Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
X3 E83 2.5 check engine light won't comes off

hi, greetings from here Indonesia
i had a problem with my x3. the engine are vibrating at cold engine temperature followed with check engine light turned on. but right after 10 seconds or so the vibrate disappear. i took it to the dealer and they change the coils (#2, #5, #6). But, the problem still there, so I took it to a local workshop, it read there is misfire on cylinder #3 and #6. changes both of the faulty coil, the check engine light comes on again after a day. took it again to the workshop, change all of the sparks plug, and after a day, the check engine light reappear and the vibration are still there

any suggestion what should i check besides of the coil and the sparks plug? any help would really appreciated. sorry for my bad english tho

cheers
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2017, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw++many
good to get a low cost code reader scanner

>start with a low cost scanner/code reader ....you can get for your cell phone or download a great one to your laptop .....this will make it much easier to diagnose problems

>here is a link to an overview of what's available

>best wishes.....start at post 7 and fan out

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post9972460

Last edited by swampX3; 03-06-2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-06-2017, 07:02 AM

do a simple smoke test

>follow this thread about a vacuum leak and do a simple smoke test to check your intake etc system...the wrong air/fuel mixture can make the engine shake/vibrate

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5#post10064185
Old 03-06-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
>start with a low cost scanner/code reader ....you can get for your cell phone or download a great one to your laptop .....this will make it much easier to diagnose problems

>here is a link to an overview of what's available

>best wishes.....start at post 7 and fan out

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post9972460
Quote:
>follow this thread about a vacuum leak and do a simple smoke test to check your intake etc system...the wrong air/fuel mixture can make the engine shake/vibrate

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5#post10064185
thank you for your reply swampX3, but, I have already took it again to the local workshop and ask them to check the ccv and intake systme. by the way these are the following codes that shows up: 002744, 002745, 00274E, 002882, 002883
Old 03-07-2017, 07:07 AM

very likely all lean code issues

>a good prima on what to look for ....the lower cost generic scanners/code readers show what he says ....0171 and 4 ....BUT the bmw/better scanners show your other numbers too

>best get your own setup for reading codes/scanning ....then ....just google the codes ....tons of info available

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by swampX3; 03-07-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
>a good prima on what to look for ....the lower cost generic scanners/code readers show what he says ....0171 and 4 ....BUT the bmw/better scanners show your other numbers too

>best get your own setup for reading codes/scanning ....then ....just google the codes ....tons of info available

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Hi swampX3. I have ordered any required things to have my own code reader setup. Uh, by the way, I have check the vacuum system and do the smoke test, and I can't see any leak, the mechanic have suspicion on the throttle valve, is that possible? I've clean the MAF sensor, check the oxygen sensor. Any other suggestion what should i check?

Sent from my LG-H818 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-10-2017, 06:08 AM

did you follow this ???

>using fuel trims for 0171 and 4

a good method...this is in a saloon but basically the same setup as the older E83 X3's

Old 03-10-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
>using fuel trims for 0171 and 4

a good method...this is in a saloon but basically the same setup as the older E83 X3's

Okay, will check for the fuel trim, hope its end it all! I'll let you know the update

Sent from my LG-H818 using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
e83 x3, ses light, vibration at idle, x3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search