Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 35i
Auto folding side mirrors

Have them, but do idea why BMW would to to the expense of adding this feature.
My friend says it's because Europe streets are so tight.
Find that difficult to beleive,but I don't have any other ideas of why.
I can't even come up with 1.
Can't be for a car wash?

Someone here knows.

Also thanks fr the person here that give the tip of how to keep the passenger mirror from tilting down when in reverse. That worked well.
Even my CTS had this feature, and I didn't like it.
Ads by Google
Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2007 530xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleerob View Post
Can't be for a car wash?

Someone here knows.

Also thanks fr the person here that give the tip of how to keep the passenger mirror from tilting down when in reverse. That worked well.
Your friend has the winning answer. By and large European streets are much narrower than what we are accustomed to. Hence the folding mirrors.

This is considered a 2 lane country road in Ireland... I call it a driveway.

EDIT: Just for clarity, behind the innocent looking hedges on either side of the road is a rock wall. I would want my mirrors folded in too thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	road_example_small.jpg
Views:	1342
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	227300  
2007 530xiT -- Titanium Silver / Black Dakota / Nav / PP / Step / Sirius / HD / CWP / CA /Rear shades / 2 Diono Monterey Booster Seats in Pink :>) / Hüper Optik tint -- Ordered 08/19/06 -- Delivered 10/17/06 -- 59 days order to delivery.

"Money is a strange business. People who haven't got it aim at it strongly. People who have it are full of troubles." -- Ayrton Senna

BMW CCA Member

Last edited by Billd104; 04-23-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 35i
Glad I'm not driving on streets so tight, I have to fold in the mirrors.
Would however like to hit the Autobaughn (sp mistake)
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleerob View Post
Can't be for a car wash?

Someone here knows.

Some drivers fold the mirrors because they park next to a pole or column in a parking structure or like me when I park in my 2 car garage I want it as far to the right as possible so I don't hit my Mercedes with the BMW door when I get out. Or when in parking lots so people walking between the cars don't bump into them.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
I think electric folding mirrors are great for roadside parking even in the states. You'd be surprised at how often bicyclists or bad drivers will break a side mirror.

America has some of the world's widest streets, but the world doesn't revolve around the US and similarly, car design shouldnt revolve around the US (although it often does)
Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
Some drivers fold the mirrors because they park next to a pole or column in a parking structure or like me when I park in my 2 car garage I want it as far to the right as possible so I don't hit my Mercedes with the BMW door when I get out
+1. I park 4 cars in my 4-car garage. Two of them (535 and allroad) have folding mirrors, a big advantage in a tight space.

Spyder
Old 04-23-2010, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 528i xDrive
Depending on width of the parking spot between cars, sometimes I have them folded after parking. Just so people won't knock into them when walking to their car(s) beside mine. So one time I had 3 colleagues with me. The one who was going to sit in the front seat saw the side mirrors folded. Before he opened the passenger door, he decided to pull out the side mirror by force. As soon as he sat down I asked him what the hell did you do that for? He said, "What? Don't you want the mirror out?". I said "yes, but it's electronically controlled and I purposely folded them in so people wouldn't walk into them". He said, "oh, sorry, I don't own a bimmer. Didn't know it has this feature". The worst part was he pulled it so hard that it was beyond its normal position. When I pushed the button, it wouldn't come all the way back. Man, I almost had a heart attack. Luckily, all it needed was a little manual push back to its normal position. Everything was OK. Meanwhile, the 2 guys in the back seat were laughing their heads off. One said to me later, "you should have told him that he broke it and it's going to cost $1000 to fix it!"

My Blog

Last edited by bkwon; 04-23-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:28 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I fold the mirrors in my garage at home, it is a tight garage and I don't want to bang my hip into the mirrors.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M sport
I have a 3 car tandem garage with two single doors. The electronic folding mirrors are great. It is easier to pull my 535 in the garage than it was my Toyota Corolla.

Our Sequoia is extremely tight. We manually fold in the driver's mirror. As soon as we did that the first time, I understood the electric folding mirror option.

I also used it when parking in a parking garage in Europe. The spaces were extremely small and I parked next to a pole to give myself more room.

2010 535i
Titanium Silver / M Sport / Premium / Cold Weather / Black Nasca Leather / Sports Auto with paddle shifters / Ventilated seats / NAV / HUD / Comfort Access / Fold down rear seats / Heated rear seats / Rear side-impact airbags / Hi-Fi Audio / Park distance control / Ipod / HD Radio

Mods: M rear deck spoiler / M5 mirrors / RPi scoop / clear mask

ED delivery: 5/4/09 // Nurburgring: 5/18/09 // ED dropoff: 5/20/09 // PCD: 7/30/09
Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 528i xDrive
I also found out with side mirrors folded in, if you forget to push the button and start to drive, the mirrors automatically go back to their normal position as you drive away. Very cool.

Actually I learned that from my daugther.

My Blog
Old 04-24-2010, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi M-sport
Quote:
Some drivers fold the mirrors because they park next to a pole or column in a parking structure or like me when I park in my 2 car garage I want it as far to the right as possible so I don't hit my Mercedes with the BMW door when I get out. Or when in parking lots so people walking between the cars don't bump into them.

dj
Yes, I have the same problem - am forever scratching up my RR Ghost.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzeller View Post
Yes, I have the same problem - am forever scratching up my RR Ghost.

Would it have been better if I had said my 36 year old Mercedes.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 04-25-2010, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi M-sport
Quote:
Would it have been better if I had said my 36 year old Mercedes.

dj
Old 06-01-2010, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: Boo Chevy.. not for long!
is there a way to add folding mirrors to a bmw that didn't have them installed?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
When I was driving a Mercedes rental car in Provence, I remember having to fold in the mirrors while driving because the twisting mountainside road(full of blind turns) was so narrow. Can't believe how fast the other cars were driving on that road.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
When I lived in England, they referred to American streets as "Alarmingly wide."

English country roads... most I remember were about 1.5 cars wide, always had to switch into reverse if you met another car to get back to a driveway or something. I remember driving in a school minibus where the driver just honked when he went flying around any blind curve, seemed a dubious strategy at 40mph.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hull22 View Post
When I was driving a Mercedes rental car in Provence, I remember having to fold in the mirrors while driving because the twisting mountainside road(full of blind turns) was so narrow. Can't believe how fast the other cars were driving on that road.
As long as you stay at about 20-25mph the mirrors on the BMW will stay folded - anything higher, no.