Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:19 PM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
i didn't know lowes sold orange a/c flex pipe. but really, if you suck water up that filter kiss you motor good bye. belive us, there have been a few that have dainan cia's and sucked water up.
also even thought your motor sounds good, how much cold air will pass through, given it's a fabric pipeing.
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i
Well that settles it, I guess. Two of your friends say it adds power so it must. To hell with facts and measurements.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39BMW View Post
Then a month later I took the car to Oregon and on the way there I raced another 540i. It was a stormy day, my wipers where on MAX and I still couldn't see well in front of me. I got my car to 145MPH and still had GRIP.

You might want to rethink your driving habits before you hurt an innocent bystander. If you want to wrap yourself around a tree then that is your business but I don't think you want to be responsible for injuring or killing some innocent person.

That was a very revealing post.

Take your car to a track next time.

NAV MKIV | PP | CWP | Xenons | Style 42s | Rear Shades | OEM ULF Bluetooth | Euro Armrest | Beisan Vanos Seals |

2003 530i/5Spd Sport - Titanium Silber/Schwarz Montana
| PP | Xenons | Style 42s | OEM TCU Bluetooth | Euro Armrest | Beisan Vanos Seals |

2001 525iA - Anthracite Metalic / Grau Montana
Sold but in the "family"
| Euro Armrest | Beisan Vanos Seals |
Old 05-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 540i
Well I don't have money to go to track every time I want to go over 70mph because the closest real track is 160 miles away and it costs 200 to get in so the total price would be just over 350 just to go and race. Don't get me wrong I love going there and I know it's much safer and actually more fun on a track but my current finances don't allow me to do that
Old 05-01-2010, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Then dear god don't endanger the rest of us if you can't afford it. I absolutely love to race and drive cars to the limit. For that I have my 67 mini. I can out handle a Ferrari, but can't out accelerate a Civic. If you want to hone your skills, learn to drive a slower car to it's limit. Going fast in a straight line takes no skill. I'm all over improving the performance of your car. But it takes years of racing and research to do so correctly.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
Quote:
Well I don't have money to go to track every time I want to go over 70mph because the closest real track is 160 miles away and it costs 200 to get in so the total price would be just over 350 just to go and race. Don't get me wrong I love going there and I know it's much safer and actually more fun on a track but my current finances don't allow me to do that

The guys on here dont care if you do 130+ on a public road if the conditions are safe.
They just dont want you racing people on public roads.

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmyfive View Post
Then dear god don't endanger the rest of us if you can't afford it. I absolutely love to race and drive cars to the limit. For that I have my 67 mini. I can out handle a Ferrari, but can't out accelerate a Civic. If you want to hone your skills, learn to drive a slower car to it's limit. Going fast in a straight line takes no skill. I'm all over improving the performance of your car. But it takes years of racing and research to do so correctly.
Well I used to have a 2000 civic auto and I DID push it way above ITS limits. (It was running on 3 cylinders because EVERY day i would go past 7K..I know the redline on it is pretty crappy).I crashed it into rocks, drove off the hills and my friend crashed it into a hill once. With its setup (coil over springs and 215 tires) I outhandled MANY cars on the mountain roads including M3s, RX8, AE86s, EVO9s and STIs. The only car I relly lost to was a EVO10 fully tuned up.

That car could destroy my 540i on that road and probably any other bmw on this forum. But again, on a track, most bmws would just leave the civic behind.

Last edited by e39BMW; 05-01-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post

The guys on here dont care if you do 130+ on a public road if the conditions are safe.
They just dont want you racing people on public roads.
Actually I got flamed for doing 109 AT night with NO traffic once (I got a ticket lol)
Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Quote:
Actually I got flamed for doing 109 AT night with NO traffic once (I got a ticket lol)
well see! jk
were you alone at the time?

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
well see! jk
were you alone at the time?

My friend (2008 accord) and I were side by side on cruise control going home from a local mountain race and it was like 2am, we were both tired, there were NO cars at all for miles. Actually at the same time i was writing an essay from my English class on my iphone and then saw cop lights behind us Now my licence is suspended)
Old 05-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 540i 1997
no offense, but thank god your license is suspended

"Owning any german car is like hanukkah,
every day another light"
Old 05-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i
I bet the essay sucked too
Old 05-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj- View Post
I bet the essay sucked too
I still drive on my suspended license lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpumpk1n View Post
no offense, but thank god your license is suspended
Actually I got an A on it
Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up."

Old 05-01-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up."
yeah i know
Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Quote:
Before e46 m3 would be RIGHT next to Sylv's accord and not Accord slowly pulls on the m3.
What does this accord have in it for hop-ups? The E46 M3 is quite fast.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
What does this accord have in it for hop-ups? The E46 M3 is quite fast.
cold air intake, custom(world's only) true dual exhaust, cat delete, lost some weight, port and polish manifold and runners. So pretty much stock.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
There is no way that Honda is faster than an M3 then. Maybe a 325 or 328, but it's not even in the same league as an M3. I mean, it's not even debatable. Ok you can get back to your crack pipe now.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 98 540i-6
Why is anyone encouraging this moron by engaging him in conversation...
Old 05-02-2010, 11:33 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

Mack! Why did you open the door for that guy.

Here we go again..

Old 05-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to kaputsport
Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj- View Post

No, what's silly is what you did to that car. You don't think you massively increased the risk of sucking up water with the filter being that low? What happens if you hit a puddle, or drive behind someone who is kicking up heavy mist? What about in the winter, not worried about snow? Eventually the filter will get saturated enough that it starts pulling in water, or during winter it could become encrusted with ice and choke the engine.
This is probably the worst and most excessive amount of misinformation I have ever heard on a forum, and honestly, I have heard a bunch over the years.

Th filter will not suck up a "drop hear a drop there" and wreck your motor. Try and have an understanding of basic physics and fluid dynamics before making a post full of obscene internet rumors.

The CAI you made is purposeful in only one way that I can see. The plastic will not hold heat in like a metal tube, and the filter will allow cold air draw away from the hot engine. The issue is the ridges in the plastic flex tubing. If the flow would bypass these, you are losing the depth of the ridged part times 2, effectively reducing the intake tract. What you could do to totally fix this issue, is now spend the money and get mandrel bent tubing the shape and size of your intake, and then you would have a worth while endevour.

Props for making it, but you can do better.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:59 PM

And just to set the record straight, I am aware of hydrolock. Most cases involve driving into a puddle large enough to completely submerge the filter, making the water the only viable substance to go it, and it must be for more than a little splash on a road.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpumpk1n View Post
it might seem like you need a lot of water to get your engine hydrolocked, it might seem like you need to go over a puddle. but what happens (based on fluid mechanics, look up von karman and navier stokes if you dont believe me) is that the lower you go the fluid acts as if its more like a solid layer (or rather denser?). so lets say your travelling down the road at 60mph on a rainy day, the mist being produced from the cars in front of you and the water being sucked up from the layer of road your in will be in the direct path of your intake. the intake is confined and does not expand or contract, so when the mist enters the intake, the sudden pressure increase will turn that mist into liquid instantly and itl be sucked into one of the cylinders. when that cylinder gets to the compression stage, the cylinder will compress because of the momentum from the other cylinders, however liquid (especially water) is generally incompressible, so at high pressure they behave like solids so pretend you have a brick inside your cylinder and then you try to compress it. this will break your connecting rods (hence the term "threw a rod") and your engine will be in for a major overhaul and cost upwards of 3-4k if your lucky.
I have a very hard time believing anything posted here. The thought that a mist of water while driving is going to hydro lock the motor is almost as silly as the last guy that said it.

You seem to have a slight grasp on fluid dynamics, but your theory is off...

Air is a fluid, and can travel faster and easier through the pipe than the water. He would require an extreme amount of pressure to allow a heavy object (such as water) to travel through a crinkled tube all the way through the throttle body and into the motor.Not only are the ports on the inside of the intake manifold at least a half inch from the floor of the manifold, the idea that the moderate amount of suction produced by the motor could make water fly into the motor over air. Fluid is like anything else, and it will follow the path of least resistance. Since air is lighter than water, air will follow the twists, and bends of the intake as there is no resistance for it to deal with. Water has added weight, and will have trouble all over the place.

First, it has to find it's way through the filter. The same filter you are asking to keep pieces of dust that measure in the microns out, you are asking to keep a drop of water... I know you said mist, but mist is still larger.

Second, once the water travels through the filter, and rejoins with the rest of itself (think Terminator 2 in the factory) the water has to be pulled through the tube, while fighting gravity, and other forces in the moving car. It has to go up and down every ridge in the tube, and then get past a throttle body, somehow find it's way airbourne, and then into a port in the motor... After that, more of the waters buddies have to show up at the exact same time so that there is more water in the engine than airspace, causing the motor to break, as water does not compress like air.

The idea that this is in anyway true from mist is laughable. Please stop posting misinformation. I mean, if you really don't understand something, 5 minutes on Google isn't going to help.

Last edited by kaputsport; 05-02-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39er09 View Post
We are all saying water will travel through the filter and end up in the engine and will lock up the motor. The filter is in a compromising position. You want a science project? Why should we prove you wrong? Why don't you prove us wrong? Put it on a dyno, spray water into filter simulating a rainy day. Take a hose to it simulating hitting a water puddle. Have someone take video clips and post it. New thread, "how I locked my motor". You are not a newbie to be this defensive. Take a hint.
Honestly, I should do the experiment for you....

Take a BMW, and submerge the filter in water. To be fair, the amount of water you would get from mist is, lets say half the cone filter...

I would do that. No problem. Why? Cause it will not suck up water if there is the availability for air to be picked up first...

What part of this don't you people understand... I guess you were too busy day trading in science class...
Old 05-02-2010, 02:10 PM
bimmer love

Mein Auto: 528i E39!
every post i see from e39bmw relates to a honda in some way... please take it to a honda forum in regards to how you drive your car (stupidly) and how you "mod" it (gut the interior) and brag about your ricer bmw there and maybe you wont piss everyone off hear. Ive learned alot from this forum and has actually made me respect my bmw ALOT more. Im not flaming, just saying, take the crap somewhere else because its obvious the people on this forum dont want to hear you tearing up your bmw racing it down the mountain and gutting the interior to shave like .00003 seconds off a drag slip. Also 145 in rain? STUPID... 80 in snow? STUPID.. are you kidding? its almost a disgrace to our roundels..