Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM
athletic01 athletic01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0 05
Z4 3.0 oil change price ?

What is the normal price for one oil change for a BMW Z4 3.0i approx ?
And how much does the BMW dealer charge normally ?

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-26-2010, 04:40 PM
jacapuano jacapuano is offline
Registered User
Location: Branford, CT
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 2.5i
Z4 3.0 oil change price

I have a 2004 Z4 2.5I which takes seven quarts of oil. A local dealer here in Connecticut charges $119.95, but I had one done at an independent shop and the charge was about $80....and he used "genuine" BMW synthetic oil to boot. I think the charge for the 3.0 model should be about the same.
Hope this helps
__________________
2004 Alpine White 2.5i, beige top,5 speed,xenons, heated seats,chrome exhaust tips, OEM steel pedal pads.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM
scottyD's Avatar
scottyD scottyD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DC
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 202
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si Coupe
7 quarts of BMW oil and filter kit runs about $60 if you do it yourself
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Mario Free Mario Free is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 108
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Sport
Dealership may charge up to $185 for an oil change including filter replacement. You can do it yourself for less than $70.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Psygnosis Psygnosis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i Sport
I went to Seattle BMW because I had a hard time finding an independent, it was about $100
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-28-2010, 11:08 AM
seth1993's Avatar
seth1993 seth1993 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North Georgia
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 263
Mein Auto: BMW Z3
Dealerships are ridiculous I took mine up to get it done and they said it would be $120 (in Greenville, SC), plus extra to disassemble my aftermarket supercharger. I finally settled on a mechanic shop for about $75-$80 with synthetic mobile one oil and filter. Yeah it does look alot better on record if you took it to the dealer, but my opinion if you're looking to save money just find a good mechanic (who works commonly with foreign vehicles) who knows what he's doing.
__________________
“Speed has never killed anyone.... Suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson
Supercharged
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Orcrone Orcrone is offline
Registered User
Location: Vero Beach, Fl
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
I get e-mail coupons from the two local dealerships. Currently one is having an $89.95 special and the other a $69.95 special. Car is still under the 4 year maintenance program so I don't know their regular prices.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Jermy1304 Jermy1304 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 508
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Let me help you with a DIY. The Oil Filter Housing is removed with a 36mm(yes, that big) Socket which I mount a 1/2 inch drive Ratchet, The Oil Plug is 17mm which i mount on a 3/8 inch Ratchet, There is a Gasket on the Oil Plug(Don't lose it when the oil poors out), It takes 7.2 Quarts when replacing the Oil Filter. At Wal-Mart, 5w-30 Castrol Full Synethic Oil is $25 per 5 quarts. Buy three of those for $75 and you have enough for two full oil changes. The Oil Filter should be roughly $12....So about $50 per Oil Change. Not bad at all for a 6,000 mile oil change!

***You will also NEED a Low-Profile Jack and Two Jack Stands.

Last edited by Jermy1304; 04-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
captaineddie captaineddie is offline
Registered User
Location: Jasper, Ga
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Jack Points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermy1304 View Post
Let me help you with a DIY. The Oil Filter Housing is removed with a 36mm(yes, that big) Socket which I mount a 1/2 inch drive Ratchet, The Oil Plug is 17mm which i mount on a 3/8 inch Ratchet, There is a Gasket on the Oil Plug(Don't lose it when the oil poors out), It takes 7.2 Quarts when replacing the Oil Filter. At Wal-Mart, 5w-30 Castrol Full Synethic Oil is $25 per 5 quarts. Buy three of those for $75 and you have enough for two full oil changes. The Oil Filter should be roughly $12....So about $50 per Oil Change. Not bad at all for a 6,000 mile oil change!

***You will also NEED a Low-Profile Jack and Two Jack Stands.
Is there a diagram somewhere that show the exact jack points on the Z4?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineddie View Post
Is there a diagram somewhere that show the exact jack points on the Z4?
It's in the Z4 FAQ.
__________________
.
.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Jermy1304 Jermy1304 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 508
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineddie View Post
Is there a diagram somewhere that show the exact jack points on the Z4?
Right behind the driver and passenger side wheels(in the direction the trunk). It should be a black rubber square lower than the rest of the under side of your car. you can't miss it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 PM
captaineddie captaineddie is offline
Registered User
Location: Jasper, Ga
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermy1304 View Post
Right behind the driver and passenger side wheels(in the direction the trunk). It should be a black rubber square lower than the rest of the under side of your car. you can't miss it.
OK. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,480
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Even easier, get a MityVac oil extractor. Cheaper and easier than jacking and crawling under.

Warm engine, shut down, pull dipstick, stick oil extractor tube in dip stick hole and pump to start uscking. Remove oil filter cap and remove oil filter and disgard. Insert new oil filter, replace the O-ring on the cap and the small one at the end of the oil filter bolt, also washer. All come in the oil filter package.

Once oil is out, put fresh oil in.. Install dipstik, start and run until oil pressur elight goes out. Check oil level to make sure you put the right amount in.

You an buy the filters and oil at the BMW dealer. For anything but the S54 engine you can use any waultiy synthetic oil that meets BMW standards. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in my LTW. BMW oil in the Roadster (S-52). If you join BMWCCA most dealers give a good discount on parts (including oil).
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
captaineddie captaineddie is offline
Registered User
Location: Jasper, Ga
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Question MityVac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Even easier, get a MityVac oil extractor. Cheaper and easier than jacking and crawling under.

Warm engine, shut down, pull dipstick, stick oil extractor tube in dip stick hole and pump to start uscking. Remove oil filter cap and remove oil filter and disgard. Insert new oil filter, replace the O-ring on the cap and the small one at the end of the oil filter bolt, also washer. All come in the oil filter package.

Once oil is out, put fresh oil in.. Install dipstik, start and run until oil pressur elight goes out. Check oil level to make sure you put the right amount in.

You an buy the filters and oil at the BMW dealer. For anything but the S54 engine you can use any waultiy synthetic oil that meets BMW standards. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in my LTW. BMW oil in the Roadster (S-52). If you join BMWCCA most dealers give a good discount on parts (including oil).
My Z4 doesn't have a dipstick. I don't suppose there's another way to drain the oil without crawling underneath??
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Jermy1304 Jermy1304 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 508
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineddie View Post
My Z4 doesn't have a dipstick. I don't suppose there's another way to drain the oil without crawling underneath??
Your Z4 certainly DOES have a dipstick. Pop the hood, look at the engine, go to the right side of it and pull your hand towards you until you stumble upon a red loop. Pull on it and say, "Hey look a dip stick!"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 PM
jsc's Avatar
jsc jsc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,441
Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermy1304 View Post
Your Z4 certainly DOES have a dipstick. Pop the hood, look at the engine, go to the right side of it and pull your hand towards you until you stumble upon a red loop. Pull on it and say, "Hey look a dip stick!"
The N52 engined Z4s from 2006 onwards don't have dipsticks, just the electronic oil level on the dash display.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Jermy1304 Jermy1304 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 508
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
The N52 engined Z4s from 2006 onwards don't have dipsticks, just the electronic oil level on the dash display.
My mistake, I lost track of who was posting. I thought this was the original owner of this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Proph Proph is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 05 Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineddie View Post
My Z4 doesn't have a dipstick. I don't suppose there's another way to drain the oil without crawling underneath??
Sorry. You have to do it the old fashioned way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms