Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
and have a cable tie ready to secure the airbag module to the door frame when it is unbolted ;-)

then you will not drop it.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderland View Post
Evlengr, for the speaker install.... how badly do you have to knock on the airbag to damage it? I'm one of the clumsiest guys in the world and I'm freaking out about ruining the airbag in any way. also i don't want the airbag to deploy with my face at point blank
Disconnect the battery like Evl said and wait at least 60 seconds. The reality is that the airbag ECU needs multiple inputs before it fires the inflators--so the likelihood of it just firing on it's own, outside of an electrical short, are very slim. I too did not disconnect the wiring harness from the airbag itself--there is too much risk of damaging that connector if you don't disconnect it properly, then you're really in a bind. There is enough slack in the harness that you can maneuver the airbag with it connected.

I used cable ties to secure the airbag to the two remaining harnesses in the door, but you need to make sure you don't puncture the paper on the firing side of the airbag. Just take your time and you'll be fine. To my surprise, disassembling the X3 doors was much easier than I thought. I also purchased replacement door clips, since I figured that would help tighten things up on re-installation of the panels.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: x3
What about the coding? Will it be lost if the battery is disconnected?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: E83 X3 3.0d M Sport
Recently bought a Response Monoblock to try get a little more out of this Rainbow Hammer 10".
It sounds noticable better, but the cabin size of the X3, coupled with the small woofer & enclosure are just too much for it...
I think it's time to go for a 12" Hertz HX300, also in a small 1 cu ft sealed enclosure.
I'll update you guys when I get it built & installed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1497.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	326581  
Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
no Worries

Quote:
What about the coding? Will it be lost if the battery is disconnected?
I know you are concerned, but you sweating this wayyyyy too much. BMW has everyone so afraid to make any changes its amazing.

Wish you were close by. I can have a pair of speakers in and out of an X3 in 30 minutes. It really is that easy.

Read the info we have provided. Get all necessary tools and connectors. Don't rush anything as this is the first time you have done it.

Key things to remember:

Torx screwdrivers
Nylon or Glass based pry tools (start from inside bottom wood veneer)
Don't tear the vapor barrier. pretty hard to do unless you are spaz..but it happens.
Once you get the tabs free on the door pull from bottom section and then straight out. Replace from top and then push straight on...the whole panel at once.
I like to place a light colored mat (I use a clean white drop cloth) under the door when it is open in case any little tabs or screws fall.

No coding will be lost. The 4x4 and airbag light WILL come on the first time you start your X3. It typically clears itself after about 15-20 or the next time you restart your X3.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 PM

Actually I do live pretty close to the dc area, but I like to make sure I know everything that could happen before I do anything
I'm somewhat of a paranoid parrot
Old 05-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Sent you a PM Murderland
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 05-27-2012, 04:25 AM

Thumbs up Great Price

Just a heads up.

This company (Pacific Stereo) has the Alpine SPS-400 on sale for $44.95 a pair. Last years model ,but still a great speaker (that fits very well in our X3's).

http://pacificstereo.com/brands/alpi...-speakers.html

And my favorite amp as well.

This is an unreal price ($375.00) for a phenomenal amp. It is extremely small, a class D amp (stays very cool), specs are great. This is my must have recommendation for an easy but excellent install for our X3. One amp can deliver sound to all four doors and has a mono for the subs. Can't make it any easier for us.

http://pacificstereo.com/car-audio/c...ine-pdx-5.html

Cheers, EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 05-27-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
I've been following the posts in this great sticky on improving the x3 sound system. I've upgraded four doors' speakers to Alpine 410 since then, what a big improvement!

Now I'm comtemplating to add a 5-channel amp to power the door speakers and a 10" sub in the back. I'd like to get a reverse harness connector to bypass the factory amp without cutting/tapping the original wiring. Where can I find such a connector?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2012, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperArrow View Post
I'd like to get a reverse harness connector to bypass the factory amp without cutting/tapping the original wiring. Where can I find such a connector?

Thanks!
I'd like to know was well. Unfortunately, I'm not hopeful something like that is available. If you could manage to get the connector part number--as in the Tyco/Amp part number of the amp side of the connector, I'm sure you could find it on the internet. They are off the shelf parts and probably readily available and you could build your own harness.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=42

actually this link and after searchign for about an hour it lead me back to bimmerfest

this guy sells custom harnesses

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...152&highlight=

Technic guy dude

*edit for like the 5th time*
actually i dunno if its the same connector but it does look similar

*edit*

this is the image of the amplifier plug on the factory hifi amp i got off of ebay

*edit*
wiring info for the x3 connector, it matches up with the missing pins on technic's connector
http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zinfo/E83_PA18A.htm

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zinfo/E83_SX10266A.htm
i dunno, i'm still looking for more info. Maybe Evlengr knows more about this guy

*final edit*

talked to technic, he confirmed that it should work in place of the oem after 1999.
heres the link again: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...152&highlight=

Last edited by murderland; 06-03-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
talked to technic, he confirmed that it should work in place of the oem after 1999.
heres the link again: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...152&highlight=
Thanks for all your research, Murderland. I emailed Technic and got the same answer.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperArrow View Post
Thanks for all your research, Murderland. I emailed Technic and got the same answer.

Thanks!
np dude, i've gotten so much info from this thread... it's time i give something back
Old 06-06-2012, 07:15 AM
AWD/6MT Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to GeoffS
Mein Auto: 2k8 X3 3.0si/2k3 330xi
How would you go about installing a Alpine PDX-5 in an X3 that has a crossover for the fronts? When I picked up my Bavarian Soundwerks setup, the back connected right up, but evidently they'd never seen an X3 that had separate connectors up front for the tweeters and the mid-range. They said that they'd have to keep that in mind for their new amplifier design. If I could figure out how to easily put one of these into my X3, I'd probably be very happy.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 PM

i'm surprised no one has replied.
I'm no expert but I assume you'd wire the front left and right inputs into channel 1 & 2 and the rear left and right inputs into 3 & 4. And i guess use a splitter to input sound into the sub channel. Channel 1, 2, 3, 4 should use the high pass filter and the sub channel the low pass filter.

I actually have little knowledge on how to do this, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffS View Post
How would you go about installing a Alpine PDX-5 in an X3 that has a crossover for the fronts? When I picked up my Bavarian Soundwerks setup, the back connected right up, but evidently they'd never seen an X3 that had separate connectors up front for the tweeters and the mid-range. They said that they'd have to keep that in mind for their new amplifier design. If I could figure out how to easily put one of these into my X3, I'd probably be very happy.
Geoff,

I can help with this but I am in the middle of selling/buying a house this week. Give me til Sunday and I'll walk you through it. Excellent amp. One of my favorites. If you havent already bought it check pacific stereo they were selling it the other week under $400.00

EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 PM
AWD/6MT Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Geoff,

I can help with this but I am in the middle of selling/buying a house this week. Give me til Sunday and I'll walk you through it. Excellent amp. One of my favorites. If you havent already bought it check pacific stereo they were selling it the other week under $400.00

EE
No real hurry. Have you run into an X3 that has a crossover running to the fronts, for some reason? It confused BavAuto.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM
AWD/6MT Nut

One more thing of note. I've got the factory bluetooth option, and evidently, without the tweeters plugged in, I get no sound whatsoever from it. The BSW speakers are designed to plug into one connection and have a built-in crossover to connect the tweeter directly. In order to keep the factory bluetooth working, I had to bypass the built-in crossover and connect the tweeters directly to the tweeter cables, and midrange to the old midrange connectors. The factory crossover is less than ideal for the BSWs, but I'm not really sure if there's a way to work around that.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 6-Speed, 98 Z3 M
I have the BMW business class set up in my '04, no CD cassette in the armrest. How do I know if i have 8 or 10. 2 in each front door (4), 2 under each front seat (6), and 2 more in the rear(8).Am i missing 2 others? And can anyone tell me every torx size ill need for this job? Im trying to save $ and do it myself.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedFasterX3 View Post
I have the BMW business class set up in my '04, no CD cassette in the armrest. How do I know if i have 8 or 10. 2 in each front door (4), 2 under each front seat (6), and 2 more in the rear(8).Am i missing 2 others? And can anyone tell me every torx size ill need for this job? Im trying to save $ and do it myself.
Given the age and description I suspect you will have a simple speaker setup aka "business CD". Single cone speakers in the four doors and an 8 inch or 6 inch under the front seats. With respect to under the seats: the trend appears to be in Australia = 6 inch speaker in the 8 inch housing while in the USA = 8 inch under the seat.

But you might have to search here:

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e83.../Sound_output/

ie depending on build date you may not have any rear door speakers?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 PM

N. American base sound systems have component tweeters in the front doors, single mid-range speakers in the rear doors, for a grand total of 8 with the subs.

The optional N. American sound system adds component tweeters in the rear doors for 10 (and an upgraded amp. in the trunk, same head unit).

Don't think there was any difference between '04-'06 and "07-on models in this respect.

The CD changer was a standalone option independent of having base or upgraded sound system, I believe.

Of course, for those with a newly acquired E83, a previous owner may have had made speaker changes which you may not be aware of until you take door panels off.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3 3.0, 2002 325i
Thanks for the thread. Installed Alpine 410's - what a difference over the factory radios. For those watching the video, an 05 (manufactured Aug 04) X3 had more bolts for the airbags and an additional Torx-20 bolt behind the door handle (covered by a plastic disc).
Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
I posted the following question in another thread but no one replied. I am hoping you can give me some insight as to if/how I can replace the Business CD in my 2004 X3.

The in-dash CD player is dead on my stock stereo. I am considering an aftermarket head unit. I have been getting conflicting advise from the installers.

For starters. My Business CD has DSP. I don't know why that makes a difference if it's being replaced, but to some installers I've spoken with seem to think it does. Because of this, some of the installers are telling me that all of the stock amplifiers in the system need to be removed and/or replaced. Yet, others are saying they can reuse the stock amps and all I need is the standard wiring harness and faceplate mount.

I don't know enough about this stuff to know who to believe. It figured I would just find a nice unit, buy the same Scosche install kit and then get the deed done myself. I'm looking more for functionality than achieving the end-all audio nirvana. I just need bluetooth, aux in, usb, iPod controls and CD player. my X3 has steering wheel controls, and have noticed that all of the stereos I am considering will utilize these if I purchase the correct adapter so this shouldn't be an issue.

Any/All insight anyone can share with me regarding whether or not the amps can be reused or need replacing is appreciated. I have a feeling that I'm getting smoke blown up my @ss by the installers/salesmen so they can just sell me more stuff.

Peace.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty_Russ View Post
I posted the following question in another thread but no one replied. I am hoping you can give me some insight as to if/how I can replace the Business CD in my 2004 X3.

The in-dash CD player is dead on my stock stereo. I am considering an aftermarket head unit. I have been getting conflicting advise from the installers.

For starters. My Business CD has DSP. I don't know why that makes a difference if it's being replaced, but to some installers I've spoken with seem to think it does. Because of this, some of the installers are telling me that all of the stock amplifiers in the system need to be removed and/or replaced. Yet, others are saying they can reuse the stock amps and all I need is the standard wiring harness and faceplate mount.

I don't know enough about this stuff to know who to believe. It figured I would just find a nice unit, buy the same Scosche install kit and then get the deed done myself. I'm looking more for functionality than achieving the end-all audio nirvana. I just need bluetooth, aux in, usb, iPod controls and CD player. my X3 has steering wheel controls, and have noticed that all of the stereos I am considering will utilize these if I purchase the correct adapter so this shouldn't be an issue.

Any/All insight anyone can share with me regarding whether or not the amps can be reused or need replacing is appreciated. I have a feeling that I'm getting smoke blown up my @ss by the installers/salesmen so they can just sell me more stuff.

Peace.
If you have DSP I'm pretty sure you have the Premium sound system (at least that's how it is in my 2009). I'm also fairly certain you cannot use an aftermarket stereo with a factory AMP.

These guys http://www.musicarnw.com/ have posted here in the past and can almost certainly answer your question.

Edit: I researched their site and found this for you: http://www.musicarnw.com/oe-interface/

I can tell you that I have not used the CD player in my X3 since I bought it new 4 years ago as I've always had an iPod adapter in it. There are several companies that make them. One that is not loaded with features but seems to work flawlessly is the USASpec:

http://www.amazon.com/USASPEC-PA12-B...xp_grid_pt_2_2

Last edited by usaret; 08-18-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Add Link
Old 08-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty_Russ View Post
..... My Business CD has DSP. I don't know why that makes a difference if it's being replaced, but to some installers I've spoken with seem to think it does.
Interaction between the head unit and the amplifier is fairly standard for the base system.

For the DSP option, there seems to be some dependencies between the two that at the very least have to be accounted for by some customization or extra pieces.
So both sets of advice you are getting are somewhat correct.

I have pieced the following explanation together from a few earlier (2005) threads in this forum:

HiFi audio system (base in N. America, $400 upgrade in Europe)
8 speaker (component tweeters in front doors)
The HiFi audio system features a 6-channel Carver amplifier (analog) that is connected directly to the 4 speaker outputs of the radio.
This amplifier is a modified version of the 10 channel HiFi amplifier from the E85 (Z4) and E46 (3 Series).
Output is 4x25 watts for the mid-range and high ranges and 2x40 watts for the low frequency.
The loudspeakers are connected to the 6 amplifier output channels.
The 2" tweeters are protected from overload by passive frequency gates (capacitors) in the supply lead and connected in parallel to the 4" speakers.
All sound controlling functions such as volume, bass, treble, fader and GAL (speed-sensitive volume control) etc. are formed in the radio.

Premium/DSP audio system
10 speaker (addition of tweeters in rear doors)
The premium audio system features a 10 channel Carver amplifier with digital signal processor technology for sound control.
The amplifier is controlled via the two radio analogue audio signals.
The amplifier features a digital input for the CD changer.
The digital input is only used for the BMW Business CD radio and CD changer combination.
The 10 loudspeakers are directly connected to the 10 output channels of the amplifier.
The amplifier delivers 6x20 watts , 2x40 watts, and 2x100 watts.
The active frequency gates for adaptation of the loudspeakers are built into the amplifier.
Depending on the radio, various functions can be called up.
Sound control functions such as volume, bass, treble, fader, GAL, spatial sound simulation etc. are formed in the upgraded amplifier.
The 7 band graphic equalizer can only be used in connection with this upgraded Business CD radio.
The digital connection between this amplifier and the CD changer is an SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface).

I think the above is largely correct. Opinions?
Sort of understand it and can see why changing the head unit in a DSP system may not be plug & play.
Even with the base system, some extra pieces may be needed to get the best performance from a replacement head unit.

(With Evl contemplating a jump into the Audi zone, we had better document this sort of info. carefully.
I know some of it has been covered already, but not the impact of how the DSP sound system models an equalizer.)