BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Any Carsoft expert here? Codes 16, 24

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  cn90 
#1 ·
Any Carsoft expert here?

I have the airbag light "on" all the time. So I used Carsoft version 6.5 and this is what I have:

PN: 8372521

24: Passenger Airbag

16: Driver Airbag

Does anyone know how to interpret these codes?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The airbags are nonfunctional. They may not deploy in a collision.

Did this error just come about? Or have you just bought the car and found the light on?

#3 ·
I bought the car in May 2006.
The Airbag light just came on 2-3 weeks ago.
I just pulled those codes from Carsoft.

BTW, I just reset the Airbag light and see what happens.
I find it too much co-incidence to have both driver + pass airbag issues at the same time.

Perhaps a connector(s) is loose.
Will check tomorrow.

#7 · (Edited)
Update for those with the same problem.

Thanks to "bimmertek" for pointing me to the right direction....

The "16" and "24" SRS codes were mentioned in SI-720496 document (see attached pdf).

Last year, I thought it was the side airbag sensor (this sensor sits under the pass seat, under the carpet), which I replaced with no effect on the error codes.

The bottom line is: it is defective driver's side buckle. However, the BMW buckle has an explosive charge built into it and is therefore called "pretensioner" in BMW terminology. This pretensioner, in the event of a crash, fires the explosive charge to take up any slack in the seat belt. This feature is unique in modern BMW, my other cars (1998 Volvo V70 and Honda Odyssey van) do not have this feature. This feature reduces your torso from going forward in a crash. I am not sure if it is proven to help reduce injury, but in a crash every little bit of technology (may or may not) help.

Options:

1. Now, all I have is a small electrical tape covering the dash SRS light LOL.

2. For the near future, I will get a new pretensioner from BMW dealer. FYI, this has explosive charge in it so you cannot buy it online. You have to buy it from local BMW dealer.
Search realoem.com for proper PN (enter your VIN).
For my 1998 528i (build date 09/1997), the PN for driver side is 72118240045, about $130 at dealer

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.