Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5
is there a DIY for muffler rattle

About a year ago my 05 started making the infamous flapper valve rattle. It was still under warranty so I had it fixed under the warranty - they didn't replace the muffler, it was some kind of vacuum leak.

Anyway, one year later almost to the date (and out of warranty), the car is starting to make the same rattle again. I know there are a ton of posts on this, put I can't find one that is specific on the repair.

Does anybody know if it is usually a leak where the hose plugs into muffler? Is there any way to check for a vacuum leak (without burning myself)? Do I need to replace the hose?

thanks for any help
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Look under the rear bumper. On the inside exhaust pipe, you should be able to find the nib the hose attaches to. It is on the top / between the pipes and points toward the floor of the vehicle. Feel around - you will find it.

It is likely the metal nib will have a piece of the hose on it you will need to trim off before reattaching.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 5
thanks I did see where the hose attached to the nib. Are you saying all I have to do is cut a small length of the hose and reconnect to the nib?

Is it worth putting a metal clamp around it?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
thanks I did see where the hose attached to the nib. Are you saying all I have to do is cut a small length of the hose and reconnect to the nib?

Is it worth putting a metal clamp around it?
If you have the extra hose to spare, yes, just trim the edge smooth and re-attach by slipping/pushing completely over the nib. A clamp probably isn't going to do much good if the hose is cracking/breaking off at the nib (this is what happened to mine). If it is slipping off of the nib without breaking - a small clamp might be of benefit... or trimming a 1/2 inch or so off may be enough to resolve (if the end has stretched over time and not fitting tightly).

Ultimately, a new hose will probably be needed if/when it gets too short to re-attach.... and I have no idea where to find the other end or how far it runs. That - or some kind of coupling connector to add a section of hose to the end (think about drip systems in landscaping).

You can simply plug the hose with a golf tee or similar - but you will have the annoying rattle from the flap - as you are aware. Some people do this to get a bit more rumble/sound from the exhaust at low speeds.

T
Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3 3.0, 2002 325i
Thanks for the advice. The hose on my X3 was split halfway through causing the metallic rattle on startup and resonance at 1800rpm. Quick fix by pulling what remained of the hose off and cutting 1/2" off and reattaching.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw X3
Does anyone know if that same vacuum leak can cause the service engine soon light to come on?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2006 (E83)
Instead of the commonly suggested workaround of deactivating the control system of the butterfly valve (exhaust flap), you can simply fix the rattling if it is caused by a leaking vacuum hose (most likely!). See this: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&vid...dR8&feature=vm
Old 05-31-2014, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
I think this is the link you meant to have, Sepehr:

Last edited by Supercourse; 05-31-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
rear vac hose replacement

had good success dropping just one side of the rear bumper a bit to access the rear vac hose ......it gives enough room to get the new hose in.....about a couple or three feet of good quality hose and you're done in about 1 hour

a best plan is to also replace the bits of hoses upfront going to the vac accumulator/rear of inlet manifold on lots of models .....20 bucks of 5mm vac hose and voila !.....contented exhaust and less vac leaks up front