Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X1
a question of power...

Electrical power, that is. My X-1 doesn't have a nav system...I'm OK with that since the last two vehicles I've had with a built in system were not terribly satisfying experiences...mapping that was quite outdated, mediocre feature sets for the price, mapping updates expensive, DVD based mapping instead of flash/SSD, etc. etc.

Since I've used an external GPS for years anyway, I was good to go, with a good quality Garmin...or so I thought.

I mounted the GPS, plugged it in to the accessory port on the dash, and called it good. A couple of hours later, the GPS died; "Battery is Exhausted" was the message on the screen before it went black. Battery? In what, the car? The GPS battery should SURELY be fully charged; it's plugged in, and the light on the charger head is lit.

Wrong. The GPS battery was flat. Now, this is a fairly new GPS, perhaps 6 months old, so I knew the internal battery was fine. Thinking perhaps there was an intermittent connectivity issue in the charge cable, the adaptor connection in the dash, or? I switched cables with a proven good one, replaced the fuse in the car even though it wasn't blown, had the GPS checked to ensure the connection for power was good, then plugged into the adaptor plug in the back seat. Red light came "on" on the power cord...good to go.

Yeah...nope. Same general problem...the GPS runs on it's internal battery until that's exhausted, then dies.

Has anyone had voltage fluctuations in the accessory plugs to the degree that they won't adequately power something like a GPS? That's the only thing I can think of that I haven't addressed. It needs a solid 5 volt output to operate and keep the internal battery charged up...it seems as though I'm either not getting adequate voltage from the car, or there is an intermittent failure in the circuit.

My next option is to hard wire directly to the fuse panel or the battery terminals; I'd rather not do that since I'll have to figure out a way to step down the voltage from 12V to 5V that's stable.

I'm puzzled...not that that is terribly difficult to achieve. Any suggestions of something stupidly obvious that I've missed would be welcomed, and I will promise to consume an adequate amount of crow while taking said advice!
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Are you using a usb port to plug in your Garmin, or cigarette port?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 PM

Cigarette. If you plug it into the USB port, it (the Garmin) thinks it's connected to a computer so there is no navigation functionality
Old 03-02-2015, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x1 xdrive28i
Have you plugged anything in to check and see if the cigarette port works. It's not uncommon to have a blown fuse.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Also assuming the car is on and running when you plugged it in?

-----
2015 X1 sDrive XLine - "Hamilton Maxwell"

-------
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 03-02-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmouse View Post
Have you plugged anything in to check and see if the cigarette port works. It's not uncommon to have a blown fuse.
yes, as I said in the original post that although the function indicator light on the GPS power cord is on, I replaced the fuse as a precautionary item, even though it wasn't blown.

I know from past experience that fuses can infrequently fail in spots other than the frangible link, I swapped it out with a new one just to be safe
Old 03-02-2015, 07:18 AM

kjboyd, yes, I've only plugged in after the car was started and the idle established
Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
What about another vehicle you could test with?
Of course, you would need time to see if the GPS exhausts its internal
battery again.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 AM

This GPS is a "Proven Good" unit. I used it daily in my previous vehicle for in excess of 6 months. That said, things break, sometimes at the most inconvenient times, so when it first started this behaviour in the BMW & as I mention in my original post, I took the unit into the retailer (GPS Central, one of the largest GPS retailers in North America) and had them check it thoroughly. Everything works as it should.

Yesterday I swapped it out with my wife's GPS from her Honda. My unit functioned perfectly in her car and her's, a much smaller unit, worked in the BMW, but was also showing battery discharge after a couple of hours.