Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-17-2015, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: X3
F25 headlights on E83?

Does anyone know if I could retrofit F25 headlights to work on my '04 E83? Saw a wrecked one in a local yard.

Thanks,
Chris
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
It's not gonna fit. The only thing those two cars have in common is the badge on the back.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the information.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Why
Old 01-19-2015, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M3
OP, I recall hearing once that you can drop any engine into any car as long as it's cushioned buy a sufficient amount of money. This, IMO is one of those situations. Could you make it fit? Perhaps. The electrical connectors *might* be the same, but then it's going to look like a beat up body kit on a 98 civic sans several body panels. It just won't fit.

What are you looking for? The angel eyes? There are kits for those.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Wiring is going to be the easy bit. Reworking the mounts, the interference items in the engine bay, the bumper and the bonnet then having the nose if the car repainted would be the definition of 'not fitting'. You'd have as much luck with lamps from every other car BMW makes.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 PM

Just trying to determine if it is time to trade in the E83, little things like Bluetooth streaming, heated seats, and I know it is stupid but the "angel eyes" do have an appeal. Trying to see if it is worth it to add those things to my E83 or just trade it in on a 2011+ F25.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desslok View Post
Just trying to determine if it is time to trade in the E83, little things like Bluetooth streaming, heated seats, and I know it is stupid but the "angel eyes" do have an appeal. Trying to see if it is worth it to add those things to my E83 or just trade it in on a 2011+ F25.
Well as far as the angle eyes go I recently installed a kit from Unmitza and had an amazing result, I have a thread with an DIY if you what.

For the Bluetooth streaming you could simply change the headunit for one with that features. Or get a device such as a Dension. ( I am currently looking in to this my self)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahiru97 View Post
Well as far as the angle eyes go I recently installed a kit from Unmitza and had an amazing result, I have a thread with an DIY if you what.

For the Bluetooth streaming you could simply change the headunit for one with that features. Or get a device such as a Dension. ( I am currently looking in to this my self)
I just added the Dension Gateway Lite BT (GBL3BM4) to my 2007 X3 (Business CD and OEM phone). It's working great, but I didn't like that the Dension pairs your phone for both music streaming and handsfree calling, so it was sort of taking over my OEM phone install (and wouldn't show the caller ID info). I ended up having Dension send me a config file that let me disable the handsfree profile so I can stream music, and when a call comes in, the OEM unit picks it up, and when I hang up everything goes right back as it was. Plus it also gives me a USB port for playing music from a flash drive. And the steering wheel controls all the inputs (iPone, USB and BT).

As a word of caution, even though the Gateway Lite BT and iGateway devices say they can support text in the radio, just don't enable it. It takes over your radio and breaks some things, and in the case of the GW Lite BT, I couldn't undo the text feature and Dension had to send me a config file to remove it.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:01 PM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I wish the denison was A2DP only and had no hands free. I want to keep the OEM hands free but just add A2DP.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
I wish the denison was A2DP only and had no hands free. I want to keep the OEM hands free but just add A2DP.
This can be done if you ask Dension. I have the config file for the GWBL3BM4 to disable the handsfree profile and leave just the A2DP in place should you need it. Feel free to ping me and I can send out. I'm also going to send them to Christian at Enfig Car Stereo since he has been asking for them from Dension for a while.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
It's a little pricey but a USA-Spec with a Tune2Air plugged into it works fantastic! Both OE BT and Tune2Air are connected at the same time and switches between them seamlessly. No music displayed on the HU but I use SIRI most of the time to pick music anyway. Siri uses the mic on the car and everything plays through the stereo speakers. Music pauses when you're on the phone and resumes when you hang up. Turn by turn directions play through the speakers with music still playing at a reduced volume in the background. Plus you can skip forward and back through head unit/steering wheel and the music pauses when you turn off the stereo or shut the car off and resumes where you left off. I got the idea here. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...-solution.html

Wasn't sure if it would work with aftermarket iPod integration but took a chance anyway. Had to set my USA-Spec to "direct mode". Works perfectly!

Last edited by R ODonnell; 01-23-2015 at 07:34 AM. Reason: add link and info
Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 93 325 S52, 07 X3
For bluetooth, go to CableJive.com. They have a bluetooth setup.