Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
If I was buying a new $85k X5M, I wouldn't even be considering getting a used one to save what?$10k? But it will be sold at that price........... just can't understand other people's logic sometimes.
Last I checked, a X5M MSRP fully optioned out was over 100k, a stripped one with no options started at 85k. If that vehicle was fully optioned out, its invoice alone is going to some somewhere in the 92-94k range. They'd be saving themselves over 20k.

Last edited by arjuno; 05-11-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjuno View Post

Someone in the 5 series forums I think made a comment that they were prioritizing seat modules for the 5s in Germany so that they ensure the release of the much anticipated 5 goes off without a hitch.
Of course. They already don't care about the US launch after f@cking NA with old ass non face-lifted headlights, no 40D engine or 8 speed tranny for the 35D.
I ordered a brand new M3 back in early 2008 and had similar issues with them running out of product stock and continuous delays for not having certain items. I see absolutely nothing has changed in two years.
Thanks for applying some lessons learned, BMW.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston Bimmer View Post
Okay, okay, just teasing you guys. I was actually told that they expect CARB certification by tomorrow, and that cars would likely start shipping Thursday. This could be off by a day, but that's the official 'unofficial' word.
I suspect they may release cars today actually. Mine was placed on a common carrier the day before the EO was signed. (at least based on the date of the EO signature. Maybe a screw up, but it was in NorCal the day after the EO.

Any bets?

Should have some deliveries in socal by Thursday...

A
Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 diesel
Here is an update from my CA earlier last week:

sent us this email earlier today.

" Hello Everyone, I just got off the phone with BMW distribution. They said that the X5 diesel and 335 diesel are still awaiting emissions approval from CARB (California Air Resources Board) and their best estimate is a release date of mid May which would mean 2011 X5 diesels & 335d models should be rolling in sometime around the 20th."

I wish the government would hurry up with their testing so our customers can start enjoying their X5s, but we have no control over them. Sorry the information has been so vague, but I am also in the dark.

So who knows whats going on....
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Kapitan View Post

I wish the government would hurry up with their testing ....
Actually I am pretty sure that it is entirely a paper process- just review the submission and sign the EO. Even more annoying.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Drive like you mean it.

Mein Auto: Mercedes S550, 633csi
ARD, the 2010 X5 M that I was referring to did indeed have a sticker of just over $94k. If it was a 2011 and had a darker leather, I would have considered it. But too many changes for 2011 to pay that much for an 'old' car. I think it was untitled and had been driven with a dealer plate on it - it would be sold as 'new', I believe.

As for emissions, I'm hoping they release the cars today - we'll see...

PS - just checked the CARB site, they added a Mazda and a Chrysler yesterday (May 11th). No BMW. Cross your fingers they add something today that shows up!
1984 BMW 633csi 'big coupe', silver/tan, fun third car.
1990 Ferrari Testarossa, black/tan, Borla exhaust, no cats. Awesome.

Last edited by Malibu Bimmer; 05-12-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Cheap X5M

Quote:
ARD, the 2010 X5 M that I was referring to did indeed have a sticker of just over $94k. If it was a 2011 and had a darker leather, I would have considered it. But too many changes for 2011 to pay that much for an 'old' car. I think it was untitled and had been driven with a dealer plate on it - it would be sold as 'new', I believe.
I thought that the "M"s only had the 6 speed not the 8 speed, because the 8 speed can not take the power & Torque.
The bumpers for the 2011 wouldn't make any difference because of the M Bumpers, and I'm sure they would have the new "SD" card and 20 Gb MP3 player in the HiFi.

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 05-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Drive like you mean it.

I forgot to mention the other reason I ordered a diesel - I don't want a vehicle as fast as the X5 M, I don't have the common sense to drive it normally.
Pathetic, but honest. I know my limits and bought the right vehicle
Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Quote:
I forgot to mention the other reason I ordered a diesel - I don't want a vehicle as fast as the X5 M, I don't have the common sense to drive it normally.
Pathetic, but honest. I know my limits and bought the right vehicle

Yep, that's how i would drive it too !
probably loose my License in the first week

Rear view camera
Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Drive like you mean it.

I had put 31,000 miles on my 2008 535i six speed in 13 months. I turned it in with a slipping clutch, bald tires, a tired motor and more than a few over 100mph speeding stops.
In the year since, not even a parking ticket. The only fast vehicle I will own going forward is my track day car!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Quote:
IIn the year since, not even a parking ticket. The only fast vehicle I will own going forward is my track day car!

Ah, see, you have a tension releif tool (track car) nice !
i have an unLimited Autobahn just 30 kms away crossing Holland, and then into Germany.
2 hours away is the Nurburgring Nordslaff. - Now you would like that, 150 corners over 19 kms in the Eiffel hills.
A lot of fun when I've driven it in Porches. I don't think the X5 would be to well suited to it though.

Rear view camera
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Drive like you mean it.

Marlbro. that does sound very nice!

On a more depressing note, I just spoke to someone at CARB. They requested some information from BMW, and are now waiting for BMW to get back to them. Once that happens, it should only take 'a day or two' for them to certify it. He described the process as having a lot of 'back and forth involved' and that it had more to do with the slightly more complicated and newer processes for the ULEV diesel engines.

It sounds like CARB is ready to sign off on it if they get what they need. I saw no need to press him for more info, he already gave me more than I expected (which was 'sorry, I can't help you...').

I asked him if I should hold onto my rental car for another week or so, he said that might not be a bad idea.

So, there you have it. That's the latest.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
You have an Alpine White on order, yet you have the Bronze as your signature picture. Just sayin.....
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Okay, okay, just teasing you guys. I was actually told that they expect CARB certification by tomorrow, and that cars would likely start shipping Thursday. This could be off by a day, but that's the official 'unofficial' word.

On a lighter note, I drove a 2011 X5 5.0i today and good lord was it F A S T. I mean downright frightening when the boost is up. There was ONE available the way I wanted (every single option except active drive and heads up display is now I equipped my 35d), EXCEPT that it had a beige leather interior. That was a deal breaker. But it was in NH, and I could have had it TODAY. My CA was going to drive me up in a 2010 X5 M (which he offered to sell me more than once at a substantial discount - tempting!) and get it with me.

In the end, though, it would have been a compromise. I had to remember why I (and so many of you) ordered one in the first place - $4500 Eco Credit, fantastic fuel economy, tons of useable torque and an unbeatable resale value. I think the X5 50i would have just landed me in a lot of trouble, and used LOTS of fuel doing it.

So, I shall wait with the rest of my oil burning friends

Don't you just wish we could all meet up in SC at the impound lot and get our cars together? That would be fun...

OMG OMG i am leaving tonite for my performance delivery 'substitution' aka BMW 101 on thursday at 8AM. i would crap myself if the approvals come out that same day and i cant drive my car home like i was supposed to. i believe the delivery was already changed from PCD to Dealer delivery..

still, if i am down there and CARB approves in the next 24 hours, you are going to have to call in the military to prevent me from finding my car and driving it home... HA!

Lammy
Old 05-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Drive like you mean it.

0428, I was unable to find a photo of a real white 2011 X5 with the proper bumpers and rectangular exhaust outlets. If you find me one, i will change it

Lammy, too funny. I would feel the same way. I am so tired of waiting for my car. I feel this CARB stuff should have been done a long time ago, but I really have no idea what is involved, so I suppose I have nothing to base that on except my own impatience and the fact that someone should have told us our cars would be delayed by this. BMW had to have known. I would have probably still bought it, but at least I would have had the option of going with a similar 2010 model. Not that I would have
Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
0428, I was unable to find a photo of a real white 2011 X5 with the proper bumpers and rectangular exhaust outlets. If you find me one, i will change it

Lammy, too funny. I would feel the same way. I am so tired of waiting for my car. I feel this CARB stuff should have been done a long time ago, but I really have no idea what is involved, so I suppose I have nothing to base that on except my own impatience and the fact that someone should have told us our cars would be delayed by this. BMW had to have known. I would have probably still bought it, but at least I would have had the option of going with a similar 2010 model. Not that I would have
interesting story for me. i think you'll appreciate.

so i actually ordered a 2010 35d on the last day you could order them before the eco credit was supposed to 'expire'. so i rushed in on the last day of march and ordered a 2010 35d. i got a great price and ordered it with almost all the bells and whistles. then about 30 minutes after i left, the dealership they called to tell me they couldn't get the HUD that i ordered due to parts not being available. at first i was bummed, but then i thought.. well - perfect.. this lets me hedge my bets and wait a few days for the 2011's to get announced as to if they eco credit was being extended or not. my CA was trying to pressure me into buying the 2010 (which he did) saying the credit 'might' not be available.

anyway - i waited the 2 days for the credit to be re-announced for the 2011's and then cancelled my 2010 due to the HUD not being available and ordered a 2011 at the same price with everything i wanted.. so even in my case, and especially on a lease, it made way more sense to have the 2011 model for the residual value when the lease was up. why have a 4 year old car when i could have a 3 year old car especially if all i had to wait was a few weeks difference between models. that being said, i thought i would have my vehicle end april - not end may.. but - i know it will be worth the wait. like i said. my diesel completed production on 4/20. how appropriate (for me especially)

ill let you guys know how the performance center experience goes tomorrow..

-Lammy
Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Drive like you mean it.

I have a similar story, and see a 2010 X5 35d in white, just like I ordered, sitting at the dealer every time I go to bother them. I hurts to know I could be driving one now, but would hurt more when I see a 2011 roll up next to me.

I am so annoyed and want this obsessive waiting to end, I keep going back to the idea of just buying a 2011 X5 5.0i to end all this. I am sure I will love the engine and all that, but I can't help thinking it's the wrong way to go. But I'm tired of BMW telling me 'any day now' and driving a rental.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 AM

When will the "any day now" end ? Perhaps any day now ? ;-)

-- Lee
Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335Xi Coupe'
Weston, Did the dealer offer to "help out" with the rental? I am waiting for a [white/cin] 35d as well. It was completed a couple weeks ago. We don't need it until the 25th of May, but the dealer said they would provide us with a car if the d didn't come in before that.

Thanks for providing all of the CARB status info.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Coming back to BMW

Mein Auto: soon to be X5
Yesterday, my 35d changed status from in production to in transit to carrier...

I also got an email from the production center inviting me to BMW 101. It could actually work out better for me that way anyway.

At least my car is done!
-phillip
Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Drive like you mean it.

interested,
The dealer did not offer me a loaner or anything, and I have asked a few times. As I mentioned, they offered to get me a 2011 X5 5.0i from another dealer that I could have the same day, but I think it's the wrong car for me. I guess I'll keep waiting. This sucks.

Update - just spoke to the dealer, and at this point, they ARE willing to do something for me with regard to a loaner. I feel a little better. After all, it's not their fault - they can't make the car get here any faster.

Last edited by Malibu Bimmer; 05-12-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Drive like you mean it.

The CARB site shows 'new executive orders added May 12 2010' but it was just some stupid Honda hybrid. Yuck.
False alarm...
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335Xi Coupe'
Quote:
interested,
The dealer did not offer me a loaner or anything, and I have asked a few times. As I mentioned, they offered to get me a 2011 X5 5.0i from another dealer that I could have the same day, but I think it's the wrong car for me. I guess I'll keep waiting. This sucks.

Update - just spoke to the dealer, and at this point, they ARE willing to do something for me with regard to a loaner. I feel a little better. After all, it's not their fault - they can't make the car get here any faster.
Seems like you would be happier long term to get the vehicle you really wanted. If they can alleviate the short-term financial hurt [of the rental], then it becomes just a matter of waiting to open your present. Not ideal, but certainly more tolerable.

Even though it is not their fault, it seems like they would want to "help a brotha out" since they have lots of cars. Not a significant cost to them, and a big good will getter. Heck, if I had an extra car, I'd let you borrow it!

Keep the faith. It will be over soon.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Drive like you mean it.

Thanks. The options list on my car is difficult to duplicate on a standard inventory order -

Comfort Access system
Running boards
Comfort seats with lumbar support
Heated front seats
Dark Bamboo wood trim
3rd row seat
Park Distance Control
Navigation system
BMW Assist
Satellite radio
Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Digital Sound Processing
iPod and USB adapter
Sport Activity Package
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Premium Sound Package
Rear Climate Package
Technology Package

I can hang a few more days if they can drop me in something, anything, that I'm not paying for. There is no point in compromising now, you're right.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Thanks. The options list on my car is difficult to duplicate on a standard inventory order -
Gosh, yours is almost exactly like mine except I have + HUD, +adaptive drive. Oh, and not white/black, I'm doing Platinum Grey/Oyster. I hope its stylin'.