Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530
Entire sensor. It was -11C yesterday and I still had the miss. Unfortunatley, replacing the sensor did not solve the cold rough idle problem.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
'99 528i rough idle

Found the trouble, a bad coil.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 AM

Good to hear. In my case, I replaced all the coils along with a long list of things of other things, but still have the rough idle when cold.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 AM

Put my old temp sensor back in since it had been acting up with the new sensor.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i 2003
Rough Idle in the Morning 2003 530i

For the last couple of months I have been getting a rough idle in the morning or when the car cools down typically 4 to 5 hours. When it is hot it runs good!

I went out and started up this morning after clearing the codes and it idled rough and within a minute or two check engine light came on. I turned it off and scanned it and I got a P1347 misfiring 3 cylinder. Is it possible I have a blown head gasket and during the night it leaks coolant into the 3 cylinder hence the rough idling?

Last edited by Softhands; 03-13-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Is there white smoke coming out the tailpipe?
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i 2003
no white smoke at this time. I also have replaced the spark plug and wire.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
morrisroad - Any updates on fixing the issue on your car. I'm having cold rough idle also, did a smoke test no leaks and cleaned throttle body but still have rough idle on cold start.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Car is gone now - no further updates forthcoming.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: e39 525i M pack
Hi to all,
My car, an e39 525i M54 from 2002 had all the symptoms described here at cold start, rough idle, often engine was stalling, loss of power at normal temperature.
As a lot users from here, I have tested from a friend selling used parts almost all:
Fuel injection and pump, cranks shaft sensor, idle speed control valve.
I have also bought the following new OEM parts:
DISA, CCV with all pipes, O-rings, both camshaft sensors , fuel filter, fuel vacum pump from the left side of the fuel tank(or how is called), valve cover gasket, all oil gaskets that were leaking.
I have checked intake boots/
When I have done the Beyssan seals diy for the vanos pistons I have noticed that the distribution seemed to be delayed as cause of timing chains degradation/usage. The chain after some km starts to loosen, to have grater and grater play between joints and so it becomes longer than initial, and as a cause of this the variation angle/ the advance for the exhaust and intake came shaft is modified and so the vanos timing is not any more working as it should be.
The cold start rough idle did not disappear after vanos rebuild.
The car had about 280000km.

I have bought and replaced the both timing chains and the car is now back as it was a long time ago.
After erasing all adaptations the car started to run perfect, like the engine was all rebuild.
It runs fine at cold start up and without any stalling, the power has increased, the consumption has decreased about 2l per 100km. The engine acceleration is more sensitive and prompter, the engine intake filter and final exhaust sounds more sportive. The couple has also increased.
I mention I have not replaced any of the chain tensioners or followers, I have replaced only the two timing chains.
I hope this post will help some one. At least not to buy anymore a lot of parts which are not necessary to change.