Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: x3 and 545i
OEM BMW batteries

anybody know what is the original equipment used for batteries on a BMW? I have a 2005 X3 and a 2004 545i and not sure the original battery are in them. pls advise
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 02 Honda Civic 06 BMW X3
FWIW, my 06 X3 just got a new battery under warranty and it's an Exide. I don't recall what the original one was though.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipomi View Post
anybody know what is the original equipment used for batteries on a BMW? I have a 2005 X3 and a 2004 545i and not sure the original battery are in them. pls advise
The original battery in a BMW is made by Varta.

The exact same Varta battery is not available for sale in N. America through BMW dealers or otherwise.

Replacement batteries for N. American BMW's were for a long time supplied by Douglas Battery, in a white/translucent case, and looked very much the same as the original Varta.

In 2005, the automotive battery division of Douglas was acquired by East Penn. Mfg.

This is where my understanding gets fuzzy ....

In N. America, Johnson Controls has Varta as a brand name, but don't make the same batteries as the O.E. ones in many German cars.

Back in Germany, the Quandt family that owned Varta for a century, owns a substantial part of BMW.

In 2006, Exide won the contract for supplying U.S. dealers with replacement batteries.
(Maybe because the Quandts sold a chunk of Varta to Johnson Controls, or because Douglas Battery got absorbed by East Penn?)

Meanwhile, a good facsimile of the O.E. battery could be obtained through various retail outlets,
made by Johnson Controls but labeled as a Duralast (Autozone house brand), Interstate MegaTron, Everstart/Energizer (WalMart), Kirkland (Costco), and a few others.

Then there is the Deka "exact fit" battery which is an East Penn. brand and appears to be a Douglas rebranded (sold by Batteries Plus as a Werker).

Maybe BMW dealers have the freedom to get their replacement batteries from whoever they choose.

I kind of doubt that Exide is the sole replacement battery supplier for U.S. dealerships, particularly as most people rate them behind Johnson Controls in performance/longevity.

Last edited by Supercourse; 04-26-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Good rundown Super. I always wondered who made that stuff. I have used the Sears Die Hard for years in many cars as replacements and always found them very reliable. If the one or two that had problems did fail it was easy to get a replacement from Sears almost anywhere. Anyone know which battery make Consumer Reports recommends?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Anyone know which battery make Consumer Reports recommends?
Consumer Reports last reported on auto batteries last November. They divide their ratings into 5 by battery size and address sizes for US and Japanese brands only. The ratings by brand are all over the place, too. For instance they rate Diehard Platinum tops in a couple of the sizes, but then don't recommend them because of high price. And they rate Diehard Gold way down in most of the sizes.

Just quickly looking at the results, they recommend Kirkland (COSTCO house brand), Everstart Maxx, Autocraft Titanium, and Bosch Premium Power.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
L. Thanks for the rundown. I will probably look at the Costco brand when I replace my next battery and save a few bucks.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: x3 and 545i
Smile

Super,
You are a walking dictionary. thanks for the infomation.
I priced a replacement battery at the BMW dealer for the X3. $459 plus tax with a 2 year warranty. NFW!!
I got the repalcement at Auto Zone (Duralast) for 157 and had it installed for 40 dollars. it cam with a 3 year warranty.
Thanks Boys!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
I just posted a week or so ago about the Energizer series 48 at Sam's Club that I had to get. $67 out the door with a 3 yr full replacement warranty, and 8 yr pro-rated warranty.