Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 540i
Stripping the car just over 300lb gives you about .3 seconds off a quarter miles... Not .0003 like you say....... Now the only problem is spinning my tires 1st through 3rd gear and getting 17.7 on the first run
Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 PM
bimmer love

Mein Auto: 528i E39!
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39BMW View Post
Stripping the car just over 300lb gives you about .3 seconds off a quarter miles... Not .0003 like you say....... Now the only problem is spinning my tires 1st through 3rd gear and getting 17.7 on the first run
but why? the e39 is a crusing car that holds bmw standards of luxury. The M's are the race cars. I know alot of friends with hondas that run low 12's that would cost only a fraction of getting a bmw to run something like that. Build a honda, let alone maybe a mustang/camaro to race. Not a 4 door luxury sedan. You gut the interior at what cost? are you planning on stepping into the ranks of top fuel dragsters or what? your gutting beautiful german leather wrapped interior to shave ".3" of a drag time. What is the point? really explain? why are you tearing apart such a precision engineered 4 door sedan to drag race it?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Didn't you read his posts, he doesn't give a $hit what his car looks like. Just one look at it proves that.

People, it's his car (unfortunately) let him abuse it any way he sees fit. Don't worry, at this rate he won't own a BMW for very long
Old 05-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputsport View Post
I have a very hard time believing anything posted here. The thought that a mist of water while driving is going to hydro lock the motor is almost as silly as the last guy that said it.

You seem to have a slight grasp on fluid dynamics, but your theory is off...

Air is a fluid, and can travel faster and easier through the pipe than the water. He would require an extreme amount of pressure to allow a heavy object (such as water) to travel through a crinkled tube all the way through the throttle body and into the motor.Not only are the ports on the inside of the intake manifold at least a half inch from the floor of the manifold, the idea that the moderate amount of suction produced by the motor could make water fly into the motor over air. Fluid is like anything else, and it will follow the path of least resistance. Since air is lighter than water, air will follow the twists, and bends of the intake as there is no resistance for it to deal with. Water has added weight, and will have trouble all over the place.

First, it has to find it's way through the filter. The same filter you are asking to keep pieces of dust that measure in the microns out, you are asking to keep a drop of water... I know you said mist, but mist is still larger.

Second, once the water travels through the filter, and rejoins with the rest of itself (think Terminator 2 in the factory) the water has to be pulled through the tube, while fighting gravity, and other forces in the moving car. It has to go up and down every ridge in the tube, and then get past a throttle body, somehow find it's way airbourne, and then into a port in the motor... After that, more of the waters buddies have to show up at the exact same time so that there is more water in the engine than airspace, causing the motor to break, as water does not compress like air.

The idea that this is in anyway true from mist is laughable. Please stop posting misinformation. I mean, if you really don't understand something, 5 minutes on Google isn't going to help.

I'm no chemist so I'm not going to try to debate this on that level, but I think it's more complicated than "water is heavier than air, so mist can't cause hydrolock".

The point is, why risk it? Why put your air filter in a clearly dangerous spot for little to no benefit?
Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
Didn't you read his posts, he doesn't give a $hit what his car looks like. Just one look at it proves that.

People, it's his car (unfortunately) let him abuse it any way he sees fit. Don't worry, at this rate he won't own a BMW for very long
Oh I do care about how my car looks and right now its in a much better condition then it used to be. I already finished with the interior restoration and hopefully this summer start the exterior restoration.

Wat do you mean by abusing my car? I take great care if her, keep her clean all the time and make sure she runs great. And yes I bring her to races. I do push her to the area where she belongs that is actually going over 100mph sometimes. If you really think taking a car to a maintainer race is abuse, then im sorry for your car, she probably has never gone over 100mph or done a sharp turn at 70mph.
I have 220K miles on the block and it is still running strong
Old 05-02-2010, 06:09 PM
bimmer love

BMW > German > 100+MPH > ... AUTOBAHN
Old 05-02-2010, 06:14 PM

nah we dont need autobahn..we can just drive 140 on freeways ...i do that
Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
Quote:
Oh I do care about how my car looks and right now its in a much better condition then it used to be. I already finished with the interior restoration and hopefully this summer start the exterior restoration.

Wat do you mean by abusing my car? I take great care if her, keep her clean all the time and make sure she runs great. And yes I bring her to races. I do push her to the area where she belongs that is actually going over 100mph sometimes. If you really think taking a car to a maintainer race is abuse, then im sorry for your car, she probably has never gone over 100mph or done a sharp turn at 70mph.
I have 220K miles on the block and it is still running strong
lol he was talking about OP

BTW, you should change your oil more often than 15K. That would be taking care of your car. 220?! You push that old girl hard.

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:24 PM
bimmer love

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post

BTW, you should change your oil more often than 15K. That would be taking care of your car. 220?! You push that old girl hard.
i feel very sorry for that "girl"
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah I do
Old 05-02-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 528ibimmer View Post
i feel very sorry for that "girl"
No need to be, she likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
I think youre more appropriate for the e36

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Unsubscribed

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 PM
bimmer love

Quote:
I think youre more appropriate for the e36
or a honda. for the love of god
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to kaputsport
Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj- View Post
I'm no chemist so I'm not going to try to debate this on that level, but I think it's more complicated than "water is heavier than air, so mist can't cause hydrolock".

The point is, why risk it? Why put your air filter in a clearly dangerous spot for little to no benefit?
The idea and theory is this. For the engine to ingest water, there has to be no point that it can ingest air. You would have to submerge the entire intake opening in the water to make it not able to pull in any air. Because the water is heavier, the air is the first thing to go through.

See Air and water are both fluids. You can drive your car in a very humid climate, can't you? Humidity is water molecules in the air itself. The air filter will stop larger molecules of water from getting in, and only allow a thinner, lighter air to pass through. If the filter is submerged, the only thing the suction for the engine can and will pull is water.

To prove this theory, I would love to take a CAI, on any engine mind you, and take a large conical filter, submerge half of the filter and redline the car. The car would run, and continue to run fine. The reason we hydro lock is because we completely cover the source of the air, not because of misting. The idea that mist can destroy the motor, if mixed with enough air, should mean that you should mot be driving in the rain, as the surrounding air has humidity, and water vapor. The engine breaths in and will take that vapor with it, regardless if it is directly applied to the filter, or though the piping the factory installed. Both allow this type of water molecule to get into the engine. The engines tolerances allow this.

The reason engines will hydro lock when ingesting water is the cylinder fills with more water than it can hold at top dead center. When the piston works on it's compression stroke, all the valves are closed, and the piston, rod and crank are the only parts to take the amount of pressure they are trying to put out on the air/fuel mixture. Because water does not compress, the force has to go somewhere.

If misting water would cause this type of damage, please research water/methanal injection. This type of performance product is used to cool the charged air in a boosted car, and included, misted water directly ingested by the motor. If this misting by the car in front would destroy your motor with a CAI, then every boosted kid with water/meth injection would also be replacing motors as frequent as the internet horror stories we hear.

If you want definitive proof, lets ask the Mythbusters to test this theory.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Hydrolock Wiki. Read it. I'm for real unsubscribed this time!

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Now the only problem is spinning my tires 1st through 3rd gear and getting 17.7 on the first run
dude, you have got to be kidding....17.7!!!! that's slower than my 7 and my 3....but not my hyundai

as for the wheel spin, get better tires.

df
Old 05-02-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
dude, you have got to be kidding....17.7!!!! that's slower than my 7 and my 3....but not my hyundai

as for the wheel spin, get better tires.

df

well on the second run i got 14.9 (still was spinning like crazy)....Tires I was running are 2002 Michelin MX4...not im running Federals SS 255/40/r17 and cant really spin in 1st or second anymore unless i rev it to 4K and dump the clutch.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 540i 1997
why are people still posting here?

"Owning any german car is like hanukkah,
every day another light"

Last edited by mrpumpk1n; 05-02-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputsport View Post
The idea and theory is this. For the engine to ingest water, there has to be no point that it can ingest air. You would have to submerge the entire intake opening in the water to make it not able to pull in any air. Because the water is heavier, the air is the first thing to go through.

See Air and water are both fluids. You can drive your car in a very humid climate, can't you? Humidity is water molecules in the air itself. The air filter will stop larger molecules of water from getting in, and only allow a thinner, lighter air to pass through. If the filter is submerged, the only thing the suction for the engine can and will pull is water.

To prove this theory, I would love to take a CAI, on any engine mind you, and take a large conical filter, submerge half of the filter and redline the car. The car would run, and continue to run fine. The reason we hydro lock is because we completely cover the source of the air, not because of misting. The idea that mist can destroy the motor, if mixed with enough air, should mean that you should mot be driving in the rain, as the surrounding air has humidity, and water vapor. The engine breaths in and will take that vapor with it, regardless if it is directly applied to the filter, or though the piping the factory installed. Both allow this type of water molecule to get into the engine. The engines tolerances allow this.

The reason engines will hydro lock when ingesting water is the cylinder fills with more water than it can hold at top dead center. When the piston works on it's compression stroke, all the valves are closed, and the piston, rod and crank are the only parts to take the amount of pressure they are trying to put out on the air/fuel mixture. Because water does not compress, the force has to go somewhere.

If misting water would cause this type of damage, please research water/methanal injection. This type of performance product is used to cool the charged air in a boosted car, and included, misted water directly ingested by the motor. If this misting by the car in front would destroy your motor with a CAI, then every boosted kid with water/meth injection would also be replacing motors as frequent as the internet horror stories we hear.

If you want definitive proof, lets ask the Mythbusters to test this theory.
I don't believe your assumptions. I don't think the filter has to be completely submerged for water to be sucked in. First, you are ignoring velocity. The rain that enters a CAI is not standing water, it's splashed or sprayed into the filter at road speeds. Second, I doubt 02 molecules are much smaller than H20 molecules. Also, according to the wiki (again, not a chemist or fluid dynamics dude, so I can't speak to the validity), driving through heavy precipitation with a CAI can cause hydrolock, and it doesn't need to be a massive amount because it can "create a positive feedback cycle, whereby water entering the engine retards the combustion and cools the chamber, preventing the water from being fully vaporized and expelled, which then allows more water to be retained on the next cycle, until hydrolock occurs"

Again, I'm not saying his homemade CAI is certain death for the engine, but it is an unnecessary risk. I don't need definitive proof because I'm not putting my air filter 5" off the ground. If I were to do it, however, I would do research beyond what highschool science and wikipedia have taught me.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 540i 1997
unsubscribed.

"Owning any german car is like hanukkah,
every day another light"

Last edited by mrpumpk1n; 05-02-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
This guy is the biggest liar I have heard of in a while. Always has an answer for everything. It takes NOTHING to type a story on a forum and envoke emotion. History has shown that when someone this idiotic shows up it is actually a very intelligent person impersonating a fool. You had me for a while, but now I know there couldn't be someone that stupid in real life. Kudos to you! Great jokes!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
+1 I agree. Someone is just having a laugh at all our expense and it seems like we just keep biting. Wise up people, it's not a real story.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmyfive View Post
This guy is the biggest liar I have heard of in a while. Always has an answer for everything. It takes NOTHING to type a story on a forum and envoke emotion. History has shown that when someone this idiotic shows up it is actually a very intelligent person impersonating a fool. You had me for a while, but now I know there couldn't be someone that stupid in real life. Kudos to you! Great jokes!
If you think im lying then please be my guest, come down her and witness all i said for yourself.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to kaputsport
Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj- View Post
I don't believe your assumptions. I don't think the filter has to be completely submerged for water to be sucked in. First, you are ignoring velocity. The rain that enters a CAI is not standing water, it's splashed or sprayed into the filter at road speeds. Second, I doubt 02 molecules are much smaller than H20 molecules. Also, according to the wiki (again, not a chemist or fluid dynamics dude, so I can't speak to the validity), driving through heavy precipitation with a CAI can cause hydrolock, and it doesn't need to be a massive amount because it can "create a positive feedback cycle, whereby water entering the engine retards the combustion and cools the chamber, preventing the water from being fully vaporized and expelled, which then allows more water to be retained on the next cycle, until hydrolock occurs"

Again, I'm not saying his homemade CAI is certain death for the engine, but it is an unnecessary risk. I don't need definitive proof because I'm not putting my air filter 5" off the ground. If I were to do it, however, I would do research beyond what highschool science and wikipedia have taught me.
The idea that even though the water is moving, it is not moving in the right direction. For instance, if your filter was a panel, and was where the kindey grills wer, and had a straight shot into the TB at speed, I could see this as an issue...

However, Newton thoerized that an object in motion will stay in motion until acted upon by another force. You have Gravity effecting the water, and the act of the water hitting the filter material. The water is instantly slowed. Further more, the air may pick up some of the molecules, but will not create this catastrophic failure.

The idea the motor can hydro lock from just rain, and not total submersion, must mean 3" an hour or more. I can see a CAI hydro locking in a Hurricane, but not a regular rain storm.

There are too many variables for this to say it will or it will not. All I am getting at is saying he is going to destroy his motor cause he has an intake is a silly statement. 99.99% of the time he is fine. If he decides driving through lakes is in his best interest, then he is on the road to destruction. That was all I am saying. Too many "Horror Stories" regarding someones cousin or friends friend who once had it happen. I knopw it happens, but the CAI is not to blame, the driver is, unless it is an extreme case, like the guy on here who put a 4.6 liter engine in after his went... I can actually say there was nothing he could have done.
Closed Thread