Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
How is a 2010 BMW M3 vs. 2011 Ford Mustang GT a Tied Game?

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

It seems almost inconceivable to compare the two cars, but as this article from Autoblog points out, the performance numbers seem to be forcing the discussion.

Alright, fan boys (and girls), prepare for battle. The ever keen-eyed Sam Smith over at Jalopnik has spied an interesting phenomenon in the car universe. The new 2011 Ford Mustang GT performance figures are within spitting distance of the mighty 2010 BMW M3. The Bavarian bruiser produces 414 horsepower out of its milky-smooth 4.0-liter V8 and hits the scales at 3,652 lbs. Meanwhile, the 5.0-liter Mustang serves up two less horsepower, but weighs 40 pounds less, too.

At this point, odds are your blood is pumping no matter which side of the ring you happen to find yourself on. Stats that close yield frighteningly similar numbers when the two cars hit the track, too. The M3 can clip off the 0-60 dash in 4.3 seconds. The Mustang can do it in 4.4. Quarter mile? Deadlocked at 12.7 seconds at 111.3 mph.

It's true, a quarter mile doth not a sports car make, which is why these next figures are so important. While the M3 can come down from 60 mph in 105 feet, the Mustang can do the same in 104. And here's the real shocker: Both cars hold onto the skidpad at .97 g. Now, before the comments go superfly TNT, it's worth noting that the as-tested BMW will set you back an eye-widening $28,180 more than the Ford. We could think of a thing or two to do with an extra 30-large.

So the question remains, which would you take home?

Source - http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/16/2...rce=feedburner
This article has been viewed 16269 times.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 STI
the bmw name costs a lot.

for me i would never consider buying an american car because i don't think they are reliable.

also, the m3 offers more refinements inside the cabin.

that being said, the price of the ford is amazing. $30k for such performances is a very sweet deal for those that can afford it and are ok with buying american.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: B25
M3 hands down.
At the end of the day its still a ford.
10 years later its still a ford with problems.
But I have to admit, I am impressed that the Ford Mustang GT is as good as the M3, performance wise...
Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
M3 hands down.
At the end of the day its still a ford.
10 years later its still a ford with problems.
But I have to admit, I am impressed that the Ford Mustang GT is as good as the M3, performance wise...
+1

They forgot to mention the gas mileage on the new Mustangs is quite good.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: M3-Imola Red Interior
Damn! That is definately something to compare.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: Ordered BMW 335d & X5
Isn't it the same ol' American muscle car vs the european supercars ie: the Corvette against the Ferraris, Porsches, etc? Whatever the automotive press numbers are, I'd still take the M3. I'm not biased against Ford as I have owned 9 over the years and currently own 2. Go sit in the Ford and feel the materials...it's nothing really...just more Ford parts hardly distinguishable from any other. OTOH, some of these American muscle cars are limited in release and can become collectibles. Some are stirred by the growl and torque of the muscle car and others by the screaming wale of the BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
'Fest Advisor

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Coupe
There is more to a car than simple specs. If someone simply wants a fast car, you can do that pretty easily for not much $$ (cheap old car + mods). Perfect example:

http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-50...yline=true&s=i
Old 04-29-2010, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E93
Don't sell the American muscle short. Good value there now. Having said that, Fords and performance have not always mixed well.

Don't Tase me bro.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenmass View Post
Don't sell the American muscle short. Good value there now. Having said that, Fords and performance have not always mixed well.
There is actually truth to your statement. I personally am a big fan of the SRT division. I can't wait till the next gen of SRTs. But the Mustang just appeals to a certain crowd that rarely desires an M3...and vice versa. I really don't think the comparison between a Mustang and a M3 is appropriate.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E93
For M3 money you can get a Foose or a Saleen and have a pretty unique car.

Don't Tase me bro.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: '04 645Ci
American cars get a bad rep for their reliability but that's no longer valid. In fact, I'd argue the American cars are as reliable, if not more, than BMWs. Mind you, I have two BMWs. I would still buy the M3 before I bought the Mustang but it has more to do with interior materials, style, clout, perception. Also, there are so many fargin' Mustangs on the road that you have to pay big $$$ to be distinctive or risk anonymity.
'04 645Ci, Saphirschwarz Pearl/Black, auto, sport, cold-weather, 19" chromes, Logic 7, 7k white angels, MP3 retro, iPod retro, black grills/gills, Bluetooth retro, upgraded microphones, piano black interior trim
'12 Nissan LEAF, Cayenne Red
'10 Victory Cross Country, Black, too much to list
'01 Honda Magna, Black, too much to list
Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 AM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagular View Post
American cars get a bad rep for their reliability but that's no longer valid. In fact, I'd argue the American cars are as reliable, if not more, than BMWs. Mind you, I have two BMWs. I would still buy the M3 before I bought the Mustang but it has more to do with interior materials, style, clout, perception. Also, there are so many fargin' Mustangs on the road that you have to pay big $$$ to be distinctive or risk anonymity.
I have personally experienced the above statement as true.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Motortrend has the new 2011 5.0 Mustang doing 0-60 in 4.3 seconds with sticky tires, premium gas, and 1 foot of roll out. (for 28k less)

The 2011 Shelby GT is now 550hp, has an all aluminum block and can be extecpted to hit 0-60 in about 4.0 flat (for over 10k less)

So what does that extra 28k buy you for an M3? A less bumpy ride (thanks to an IRS), and a 7 second faster mph in the cones (73mph versus mustangs 67mph) (also thanks to that IRS).

Not much for $28k.

There must be more right?

Well you get the BMW name plate and.....

Um.....

Higher maintanence costs? No thats not a benifit.

A better GPS/Nav? No Fords Touch screen Nav and microsoft Sync vehicle conrol center are just about the best in the buisness..so thats not it.

A better sound system? Umm...no the Shaker 500 is fine and the Shaker 1000 would rattle a BMWs stereo.

Better Leather? Not sure...the Premium accent package gives you a premium racing styled (similiar to GT500 w different pattern) leather heated seats.

More comforts? Umm, no...The mustangs comfort package includes dual heated seats, dual power seats, dual climate control and auto dimming mirrors.

More torque down low?..umm..nope thats not it either.

Better handling? Debateable...the new 11 GT has increased dampeners and the EPS steering is said to be as good as EPS gets on any car. It pulls almost the same lateral G's. Better tires?...than the Pirelli Z assymetrical and unidrectional summer tires? I doubt it. Better brakes? Than the dual vented double piston Brembos......um no thats not it. Better engine sound? ...that one is laughable. Better shifting?....than the Shelby Gt 500 carbon fiber clutch plate (now standard on all GTs linked to a short shifting 6 speed manual *snick snick*l....darn..thats not either.

Better head lights? Umm, no you can get the same HIDs on the mustang. Better security system? No....you can get active anti-theft w locking wheels and 911 assist on the Ford. A rear view back up camera? Nope..mustang has that also..with a bigger screen to boot.

Real time traffic, weather, movies, sporting events, and local gas prices right on your nav...uggh. No thats MUSTANG also. Text to speech via a smart phone?....darn thats mustang also.

The option of an all glass roof or convertible.....grrr....Mustang!

Oh i know...cool sequential tail lights and your choice of over 156 interior colors....DOH...not that either...still mustang.

Hmmm.... A more customizible car..DEFINATLY NOT. A car thats easier to mod? Dont make me laugh.

Leather trimmed door panels and soft touch dash's..actually they BOTH have that. Real metal dash accents and trims...umm thats actually the mustang to.

Class winning gas mileadge? Gasp...Mustang again.

Oh..i know..that extra 28k gets you a telescoping steering wheel...NICE!

Last edited by Allentown; 05-05-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: Ordered BMW 335d & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
Motortrend has the new 2011 5.0 Mustang doing 0-60 in 4.3 seconds with sticky tires, premium gas, and 1 foot of roll out. (for 28k less)

The 2011 Shelby GT is now 550hp, has an all aluminum block and can be extecpted to hit 0-60 in about 4.0 flat (for over 10k less)

So what does that extra 28k buy you for an M3? A less bumpy ride (thanks to an IRS), and a 7 second faster mph in the cones (73mph versus mustangs 67mph) (also thanks to that IRS).

Not much for $28k.

There must be more right?

Well you get the BMW name plate and.....

Um.....

Higher maintanence costs? No thats not a benifit.

A better GPS/Nav? No Fords Touch screen Nav and microsoft Sync vehicle conrol center are just about the best in the buisness..so thats not it.

A better sound system? Umm...no the Shaker 500 is fine and the Shaker 1000 would rattle a BMWs stereo.

Better Lether? Not sure...the Premium accent package gives you a racing stripped premium leather heated seat.

More comforts? Umm, no...The mustangs comfort package includes dual heated seats, dual power seats, dual climate control and auto dimming mirrors.

More torque down low?..umm..nope thats not it either.

Better handling? Debateable...the new 11 GT has increased dampeners and the EPS steering is said to be as good as EPS gets on any car. It pulls almost the same lateral G's. Better tires?...than the Pirelli Z assymetrical and unidrectional summer tires? I doubt it. Better brakes? Than the dual vented double piston Brembos......um no thats not it. Better engine sound? ...that one is laughable. Better shifting?....than the Shebly Gt 500 carbon fiber clutch plate (now standard on all GTs linked to a short shifting 6 speed manual *snick snick*l....darn..thats not either.

Better head lights? Umm, no you can get the same HIDs on the mustang. Better security system? No....you can get active anti-theft w locking wheels and 911 assist on the Ford. A rear view back up camera? Nope..mustang has that also..with a bigger screen to boot.

Real time traffic, weather, movies, sporting events, and local gas prices right on your nav...uggh. No thats MUSTANG also. Text to speech via a smart phone?....darn thats mustang also.

The option of an all glass roof or convertible.....grrr....Mustang!

Oh i know...cool sequential tail lights and your choice of over 156 interior colors....DOH...not that either...still mustang.

Hmmm.... A more customizible car..DEFINATLY NOT. A car thats easier to mod? Dont make me laugh.

Leather trimmed door panels and soft touch dash's..actually they BOTH have that. Real metal dash accents and trims...umm thats actually the mustang to.

Oh..i know..that extra 28k gets you a telescoping steering wheel...NICE!
Allentown...hat's off to you for a very persuasive argument. By the time I was done reading your post, I was inclined to get my shoes on and run to the Ford dealer. I do agree with some other posters that these vehicles don't stack up against the same market segment...each has it's own following and allure. I still think it's a classic comparison...American muscle vs European sports cars. Now, if I was shopping for a Mustang, I'd probably be comparing it the Camaro, Charger, Corvette, Viper (if I had the $), etc. If I already owned the Mustang, I'd nominate you for speaker. Thanks for the enlightening post!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:08 PM

No thank you sir!

Here are a couple images for illustration

:P

The one on the right is my10 GT. It has all the features i listed above (which is why i was able to post all that) Mine has a cashmiere stripe rather than the blue on the seats.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m5lp_0912_07_+2010_mustang_gt+interior_leather_seats.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	228958   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior_wide.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	228959  
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Ok for comparison here is an Interior shot of the M3

Where do i begin?

The in dash Nav is TINY..laughable..and it is controlled with the joy stick style jog located in the console..those are HORRIBLE to use.

The mustang has fully functional touch screen. Climate controls via touch screen? Check. Phone controls via touch screen? Check Sirus travel link via touch screen? Check Navigation via touch screen? Check. Radio controls via touch screen? check Sirus controls via touch screen? check. 10 Gig Juke box controls via touch screen? check Fully functional DVD movies avail in high def sound via touch screen???????? check

Speech to control your temperature? check. Speech to enter address? Check. Speech to radio setting? Check. Speech to ipod play list? Check Speech to phone book? Check. Speech to juke box control? Check Speech anyone of about 20 other features? check check check...

Does the M3s do all that?

The stripes in the seats are the same...the two toned console is just..ugly (this particular model in the picture)

Is that an ASH TRAY ABOVE THE shifter..i hope its a storage compartment.

Is that a CD changer?

Well you dont need that with the mustang..it has a built in 10 Gig Juke box that you can just rip about 2,400 songs to.

Where is the drivers console?..looks like you would have to slide your seat backwards to get at the contents???

I do like the Steering wheel on the BMw though.

...all in all

The mustangs Interior is far better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3322808.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	228960  

Last edited by Allentown; 05-05-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
...all in all

The mustangs Interior is far better.
Of course this is subjective but... no.
'04 645Ci, Saphirschwarz Pearl/Black, auto, sport, cold-weather, 19" chromes, Logic 7, 7k white angels, MP3 retro, iPod retro, black grills/gills, Bluetooth retro, upgraded microphones, piano black interior trim
Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Of course this is subjective but... no.

Understood but looking at the pic i found..it looks REALLY cheap.

Do you have any other pictures of the M3s interior that paint a better image? I looked around and all the ones i found of the m3s were just God awful looking...the one i posted was actually the BEST..if you can beleive that.

You have to at least concede that the technology on the mustang is light years ahead....

Edit: I like this one a little better but that tiny screen and that huge dash bulge with the console mounted joy stick controller HAVE TO GO....Period.

yuck

Last edited by Allentown; 05-05-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Understood but looking at the pic i found..it looks REALLY cheap.

Do you have any other pictures of the M3s interior that paint a better image? I looked around and all the ones i found of the m3s were just God awful looking...the one i posted was actually the BEST..if you can beleive that.

You have to at least concede that the technology on the mustang is light years ahead....
Well, you make the point that the Mustang's technology is better. Light years? They're comparable, which is amazing given the price difference. So, if it's based on value, sure. I haven't played with Sync so I have no reference. I have sampled the new iDrive interface (I took my 6 in for service and I had a 335i for a day) and it is much, much better than the old version.

BTW, I'm not knocking the Mustang other than its ubiquity. The 2011 is an amazing car and a great value. The M3? It will probably hold its value better through the warranty period. Out of warranty? Probably not.

Also, I own quite a bit of Ford stock so I want to encourage everyone to buy one.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Well, you make the point that the Mustang's technology is better. Light years? They're comparable, which is amazing given the price difference. So, if it's based on value, sure. I haven't played with Sync so I have no reference. I have sampled the new iDrive interface (I took my 6 in for service and I had a 335i for a day) and it is much, much better than the old version.

BTW, I'm not knocking the Mustang other than its ubiquity. The 2011 is an amazing car and a great value. The M3? It will probably hold its value better through the warranty period. Out of warranty? Probably not.

Also, I own quite a bit of Ford stock so I want to encourage everyone to buy one.
Well, you dont really get the FULL use of Synch unless you spring for the $2,200 technology package (which i did). The video is closest to how it works in the mustang (same system but a tad different buttons on each Ford vehicle)

Here is the link to some of the BASE Ford synchs demos.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/technology/sync/

Regarding value, i had a base 10 GT Mustang GT, drove it 11,500 miles in 6 months....traded it for my current model... Amount upside over what i owed? Less than $1,000.

Try THAT with an M3!!!

So i respectfully disagree with you about it beating a mustang during its warranty period..lol But i bought the 100,000 mile warranty for an extra $2k, just to be safe (wink)

Last edited by Allentown; 05-05-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: Supercharged E39 540i
If any one knows some one who wants to trade a 2011 5.0 mustang for my bimmer let me know, ill do it with my eyes closed.

Goddamn big thumbs up to ford, bieng an ex mustang owner, they make me proud.

My god, i think i want a mustang now..... :O
Old 05-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500

Boy, performance comparisons aside, the BMW is a much better looking car to my eyes.
-Getz
Old 05-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Very sharp..in a James Bond kinda way..

But take a look at this promo and tell me which car makes you want to go slinging around a corner with the tires smoking and the engine burbling with sweaty palms, a foot on the floor, braced up against the center console with your knee and grinning from ear to ear..

Def the stang...

Last edited by Allentown; 05-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
'Fest Advisor

I still think this comparison is irrelevant. The stang should be compared to the camaro and challenger.

In this thread, we're talking about cars that appeal to two completely separate groups of people. They have different "souls". It's like red wine and white wine. Both wines, both have alcohol, but are completely different.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
I would be in the camp that picks the M3 over the Mustang every single time. I am a sucker for the European candy.
-Getz