Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-15-2015, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: X3
X3 2008 3.0si - Help with code P0012

Hi guys,
I drive X3 2008 3.0si (N52). I need some advice about P0012. The engine light is on (service engine soon, yellow). I used to have several other codes as well (and associated problems such as rough idle, whistling sound, engine vacuum, bad gasoline consumption, etc.) but I have done some work on it and replaced several parts (Vanos solenoids, valve cover, eccentric shaft sensor) which took care of all except for p0012, which sometimes disappears for a short while and reappears again. The only symptom I identify is that the engine revs towards 1.5, perhaps close to 2 momentarily on start up. Other than that the cars runs nicely with no issues (and for few months now). Is it possible that there is a small vacuum leak that triggers the code and light? Perhaps a dirty component? How do I locate where the problem is? I will be happy to give more information if needed. I benefited from the forum greatly in fixing the previous issues.
Many thanks in advance.

H.
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2015, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your thread to the X3 forum, you will get more help in here. If you search around you can find help on this code as well.

Tim
Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
A quick google search shows that your code indicates that your intake camshaft is over-retarded; essentially, your timing is out. This probably happened due to either improper VANOS installation during your valve cover gasket replacement, or failed VANOS solenoids. Check those connections, that they're installed properly, and that the correct plug goes to the correct solenoid. By "revving to 1.5 or 2", are you referring to engine revolutions as per the tach?

By disappearing and reappearing, do you mean the light on the dash, or the code itself after clearing the codes with a scanner? Once registered, the codes will remain in the ECM's memory, even if the light goes off, so you might be seeing residual codes if the light has stayed off.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Thank you for the response. Yes, I was referring to engine revolutions as per the tach and Yes, the check engine light disappears for a short while then comes back. Except for these two issues, everything else seems functioning well. This is the puzzling part: If something was seriously wrong, I assume, the truck would have more pronounced symptoms, no?

Last edited by HorizOnum; 03-16-2015 at 09:15 PM.