Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-18-2016, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
Vanos solenoids and rough running

2008 x3 n52. Approximately 80k miles. Slushbox

A month or so ago I replaced both Vanos solenoids and both check valves because I got a 2a87 code and figured I'd just replace everything while I was in there.

Car ran great until last week.
Sequence of events:

I changed the oil and filter. Checked everything twice to be certain that the filter was installed properly, oil drain plug seated properly, etc.,...

The next day after driving for a little over an hour I noticed the car starting to run a bit rough at low Rpms. Pulled my c310 out of the glovebox while driving and it came back with code 2a82 which is intake vanos mechanism (solenoid).

Drove home. Swapped solenoids and the code moved over to the exhaust side (2a87). Which led me to believe that one of the brand new oe BMW solenoids was crap.

Went on Amazon and ordered a $45 solenoid because I didn't want to pay $150 every couple of weeks for oe stuff that is apparently prone to failure.

Installed it to replace the bad solenoid two days ago.

Today as I was driving it started to feel SLIGHTLY rough to me. So I scanned it again and now it's throwing 2a82 (intake vanos)!!!

Logic dictates that I can't possible have gotten two bad vanos solenoids from BMW. Right?!? There has to be some other issue somewhere in the system causing these faults to show up.

I'm about to take it to a shop and let them have at it but since the codes seem to pop up soradically they'll probably just charge me $$$ to replace the solenoids only to have them fail again two days after I pick the car up from them.

Please help!!!

I have searched and the possibilities seem to be:
1. Grubby connections (but I cleaned them with de-Oxit during the first change)
2. TWO brand new yet faulty BMW solenoids
3. Bad or dirty eccentric cam sensor (ugh. That's virtually replacing the entire valve cover and gasket)
4. Much worse....

Why are engines getting so insanely complex to the point where they are virtually disposable?!? Yes. I know why. Miles per gallon.

Last edited by Q4; 08-18-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Hmmmm..... The plot thickens. Or thins....

Took the engine cover off today (going to leave it off for a while to make it easier to check things). There was an oil film residue spreading out from the eccentric shaft sensor/seal. Unplugged the sensor and saw a little tiny bit of pooled oil resting in the plug well. Cleaned it out with some 91% alcohol soaked q-tips followed by some dry q-tips. Also sprayed out the female plug. Let everything dry out for an hour or so while I poked around the rest of the engine. I also wiped off the eccentric shaft seal with a rag as best I could but it'll be replaced soon anyway.

Pulled out one ignition coil and the plug well was spotless. Actually the entire perimeter of the valve cover is sparkling clean.

Plugged the eccentric shaft sensor back in. Took the car for a drive for an hour. Slow/fast/uphills/downhills/etc.,...

Actually it might have been quite a bit longer than an hour. Popped in some pink Floyd and zoned out.

Not a single code popped up the entire time. Which is good because previously I was getting the vanos solenoid code after about 10 minutes of driving.

I will be replacing the eccentric shaft seal but hopefully this solves my vanos codes issue.

If it doesn't next step would be to replace the eccentric shaft sensor and if that doesn't work I would check the bearing ledges. DO NOT want to go there.....

Old 08-21-2016, 12:26 PM

Intake vanos popped up again today.

I swapped vanos solenoids again, cleared the code and took it for a drive.

And an exhaust vanos code popped up.

At this point either BOTH oem BMW vanos solenoids I bought a month ago have failed and the stupid cheap Amazon vanos solenoid I bought is good OR the eccentric shaft sensor is crapping out. However the codes keep following the oem BMW vanos solenoids.

So I ordered another stupid cheap aftermarket vanos solenoid. I doubt it but maybe this will solve the issue.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
VANOS check valve filters - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=897865

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...-zU0n_HQ---GRA

http://www.bimmerfest.com/searchresu...703j2421719j13

Last edited by swampX3; 08-21-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:17 PM

Thanks swampx3

I installed new oil check valve/filters a month ago.

I might pull them out and check them tomorrow but unless something nasty was dislodged in my oiling system and clogged them up suddenly a week ago I don't know how they could be causing codes that jump from one vanos solenoid to the other.

This started a month ago which is why I installed two new solenoids and two new check valves.

The odd thing is that it seemed fine until a last week.... A day after I changed the oil which is when the codes started appearing.

My first oil change with this car was at 77k miles using liquimoly 5w30 from bavauto.

The second oil change (last week) was at 80,600 miles using BMW turbo power whatever 5w30. Yes. That is too few miles to warrant an oil change but since the car is newish to me I wanted to to a short interval for the first oil change.

Last edited by Q4; 08-21-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:57 PM

any deeper DME codes pop up ????

do you have DIS57or Rheingold that will read the DME in depth ????

example below

also ....there are instances of an oil change messing up the vanos

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
View My Garage
I changed out both vanos solenoids out at 150K. They were really dirty. I had a rough idle when cold and I also changed out plugs and O2 sensors. It turned out to a bad computer but at least I have peace of mind about the other parts.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:24 PM

Unfortunately yes and no.
I had bought a copy of dis V57 (along with inpa/ediabas and the lot) and have them running on a spare win7 laptop using a virtual winxp environment but after spending a week farting around with it trying to get it to work I found out that for some reason the 2008 and newer x3s won't work with disV57

Old 08-21-2016, 03:38 PM

download Rheingold from his link

rheingold will have your X

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&goto=newpost
Old 08-21-2016, 05:08 PM

Oh dear god! What have you done! It's going to take me a week to read through that thread to even figure out what this rheingold is, how to use it and what these mysterious posts asking for links are!!!!

Old 08-21-2016, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4 View Post
Oh dear god! What have you done! It's going to take me a week to read through that thread to even figure out what this rheingold is, how to use it and what these mysterious posts asking for links are!!!!
I feel for you, Q4. It's like you're at the 25th mile of a marathon - that last 1.2 miles is the toughest
Old 08-21-2016, 05:59 PM

fear not !

rheingold is DIS/INPA/progman etc etc and all previous softwares in a nice new can !

or ... in compu speak ...a new jacket !

nice graphics/layouts etc .......also runs native in windows

yaggottawanna get some rheingold and open the door to all codes/tech info/drawings/job steps/resets/programming/activations etc etc....a whole new world and huge DIY helper

just get the kids to load it for y'all !
Old 08-21-2016, 06:02 PM

bed time study ....rheingold

its from someplace near the Rhine and its golden !

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 PM

Ooo! On the rheingold site they offer a complete package with a tablet for $800. Completely self contained and no crappy emulator software that never works right and brings you to the brink of throwing your laptop across the garage in anger.

Do you know if it is capable of resetting the transfer case and transmission adaptations?

That thread you linked to made it seem like people were being given links to download the rheingold program for free. I haven't read through it just yet. Will do that tomorrow. Still trying to calm down from almost throwing my laptop across the garage. Haha

Old 08-21-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
I feel for you, Q4. It's like you're at the 25th mile of a marathon - that last 1.2 miles is the toughest
Hah! Sorta.

I feel like I haven't even started the marathon yet and don't understand the difference between running shoes and hiking boots.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:37 PM

Hmmm.... Doing some research into rheingold and it appears to be all of the dealer software (haha, just like you said right up there!). Seems rather and relatively inexpensive for that.

Thank you for introducing me to this brand new hellhole of information swamp!!

Old 08-21-2016, 07:22 PM

try the free download on your laptop first

best try the Rheingold download for free first ....there are several sites that will charge you for the same stuff and some that have it loaded on laptops/tablet type devices/usb sticks etc ....they are nothing to do with bmw

also ...it can easily reset/program/code anything on your X

Last edited by swampX3; 08-21-2016 at 07:23 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search