Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: X3, C230 Sport
Check in: '06 X3 3.0i, 124K miles and going strong

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here; I mostly just browse tech posts and what not. I thought I would drop in and say that after 124k miles, our '06 X3 is still doing great. We bought our X3 used with 40k miles through the BMW CPO program in 2009 and have loved it ever since. We haven't had any major issues, just a couple windscreen washer pumps go out and an instrument cluster lighting issue that was fixed under warranty. The only issue we have as of now is a very slight oil leak from the front passenger side of the oil pan. It's VERY slow and minimal so I'm not going to replace the gasket now...can't do it at home and Indy shop is quoting $1,500 since it's so labor intensive. I might run some 0w30 German Castrol since it's known for helping with slight seal leaks and Mobil1 is know for the exact opposite, from what I hear at least, and also give a very slight turn on the pan bolts in that area to tighten them and see if that helps. Overall, the X3 still rides, sounds, and feels like a new car; it really is amazing how well German cars hold up if you take care of them.

We just do basic maintenance at regular intervals and the car is good to us in return. I change the oil every 7500 miles (I used BMW 5w30 for a while but switched to Mobil1 0w40 at about 75k miles since it's cheap at Wal-Mart and I use it in my Mercedes too so I can buy it in bulk) and I use OEM oil filter kits from the dealer. I changed the trans, front and rear diffs, and transfer case fluids at 75k miles with a high quality trans filter kit and fluids and am changing them again at 125K. I periodically change the power steering and brake fluids and use a Motive Products Black Label European bleeder (WELL worth the money) for the brake bleed. We've only changed brakes once since the dealer changed them at 40k miles when we bought it, but I will say, my wife wanted to save a little money, so against my better judgement, I got Centric rotors and pads....HUGE mistake. One rotor was replaced for warping in the warranty period, but now the others are warped just outside the warranty period...should've gotten the really nice Zimmerman Z coats like I put on my Merc. That was a mistake I won't make twice. Moving on, I flushed and drained the cooling system with distilled water then filled 50/50 distilled water and BMW coolant at 100k miles. I change the engine air filter every 30k miles with either a Napa Gold or Purolator air filter and change the cabin air filter every 50k miles or so. We changed the front struts at 75k or 85k miles because the driver's side strut valving blew out, but the rears are still stock and perfectly fine. The only big preventative maintenance item I haven't done is the timing belt. I really need to do that before we have a major issue. I only use Shell or Chevron fuels and use a bottle of Redline SI-1, B12 Chemtool, Gumout, whichever I choose at the time, before each oil change. I also only run Continental Extreme Contact DWS on the car now, which is also all I put on my Mercedes now; I LOVE these tires and had to put in a good word for them! The last tires we had were Kumho Ecsta 4X, on both the X3 and Merc, and they were terrible! They hydroplaned, wore out VERY quickly (BALD on my Merc at 18K miles--staggered fitment so I can't rotate, 2/32 on the X3 at 25k miles with rotations...and it's a 40k mile treadwear warranty tire), and they sucked in light winter weather.

I have a "spirited" driving style so I'm always around the 4k rpm mark on shifts in both the X3 and my C230 Sport, so the X3 hasn't been putt-putted around town like a sunday drive it's whole life, but I'm also not beating the crap out of it, just a little faster accelerating than most people. I also like to take advantage of it's BMW handling characteristics on occassion. I can say the X3 WILL do 140 mph for sure...more than once..on a closed course

So, just to let everyone know, I stand by the X3 and confidently say it's a good vehicle. It's reliable and hearty; if you take care of it, it will take care of you. The bad news is, we need a bigger vehicle and the new Volvo XC90 is more in our price range than an X5, so in the next year or two we'll be leaving the BMW family, but don't worry, I'll still be a member of the German vehicle family, albeit on the dark side with my Merc lol.
Pocket bikes
I love Mopars
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2014, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 Auto
Good to hear a positive story. Thanks for sharing. You motivated me to take good care of my 08 x3

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
^ Bravo - good to hear.

Refreshing change from posts that are asking for help in solving a problem.

You did mean to say timing chain didn't you? Not too many, if any, BMW (or Mercedes) engines use a timing belt.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: X3, C230 Sport
Thanks for the correction. I didn't know if it was a belt or chain and knew someone would point me in the right direction lol.
Pocket bikes
I love Mopars