Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 2.5i
Question 2001 Z3 2.5 it just clicks will not start

so i went out and my bat was dead. I jumped it and started right up. then the same thing happened it jumped again no problem. drove it home and parked it. i went start it again the next day and the same thing happened now when i put the cables on it to jump it, it just clicks and will not start. any help on this would be appreciated. I am thinking the ews and the dme? but i am not quite sure...
Ads by Google
Old 10-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
You almost certainly need a new battery.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 2.5 Roadster
When the engine is running, do you get more than 12 volts at the battery? If you don't your alternator may not be working.

Fred
Old 10-27-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: -98 Mroadster S50 Estoril
New battery.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 AM

I cant get it started to test the battery. but if it was the battery wouldnt it start when i hooked up cables to it?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:14 PM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
You can't jump start a completely dead battery.

Also, did you clean the battery connections? Sometimes a "bad" battery is actually a poor battery connection.

Last edited by dougmcintyre; 10-27-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW Z3
Bad relay?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
I'm positive that it's a bad battery.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhilly View Post
... my bat was dead. I jumped it and started right up. then the same thing happened it jumped again no problem. drove it home... the next day and the same thing happened now when i put the cables on it to jump it, it just clicks and will not start...
The battery is not holding a charge.
Quote:
I cant get it started to test the battery. but if it was the battery wouldnt it start when i hooked up cables to it?
You can test the battery in or out of the car with a pocket multimeter. Less than 12.5v means it's weak and much lower means it's bad. As to why jump starting no longer works, tell us more. You jumped it twice on the street from another car, then jumped it at home from another car, and the next day you jumped it from another car on the street and it just clicked? Is that the sequence?

Last edited by vintage42; 10-31-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:30 PM

He certainly has a dead battery either because the battery is bad or due to a charging problem. That may explain why he had some minimal success in the beginning but none now.

I would also suggest that the battery, being left in a deep state of discharge for what I perceive to be days now, is permanently damaged and needs to be replaced in any case.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:09 AM

It was the battery. I thought that since it jumped twice it should have jumped again. Thank you everyone for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:
I thought that since it jumped twice it should have jumped again.
Not necessarily.

The battery probably failed when some of the plates lost their mechanical strength and shorted to one another. This happens due to age, crappy manufacturing, or especially deep discharging.

Conventional lead acid car batteries (not marine deep discharge lead acid batteries) are not designed for a deep discharge, especially a prolonged discharge. Even leaving one of these batteries in a shallow state of discharge for just a short period of time will take capacity out of them as the un-reversed sulfate deposits harden. Car batteries are designed to always be fully charged. Their design basis is to only provide a lot of energy for a very short period of time to start the car and then be immediately recharged. If for whatever reason, the battery is found to be in a state of deep discharge, it is probably permanently damaged and will fail eventually prematurely. At best, if your lucky, the deep discharged battery, not immediately recharged, will no longer have its design basis capacity.