Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-06-2015, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328i
Help...I've exhausted my knowledge

Three days ago I started my 08 328i and had a hard start (3sec). After ignition, I recieved these indications.

[IMG][/IMG]

After the hard start, the car runs, but not well. It idles well
below normal and has marked performance losses when I accelerate the car.

I've researched the combination. I also had the codes scanned. The car was throwing codes for the crankshaft position sensor, the coast solenoid, and both banks running lean. I concluded that I needed to replace the Crankshaft position sensor. No dice, same issues persist. I read elsewhere that a weak battery could be the culprit. No dice.

I don't think the O2 sensors are the culprit, because both banks' sensor going bad at precisely the same time is unlikely.

I'm think down to three possible solutions. 1) it's a fuel flow issue and the filter and/or pump is to blame. 2) I have a vacuum and/or intake issue 3) the ecm is shot.

I have no doubt that I'm missing something that you fine folks will see immediately. I'm at the end of my knowledge base, looking for help from anywhere at this point._a__a2_
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M6 F13
With that many lights on I would just cough up the 120-140$ and have a BMW master tech diagnose the issue...probably will save you a lot more in the long-run.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod

Can you post all error codes noted in scan?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:20 PM

4 codes, all P-codes

P0335
P1727
I can't remember the two remaining codes. But they were defined as lean banks, both 1 and 2.

I just went outside and tried the oil cap test. For the first time I heard a faint whistle and the oil cap wouldn't budge. That points towards an eccentric shaft sensor. Easy enough to check it out. But a full day to change out if it's bad I think.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:07 AM

Pulled the cowl and associated paraphernalia this morning to inspect Eccentric Shaft Sensor. Here's the photo.

It was pretty dingy on the outside of the sensor. But the interior showed no signs of oil or moisture. I'm at a loss. It's running lean with quite a bit of pressure on the oil cap at idle. The crankshaft sensor is new, wires checked good. Both banks (the entire engine) are lean. Hard start and low/sporadic idle continues. There's a slight whistle from the engine compartment. The indy in working with noted blow-by on the eccentric shaft sensor as we were inspecting, but inside looked great. Any more tips? Should I just go ahead and change the eccentric sensor, coils, plugs, valve cover gaskets, valvetronic motor gasket, and see what happens? Could cleaning the O2 sensors work? Really confused at this point.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensims04 View Post
Pulled the cowl and associated paraphernalia this morning to inspect Eccentric Shaft Sensor. Here's the photo.

It was pretty dingy on the outside of the sensor. But the interior showed no signs of oil or moisture. I'm at a loss. It's running lean with quite a bit of pressure on the oil cap at idle. The crankshaft sensor is new, wires checked good. Both banks (the entire engine) are lean. Hard start and low/sporadic idle continues. There's a slight whistle from the engine compartment. The indy in working with noted blow-by on the eccentric shaft sensor as we were inspecting, but inside looked great. Any more tips? Should I just go ahead and change the eccentric sensor, coils, plugs, valve cover gaskets, valvetronic motor gasket, and see what happens? Could cleaning the O2 sensors work? Really confused at this point.
Yes. You will need to anyway. If it is not that, you at least know you are good for a long while on the most notorious error throwing n52 repair out there and you will have a tight valve cover and valvetronic motor gasket set.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensims04 View Post

Not sure but I am sure changing all that would be cheaper than whatever the dealer wants to do. Can't you pay someone to give you a diagnostic ? That way you know what you need to replace.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
Yes. You will need to anyway. If it is not that, you at least know you are good for a long while on the most notorious error throwing n52 repair out there and you will have a tight valve cover and valvetronic motor gasket set.
sptt144,

I'm very new to anything internal to the engine on this car (I've only accomplished basic brake jobs, oil changes, filters, etc). Would you mind expounding a bit on the known (notorious) issues with the eccentric shaft sensor on this particular engine?

Last edited by Bensims04; 08-08-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBro View Post
Not sure but I am sure changing all that would be cheaper than whatever the dealer wants to do. Can't you pay someone to give you a diagnostic ? That way you know what you need to replace.
BeamerBro,

The diagnostic is not diagnosing specific parts. It is diagnosing the issues I now believe to be associated with a breathing issue. My thoughts now--as it applies to the symptoms--are that the eccentric shaft sensor is not correctly reading and giving poor information to the eccentric shaft motor (the valvetronic motor). The valvetronic motor is in turn, not correctly opening the variable valve system. This is causing poor breathing characteristics during idle. That explanation explains the whistle and brutally tight oil cap.

Of course, as a newb I reserve the privilege (an expensive one!) of the paragraph above being 100% wrong.

I humbly welcome any all corrections to my line of thinking.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:46 AM

Eccentric Shaft Sensor?

Bumping the thread for input. I feel like searches have been fruitful, but obviously I have my doubts as to the diagnosis. CalH2Odude and sptt144 have been heroes to this point.