Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: Chrysler
Buying a new X1

Hi All
I am considering buying a new X1 (or lease for 3 years) in New Jersey
Are there lot of changes between 2014 and 2015 model?
How is the maintenance costs / oil changes etc?
Do I necessarily go to the dealer for the services or I can go to reputed Bimmer shops?
I have a daily commute of 30+30 miles
I see that for benz in US, dealer wont really stand there to help in case of issues
How is it with BMW ?
Also, is it a nice SUV for a family with one kid(1 yr old)?
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
No, just a few trim differences.
Quote:
Typical BMW 4 years free maintenance, you pay for gas and rubber.
Quote:
Do I necessarily go to the dealer for the services or I can go to reputed Bimmer shops?
You'll have to go to the dealer.
Quote:
I see that for benz in US, dealer wont really stand there to help in case of issues
How is it with BMW ?
BMW has services for this, I think the first year is free.
Quote:
You fit the X1 profile.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x1 xdrive28i
The X1 rides quite hard if your roads aren't perfect, it's more for sport than comfort. In terms of practicality, think of it as a small hatch back instead of a SUV, as it's more closely related to a small car. Overall, this car is great for a man child like me who want to look grown up without having to grow up, but if you have actual family needs, you can probably do better.

Oh, and I think 4 years of maintenance is still free.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
I think Stonex1 answered all of your questions, but I guess the option to buy/lease is still yours. I think if I was younger and just starting a family I would probably look at something that is less expensive and maybe has more room. There are a lot of smaller to mid sized SUV's out there that will do the same thing as an X1 at a substantially reduced cost, such as the Honda CR-V, Hyundai Santa Fe, etc. If you really love the BMW because it checks all the right boxes for you then I say go ahead and make the purchase, but if you have never had a BMW and you just want a badge then you may be looking at the wrong vehicle. Personally, my wife and I got ours because we are older and the kids have finally moved out and it is a nice sporty option for a smaller SUV.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvedia View Post
Hi All
I am considering buying a new X1 (or lease for 3 years) in New Jersey
I have a daily commute of 30+30 miles
How is it with BMW ?
Leasing is a money-losing proposition, unless you're the type of guy who likes to always be driving a shiny new car (it's still money losing, but you'll be happier).
If you're in NJ, you might want to buy the xDrive (AWD) model - I live where it's flat and only snows a couple of times a year, so the RWD on my sDrive is not a problem, but you New England folks see a lot more of the white stuff (esp last week!)
All routine maintenance is covered by the dealer for 50,000 miles, after that you can go wherever you like (as long as it's reputable and you keep good records).
It takes mid- to high-grade gasoline, so that will incr costs some. If you replace the stock run-flat-tires with more of the same, that will cost you $1000+ per set (I plan on replacing with standard radials when my RFT's wear out, both for cost savings and softer ride).
I've had a couple of minor issues, and the dealer was prompt to take care of them - they definitely want return customers.
I can comfortably fit my wife and 3 kids (incl a toddler in a car seat in the back-middle) for running around town. For any long trips or hauling gear, we're using my wife's minivan.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: X1 35i
If you are considering a lease you should apply for the lease prior to March 2nd so you can lock into the current program. The residual values are really high right now so the lease payments are lower. RV on a 15k year/ 36 month lease is 65% right now, up from 62% in January.

Also definitely shop around to multiple dealers (can be done via email). Fortunately in NJ there are so many BMW dealerships that competition is high. I was ordering a car and sent the exact build spec around to 6 different dealers in northern NJ until I got the deal I wanted.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
To the OP (nvedia):

I see this is your first post and by the way you are asking your questions I suspect you are not a BMW "insider." There's nothing wrong with the questions you are asking but many people on this forum would expect that you know more about buying BMW's than you perhaps really do know.

With that in mind, I would like to answer your questions very directly:

New BMW's have both a 4-year 50,000 warranty and included service for the original owner for that period of time. What that effectively means is if you lease the car for 3 years, your only expenses in addition to gas, tires (maybe) and insurance are the lease payments. Obviously the work needs to be done at the dealer in that case.

You should be aware that if you are well prepared, depending on the situation a BMW lease is actually a very economical way to "own" a BMW. As another poster mentioned, BMW is currently giving excellent support to X1 leases by providing high residual values on the leases. If you are not very knowledgeable about how leases work, this might not mean all that much to you but suffice it to say, what it means is that you are only paying for 35% depreciation (or actually significantly less if you make a good deal on the purchase price) of an X1 over 3 years which is much better than you would be likely to do by buying the car outright. There is a lot of information about leasing on this website if you search for it.

I believe you can currently lease a nicely equipped X1 in the $300's/month right now with nothing down and remember that includes maintenance.

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 02-24-2015, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvedia View Post
How is it with BMW ?
BMW is the same

if your car is out of warranty then tough luck... you bring money they fix, you don't bring money they won't

get extended warranty (extra three years) then sell the car when you still have one year warranty to go
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING

Last edited by SilverX3; 02-24-2015 at 03:47 PM.