Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Transmission scare and outcome on my 05 x3 with 102k miles..

Hello all,
Went to an acquaintances repair shop for a thumping rattling noise in the front end.
1st - he told me i needed brakes/rotors -1100. dollars. Showed me the pads -ok they were worn out after about 40k.
2nd- He told me my rear coil springs were cracked. - 800.00 He showed me one I imagine was from my vehicle. It was cracked. From the fourms this seems to be a frequent problem.
After both fixes he looked over all the front end components and was led to believe I had a bad rack and pinion which I needed to replace to the tune of 3k.

I was skeptical at this point and wanted a second opinion. I brought the vehicle to The German car shop in Edison New Jersey expecting the worst.
They uncovered the problem being a loose bolt in the aluminum skid plate. 107.00. I drove the car home and all the front end noises are now gone.

My question to the BMW community - after this scare would you be inclined to purchase a 3 year 36k mile auto repair policy from AAA to the tune of $3800.00 which could add up immediately with a transmission failure? I have done all the maintenance myself including oil changes at 10k or 1 year. Replaced the plugs, valve cover gasket. I'm waiting for friendlier weather to do the transmission fluid change. My wife loves how the car drives and we would like to keep it for at least 3 more years.

Thanks All for reading this.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2015, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Transmission scare and outcome on my 05 x3 with 102k miles..

When I bought my 07 X3 with 77k miles it was from a Toyota dealership and I purchased and extended warranty plan for one year for about $1,800.

Personally I didn't regret it one bit. One week after purchasing the transfer case actuator went and the warrant covered the cost. And just last month the transmission failed out of nowhere which they also fully covered. So more than 10k in repairs covered for less than 2k

Long story short that seams like a rather fair price for a warranty as long as they allow you to have it service at the dealership i would take it. Also make sure they cover all the common issues like the actuator, starter, thermostat and water pump.

As long as you do your routine maintenance on time you should avoid major problems. But you can never know with some thing. Hopefully i gave you some useful information.

Last edited by lahiru97; 04-06-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
@102k miles+, needing new rotors doesn't surprise me. I am just about to round 88k, and I have probably 25-30% life left in my rotors. I plan on replacing them at 100k.

Rear springs are a known/common failure on these X3's. $800 to replace springs seems a little high in my opinion. If the shocks/struts were never replaced they were probably blown way before 100k miles. No surprise there. Bad rack and pinion? You mention your wife loves to drive it, and I am sure if you drove it you would notice some sort of pull to either side.

Sounds like you do a lot of the maintenance yourself, so I wouldn't suggest extended warranty.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 04-07-2015, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3, 88 vette, 67 Mstng
I didn't realize you could get an extended warranty for a vehicle with over 100k. Have you checked for a better price?
Old 04-08-2015, 03:11 AM

jdowen2,

That was a quote with AAA after market warranty.

There's also a company called aaauto that offers warranties. My problem is in the fine print, you must keep a log of all your maintenance schedule work which I done mostly myself but I didn't keep all receipts even though I've changed the plugs, oil every 10k, new valve cover gasket and so on. I'm just getting to the transmission fluid which I'll do after I have my transfer case done next week.

Regards.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Nope. Put that $3800 aside in a bank account drawing interest and use it for future repairs.

These are pretty durable cars. If you have made it this far, odds are you are good. Transmission failures are exceedingly rare. Everything pretty much boils down to maintenance.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiVanHalen View Post
Hello all,
Went to an acquaintances repair shop for a thumping rattling noise in the front end.
1st - he told me i needed brakes/rotors -1100. dollars. Showed me the pads -ok they were worn out after about 40k.
2nd- He told me my rear coil springs were cracked. - 800.00 He showed me one I imagine was from my vehicle. It was cracked. From the fourms this seems to be a frequent problem.
After both fixes he looked over all the front end components and was led to believe I had a bad rack and pinion which I needed to replace to the tune of 3k.

I was skeptical at this point and wanted a second opinion. I brought the vehicle to The German car shop in Edison New Jersey expecting the worst.
They uncovered the problem being a loose bolt in the aluminum skid plate. 107.00. I drove the car home and all the front end noises are now gone.

My question to the BMW community - after this scare would you be inclined to purchase a 3 year 36k mile auto repair policy from AAA to the tune of $3800.00 which could add up immediately with a transmission failure? I have done all the maintenance myself including oil changes at 10k or 1 year. Replaced the plugs, valve cover gasket. I'm waiting for friendlier weather to do the transmission fluid change. My wife loves how the car drives and we would like to keep it for at least 3 more years.

Thanks All for reading this.
It really depends what the 3yr 36k mile policy covers? Yes it will probably cover a transmission failure, but will it cover a cooling system water pump failure, which should probably be replaced at 100k anyway and could be considered a maintenance item? What really would it cover that wouldn't be considered a maintenance item?