Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 328i
License Plate Light Dead Socket

I have a 2004, X3 that has a common problem. The right license plate bulb socket is bad; not the bulb.

I need to replace the entire cargo door handle latch switch that is about $78.00, no big deal. My problem is, I cant seen to get the handle switch out by taking out the two torx screws and prying on it. Last night, I removed the interior trim to see if could access it but didn't work. Is there a way to pry the switch out somehow that I am not aware of or does the exterior trim have to come off; if so does anyone know how the external trim piece is removed? Is the panel held on with just snap fasteners or are there hidden screws. Apparently this is a common problem so somebody out must have dealt with it?

I checked ALLDATA and there is no procedure listed

Thank You
Ads by Google
Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0L auto
Bostongrun - please see my entry under the thread "Rear Hatch Opens for no Reason" on this forum dated 1-09-14. The external trim does have to come off. The switch is is mounted in that trim piece.

Good luck.

Fast Lane
2004 BMW 325xi auto (sold)
2004 BMW X3 3.0L auto (still rockin')