Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsean View Post

Then, last Friday (5/7), my rep at the dealer called and told me "it's on a truck" and I should have it in 7-10 days.

Oh, and I live in California.

1. I think the dealer is lying. It cannot be 'on a truck' and still take "7-10 days" if you live in California....

2. Cars go from Spartanburg, CA to the Oxnard VPC in southern CA via train- this is all "within BMW" transport. This is considered "still in BMW control" and these cars do not need CARB certs.

3. Once it is released from Oxnard VPC it is considered "in the dealers hands". it must be CARB/Certed... It is put on a truck to the dealership. It takes 2-3 days MAX anywhere in California!

4. As the dealer to page print the "Dealerspeed.net" status page showing your car "released to carrier" as "green".

Then I'd believe it.

A
Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Given the lack of data organization at BMWNA, has anyone called CARB to see what the hold up is?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Drive like you mean it.

Mein Auto: Mercedes S550, 633csi
CA is broke. Good luck getting anyone on the phone. I'm going to drive an X5 5.0i right now at my local dealer, I may jump ship. Annoyed and tired of waiting, and renting a car!
1984 BMW 633csi 'big coupe', silver/tan, fun third car.
1990 Ferrari Testarossa, black/tan, Borla exhaust, no cats. Awesome.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston Bimmer View Post
CA is broke. Good luck getting anyone on the phone. I'm going to drive an X5 5.0i right now at my local dealer, I may jump ship. Annoyed and tired of waiting, and renting a car!
Very true. However, I think you will get tired of the 12mpg city after a month. I bet there will decent information out after this week is over.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d / 2013 135is
Quote:
Given the lack of data organization at BMWNA, has anyone called CARB to see what the hold up is?
I called CARB and spoke with the engineer in charge of Lt. Trucks... very nice but not very helpful.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
I called CARB and spoke with the engineer in charge of Lt. Trucks... very nice but not very helpful.
several of us on this forum and on xoutpost.com have spoken to bill at carb, who 'sits next to the guy' doing the approval for the X5's. bill's standard line is that he can not release any info related to this , but he is very nice about it. he has been saying this since i spoke to him mid april.

the good news is that since then the X5's have been passing certification one at a time. first was the M, then the 50i, then the 35i and next has to be the 35d, so fingers crossed that they will have the approval hopefully this week so i can get my 35d that has been ready since 4/20 (i know... how awesome is it that my diesel completed production on 4/20. how fitting.. LOL )

Lammy
Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeX5 View Post
In reality, if you look at their updates, the certificate is several days old before they post it. So hopefully we would hear about it before its posted. ;-)

-- Lee

ps. I refresh hourly too ;-)
Site was updated earlier - chrysler and mazda approvals. :-(

-- Lee
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Drive like you mean it.

I just spoke with someone at BMW NA and NOT in customer service. In fact, the person's job title is so specific that mentioning it would get them in trouble.
However...I can tell you what I was told.
Should I tell you guys?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
I just spoke with someone at BMW NA and NOT in customer service. In fact, the person's job title is so specific that mentioning it would get them in trouble.
However...I can tell you what I was told.
Should I tell you guys?
Yes, we already know the X5 is built in SC.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Drive like you mean it.

Okay, okay, just teasing you guys. I was actually told that they expect CARB certification by tomorrow, and that cars would likely start shipping Thursday. This could be off by a day, but that's the official 'unofficial' word.

On a lighter note, I drove a 2011 X5 5.0i today and good lord was it F A S T. I mean downright frightening when the boost is up. There was ONE available the way I wanted (every single option except active drive and heads up display is now I equipped my 35d), EXCEPT that it had a beige leather interior. That was a deal breaker. But it was in NH, and I could have had it TODAY. My CA was going to drive me up in a 2010 X5 M (which he offered to sell me more than once at a substantial discount - tempting!) and get it with me.

In the end, though, it would have been a compromise. I had to remember why I (and so many of you) ordered one in the first place - $4500 Eco Credit, fantastic fuel economy, tons of useable torque and an unbeatable resale value. I think the X5 50i would have just landed me in a lot of trouble, and used LOTS of fuel doing it.

So, I shall wait with the rest of my oil burning friends

Don't you just wish we could all meet up in SC at the impound lot and get our cars together? That would be fun...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
I was actually told that they expect CARB certification by tomorrow, and that cars would likely start shipping Thursday .
Since that's coming from BMW NA...I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
.... My CA was going to drive me up in a 2010 X5 M (which he offered to sell me more than once at a substantial discount - tempting!) .....
how substantial?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Drive like you mean it.

Yeah, I know, I know. But this was a person that is involved in the certification, and I told this person it would be okay if it were three weeks, just let me know and I will stop asking - the answer was still the same. So, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. But we'll see!

On the X5 M, he offered me $75k, but I honestly think he would go to $70k. That's just my gut feeling. It is that beautiful bright M car blue, a sparkling metallic, and still had the sticker in the window. But it had an Oyster leather interior, too light for me with my 9 year old daughter and her best friend (who is with us constantly). But it was very tempting...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Yeah, I know, I know. But this was a person that is involved in the certification, and I told this person it would be okay if it were three weeks, just let me know and I will stop asking - the answer was still the same. So, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. But we'll see!

On the X5 M, he offered me $75k, but I honestly think he would go to $70k. That's just my gut feeling. It is that beautiful bright M car blue, a sparkling metallic, and still had the sticker in the window. But it had an Oyster leather interior, too light for me with my 9 year old daughter and her best friend (who is with us constantly). But it was very tempting...
That is pretty tempting I don't know how you're able to resist.....
Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Quote:

Does this mean that the issue with the missing seat modules for Week 15 and Week 16 vehicles has also been solved?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Drive like you mean it.

Not sure, the X5 50i I drove was not sport package equipped...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: S6
What I can't understand is how some of the cars are actually being delivered while others are still waiting. I have an 2011 X5M that was completed on April 15th and I still don't have a clue when it will be here. Another X5M that was ordered a day after mine arrived last week. How does that happen? Are thye picking and choosing which cars actually get these seat modules?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepasquale View Post
Another X5M that was ordered a day after mine arrived last week. How does that happen?
Production scheduling at an automotive plant typically is not first in first out. The production line is "balanced" for the most efficient and cost-effective operation by grouping particular builds together, e.g., some plants may group all red paint to go into production together, sequence then from light colors to darker to simplify the paint process, or delay some builds because a part needed for a particular option may be delayed.

In addition, if you are comparing orders from different dealers, most often an existing allocation/build that is already in the tentative build schedule is switched to a custom order, e.g., one dealer on May 1 might be able to modify and existing scheduled "stock" build that has a production date of June 15, while another dealer on May 1 might not have anything available in their allocation schedule until July 15.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: S6
I should have been more clear...both of our cars were ordered from the same dealer. We had the same exterior color, different interior and mine does have a few more options. But the point is that my car has been waiting to be released to the carrier since April 15th. Some X5Ms are shipping so they must be getting these seat modules. I believe mine was a week 14 production with a 7555*** production number. I just don't understand how other cars produced later are shipping and my car has been sitting there for a month.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Just curious if there is a "normal" amount of time it takes for the X5 to get from the VPC center in Oxnard, CA to a dealer in Socal.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
justsean, I can't imagine the nightmare of this for you. I would have gone to range rover on something else by now.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Production scheduling at an automotive plant typically is not first in first out. The production line is "balanced" for the most efficient and cost-effective operation by grouping particular builds together, e.g., some plants may group all red paint to go into production together, sequence then from light colors to darker to simplify the paint process, or delay some builds because a part needed for a particular option may be delayed.

In addition, if you are comparing orders from different dealers, most often an existing allocation/build that is already in the tentative build schedule is switched to a custom order, e.g., one dealer on May 1 might be able to modify and existing scheduled "stock" build that has a production date of June 15, while another dealer on May 1 might not have anything available in their allocation schedule until July 15.
Penguin hit the nail on the head. I'll try and explain the issue with the seat module a different way. The most efficient and effective way to keep producing cars is to continue producing them, instead of stopping the assembly line for a supply issue with a non-crucial element of the assembly process as opposed to say something related to the transmission or engine.

So they kept producing cars until the seat module supply ran out, the transition point between SOP 14 and 15. An inline decision (a simple part vs something that would halt production) was made and they continued to produce those unlucky cars without the seat module during SOP 15 and 16, to be later retrofitted at the VPC when they got an adequate supply. Week 17+ cars I assume will have the seat module.

My car was ordered in early March and produced on April 11th #7556050, while rans09vert's car was ordered in February produced on April 14th #7556059. Mine was delivered to dealer on May 1st, while his is sitting at the VPC. These are 2 different dealers. In your example, maybe the person that ordered the X5M a day after, got a stock allocation slot that was switched to a custom order in the queue that was before yours? Find out when his was finished.

Someone in the 5 series forums I think made a comment that they were prioritizing seat modules for the 5s in Germany so that they ensure the release of the much anticipated 5 goes off without a hitch.

Last edited by arjuno; 05-11-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjuno View Post
So they kept producing cars until the seat module supply ran out, the transition point between SOP 14 and 15. An inline decision (a simple part vs something that would halt production) was made and they continued to produce those unlucky cars without the seat module during SOP 15 and 16, to be later retrofitted at the VPC when they got an adequate supply. Week 17+ cars I assume will have the seat module.
Yup. And perhaps to clarify, here's a theoretical case. Assume a weeks worth of production went on without the seat module, so you had a weeks worth of produced vehicles that needed modules added.

Now the plant gets a one week supply.

Do they do what's most "fair" to the customer, and use those to "fix" the vehicles already produced, and produce another weeks worth of vehicles that need to have the module added off-line later?

Do they shut-down production for a week?

Or do they do what's most efficient and cost-effective, and use those modules on the new production, letting the prior week's product sit, waiting until an adequate supply is available to "fix" the offline vehicles AND support continued production?

As you might guess, the vehicles produced without the module will likely take second priority to the new production.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 09 mini cooper S conv JCW
Penguin, that is exactly what happened I think. Arjuno, I posted that the 5 series are getting the seat modules, as per what my dealer told me.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Drive like you mean it.

fonger,
I think he would let the 2010 X5 M go for $75k or so, but I will ask tomorrow...
It still has the sticker on it, but has $4k miles on it - was executive/demo car.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
fonger,
I think he would let the 2010 X5 M go for $75k or so, but I will ask tomorrow...
It still has the sticker on it, but has $4k miles on it - was executive/demo car.
If I was buying a new $85k X5M, I wouldn't even be considering getting a used one to save what?$10k? But it will be sold at that price........... just can't understand other people's logic sometimes.