Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 10-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
...drivers who drive with DSC on "because I am so smooth and DSC doesn't kick in when I am smooth."

Old 10-04-2004, 02:06 AM

Mein Auto: E46 USTCC, E30 M3 JS
Haha, I always tell myself that I am going to leave the DSC on for the first 2 laps when I go out on the track since I only do about 3 events a year, but I usually end up turning it off after the first turn of my second lap. At California speedway I had to turn it off after coming out of the pits up onto the oval. It was lighting up (and I was going 70 MPH) like a freakin christmas tree. The DSC in the E46 M3 is way way too intrusive.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Donkeybike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strom
Haha, I always tell myself that I am going to leave the DSC on for the first 2 laps when I go out on the track since I only do about 3 events a year, but I usually end up turning it off after the first turn of my second lap. At California speedway I had to turn it off after coming out of the pits up onto the oval. It was lighting up (and I was going 70 MPH) like a freakin christmas tree. The DSC in the E46 M3 is way way too intrusive.
That's a straightaway! Oh... yeah... the M3 has about 150+ HP on me...
Old 10-04-2004, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK
That's a straightaway! Oh... yeah... the M3 has about 150+ HP on me...
haha no, I was referring to turn 1 and 2. I guess the severe angle of banking had the DSC confused. Anyone else with an E46 M3 have this problem?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
haha no, I was referring to turn 1 and 2. I guess the severe angle of banking had the DSC confused. Anyone else with an E46 M3 have this problem?
What's DSC?

Never used it, never will.
88 325is Black/Cinnamon 5 speed
Old 10-05-2004, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
What's DSC?

Never used it, never will.
Well duh! you are taking an 88 325 to the next event, DSC stands for Damn Slow Car on that beast
Old 10-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Donkeybike?

Quote:
Oh yeah... turn 1 and 2....

The times I left DSC on, at this part of the track, it was going nuts on the front two tires. It felt like there was a gremlin under the hood... hitting each control arm with a hammer. I turned it off.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:48 PM

I have found what can only be called a "cache" of horrible driving videos. So lets start with a nice long one the shows just how bad this guy is. Its at the Streets of Willow and I think he is driving an integra or something close. Some of the funnier moments I thought (besides the bling driving down the straights) was him playing music while driving...I think its Snoop Dogg, and saying "im gonna catch you, I got you!" to the Miata in front of him.

Truly horrible driving

Streets of Willow
Old 10-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Format c:\*.* /y

Mein Auto: '01 330i
Holy crap that was horrid! He looks like he's riding a bicycle the way he leans over in the turns, I don't think he ever took the same line twice, he's busy throwing signs on the straightaways, He appears to apex at random, he focuses on the car in front of him so much that he practically goes off track to follow them, and his music sucks. Simply unbelievable...
Old 10-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Poseur

Mein Auto: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent
Holy crap that was horrid! He looks like he's riding a bicycle the way he leans over in the turns, I don't think he ever took the same line twice, he's busy throwing signs on the straightaways, He appears to apex at random, he focuses on the car in front of him so much that he practically goes off track to follow them, and his music sucks. Simply unbelievable...
The worst part is that the organization that organized the track rental "Redline Track Events" is using that as a video to promote their business.

Makes me want to go do an event with them...
Old 10-25-2004, 01:31 PM

Yeah, I have a group of friends that want to do a track event with them because its cheap. After I saw that video there is no way in hell im going with that organization.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:45 AM
Poseur

Mein Auto: Too many
Quote:
Yeah, I have a group of friends that want to do a track event with them because its cheap. After I saw that video there is no way in hell im going with that organization.

I e-mailed them. Response:

"Hi John,

I appreciate your comments. Let me clarify a few things though. The person driving is trying different driving lines, and while it may seem that he's all over the track, he's just experimenting and finding what line is the fastest. He's an advance driver and when you want to go faster you tend to try different lines.

Also, he's having some fun. He's not out to break any records and while the music may seem loud, he doesn't really hear a thing. The camera is next to the speaker and it seems louder than it is. Also, he's not giving peace signs, he's waiving to the flaggers to let them know he sees them, and because he's trying different lines, he's sliding a bit, and he wants the flagger to know he's aware of what's happening. As well as giving a little "thank you" waive to people that let him pass. His comments were things like, "I finally caught up to you now" were him talking himself, but that doesn't really bother me. I think it's kind of funny. I didn't realize that it seemed like a dangerous display of driving. If I felt that it was in any way a problem, then I wouldn't show the video. That guy is a good driver and has never caused any incidents on the track before. He ran a 1.29xxx at the streets that day, and I think he's a good instructor as well. I guess you can't really tell by the video. The only reason I put it up is because you can hear the music and he's talking to himself and I thought there was a bit of humor to it.

Also, we are very safety conscious at our events. We have the fewest incidents of any track event organization in California, and we run about one event a month for the last 4 years. Our record for safety is outstanding and we do our best to run good clean safe events. We take safety very seriously.

Thanks again for your comments, I may take down the video so people don't
misunderstand what's going on.

Thanks,
Chris Willard
www.RedlineTrackEvents.com

P.S. That's me driving a stock S 2000 and I don't take any insult. I guess I've driven that track so much that I know every turn and I'm just trying to have some fun with it. I can probably make lunch and drive that track at the same time, so don't take it the wrong way, it's all business when it comes to driving on a race track. "
Old 03-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Donkeybike?

Civic Crash
Old 03-12-2005, 06:12 AM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
Here's one... don't know how much to learn, but it's dramatic!

http://www.bofunk.com/readmore.php?news_id=366
Old 03-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Waiting for Avatar

Mein Auto: Evo IX
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdave

Oh look there's a road to the left of us... should I take it? Nah...

Seriously though I'm amazed how the passenger (presumably the instructor) was all business like immediately after the crash. Don't sound panic striken at all.
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX (Electric Blue)
Old 03-16-2005, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: 09 M3 DCT/04 GT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdave

Can't tell for sure, but looked like there might have been more run off room straight ahead.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: 93 suckbaron
That "Calder Park" video gives me the screaming heebie jeebies on the one hand, but on the other.. sometimes I feel like that's exactly what's happening when I drive to the 7-11 here in town.

More to the point, this is indeed an educational thread.. and I just want notifications when new stuff is posted.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Raumfunktionales!

Mein Auto: E39 Überwagen
Understeer?

I haven't seen anything on this thread for a while so here's something to keep it going until we get more track videos. For those who haven't seen this here's what happens when a big heavy car tries to follow a smaller lighter car through a 90 degree turn without slowing down enough before turning in.

-E

http://videos.car-videos.com/crashes...ll_150kbps.wmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchIt
Can we get a clip of the week going? Possibly one where someone was on the track/auto-x and did something very right, or wrong in a difficult situation and either saved the car or crashed. That way we can discuss it and learn from it. There is a clip right now on the off-topic board that shows someone crashing their E36. I thought maybe we could start with it.

Maybe we can make it a sticky, and each week change it to a different video.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:46 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo540iT
I haven't seen anything on this thread for a while so here's something to keep it going until we get more track videos. For those who haven't seen this here's what happens when a big heavy car tries to follow a smaller lighter car through a 90 degree turn without slowing down enough before turning in.

-E

http://videos.car-videos.com/crashes...ll_150kbps.wmv

I'm sure that one is probably gonna make its way into some EVOC training material on what NOT to do....

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 10-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Format c:\*.* /y

Mein Auto: '01 330i
While this isn't on the track, it's a great example of why not to apply the brakes in a corner...

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...s/wrxcrash.wmv
Old 10-03-2005, 05:38 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
While this isn't on the track, it's a great example of why not to apply the brakes in a corner...

ouch.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 10-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
Quote:
That wing must be defective. Worth at least 0.001g

Last edited by ObD; 10-03-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M
Reinforces my belief that open track days (as opposed to DEs..) are to be avoided unless your car is disposable.

Quote:

Also a reason why "fast" driving should be kept on track. I presume he hit the brakes because he saw the motorcycle, but maybe he didnt. What if the motorcycle was 2 seconds behind from where it was?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
BMW M6 in the wet last weekend

http://www.brannfors.com/~erik/video...1002_small.wmv
Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlance
Long video, am I looking for one point in particular?