seats, Schroth 6 point harness, black painted roof and mirrors.
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2010, 05:15 AM
///Mtourage

Mein Auto: MPOWER
Bad a$$! Any chance you might make a couple more of these?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Old 04-20-2010, 01:59 PM
///M

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe
More pictures would be nice.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website in the History of the Internet!
Old 04-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
More pictures would be nice.
Here ya go:

Name:	DSC_0065.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	226932

Name:	DSC_0068.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	226933
2007 Alpine White Z4 M Coupe with RPI Scoop, BMC filter, ESS s/w, Ground Control Coil Over, Supersprint Sec 1, x-pipe and muffler, Rotora Calipers, APR performance GTC 200 adjustible rear wing, APR performance front dive planes, Varis front spoiler and front diffuser, Roll Bar, Cobra seats, Schroth 6 point harness, black painted roof and mirrors.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: Z4m roadster, E90 320d
really nice job...
Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basar13 View Post
really nice job...
Thanks. Whoa I just noticed you are running, 500 bhp and more impressive to me 2645 lbs!

I will check your threads, but what did you do to get to 2645 lbs?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: Z4m roadster, E90 320d
it will be 2645 when i change the doors with carbon ones & remove the soft top. i will open a new thread this summer other then that single sparco seat, light wheels, light battery, striped interior, no A/c, no radio it is a track car although i still use it on the road.. i am obsessed with weight reduction my favorite modification i changed mirrors with carbon f1 types and i will change the mirror inside the car for more weight reduction also lower cg
Old 04-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Potential Lunch Winner

Send a message via AIM to Blind32 Send a message via Yahoo to Blind32
Mein Auto: Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
Bad a$$! Any chance you might make a couple more of these?
+1 Any word on if they will/can make more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basar13 View Post
it will be 2645 when i change the doors with carbon ones & remove the soft top. i will open a new thread this summer other then that single sparco seat, light wheels, light battery, striped interior, no A/c, no radio it is a track car although i still use it on the road.. i am obsessed with weight reduction my favorite modification i changed mirrors with carbon f1 types and i will change the mirror inside the car for more weight reduction also lower cg
It is amazing what you can do with weight reduction albeit can be expensive. Hope your really skinny or on a diet as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Blind32;5140614]+1 Any word on if they will/can make more?

i asked them to make a copy so we can do more, but they only did a one off. However, I am going to work with someone to make a mold so we can make it in carbon fiber, fiberglass etc.

That may be a month or more but that way we can make a lighter repeatable version!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Looks good Brad

Two questions:
1) What's it weigh in the current form?
2) Are the mounting plates secured to the bumper so the splitter/bumper can be taken on and off without being a PITA?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Looks good Brad

Two questions:
1) What's it weigh in the current form?
2) Are the mounting plates secured to the bumper so the splitter/bumper can be taken on and off without being a PITA?
thanks for the thumbs up Earl.

1. the weight is -2 lbs using the latest anti gravity materials! Ok i did not weight it yet.
2. No PITA simply bolted in just unscrew and remove really easy using BMW stock holes for undertray and holes for outer covers. I am not sure if the outer holes are from the outer covers screwing into the bumper or if they are from the Varis mounting.

I need to take it off to put some clear wrap on so I will weight it then. For I just want down force and do not care about the weight. It felt really light for sure it is less then the Varis piece since that covered the entire lower portion of the front bumper plus had the additional middle section, but never weighed that so do not know for sure.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM
///Mtourage

Mein Auto: MPOWER
[QUOTE=deknight;5140747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
+1 Any word on if they will/can make more?

i asked them to make a copy so we can do more, but they only did a one off. However, I am going to work with someone to make a mold so we can make it in carbon fiber, fiberglass etc.

That may be a month or more but that way we can make a lighter repeatable version!
drooooooool! Please keep us up to date in regards to this!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR