Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-19-2015, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: E38, E46, E92
Air vents on either side of center channel speaker

I have a 2009 E92 with no iDrive or Navigation. I don't have a center speaker channel but my question has to do with the vents on either side of where that speaker would be.

My everyday settings:
- Snowflake icon on
- Recirc is set to automatic
- Auto is off
- Max is off
- Blue/Red dial is set to blue
- REST is off
- Temp gauges set to 66 (sometimes down to 62)
- Air flow button for face/chest is selected (in other words, footwell button is off, windshield button is off)
- All dash vents are set to 1/open (as opposed to 0/closed)

Observed behavior:
1. When air flow button for footwell is selected, air blows to footwell and air stops blowing from dash vents and center channel vents.

2. When air flow button for windshield is selected, air blows to windshield and air stops blowing from dash vents and center channel vents.

3. When air flow button for face/chest is selected, air blows out of all dash vents plus out of the two vents on either side of center channel speaker.

Is #3 normal behavior? That air should come out of the center channel speaker vents?

I live in Texas and have the legal tint percentages on all windows. I even have the clear "tint" on the front windshield. I need as much air blowing on me as possible.

My desire is to divert the air coming from those center channel vents to the center dash vents (where the Blue/Red knob and central locking button are).

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance for your kind responses.
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2015, 07:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Yes #3 is normal. The windshield vents are right under the glass.

Only way to redirect that air from the center upper vents is to physically block it off or you may be able to unplug the actuators for those vents so they never open.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-19-2015, 07:27 AM

Thanks for confirming #3 as normal behavior, fdriller9.

Unplugging the actuators might confuse the car so now I'm thinking that I can pop off that center trim piece and use duct tape to block those vents (cheap and reversible).

Thanks again!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
I might be wrong but I seem to remember those dash vents (on either side of the center speaker) were specifically designed to allow more air because the E90 had much smaller dash vents as compared to the E46.

If you force too much air through smaller vents it gets noisy and downright annoying. My previous Subaru had this problem and it was a major problem for me. I hate when cold air is blowing directly on me, but I do want the car cold.

It seems like they gave up on this with the F30 because those dash vents are much louder on Max AC compared to my E92. Even my passenger noticed this when I had a loaner car.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:57 PM

mossman35, you raise a point i didn't think of: increased airflow through small-ish vents could cause turbulent air noise...

BUT, if my duct tape experiment works, i wouldn't need to turn the blower up because of the greater volume of air coming at me (unlike you, i like the air blowing directly on me; to each his own)...if in fact it does get noisy after the experiment, i could compromise and reposition the duct tape to cover HALF (or some fraction) of the two center speaker vents...

thank you for your reply!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by maviduya View Post
mossman35, you raise a point i didn't think of: increased airflow through small-ish vents could cause turbulent air noise...

BUT, if my duct tape experiment works, i wouldn't need to turn the blower up because of the greater volume of air coming at me (unlike you, i like the air blowing directly on me; to each his own)...if in fact it does get noisy after the experiment, i could compromise and reposition the duct tape to cover HALF (or some fraction) of the two center speaker vents...

thank you for your reply!
If it were me, I would leave well enough alone... but...

So you put in your duct tape to increase the air flow to the dash vents, then you lower the fan speed thereby decreasing air flow to the dash vents. That seems odd to me. You don't seem to mind the air flow coming from the dash (center speaker vents) so I don't see the point in covering these. Leave them uncovered, and keep the fan on high and you are exactly where you will be after your tinkering.

The only benefit to blocking the top vents might be to get colder air (less air flow should result in colder air) but that could freeze up the coil. IF the AC is properly charged it should be damn cold. Mine certainly is.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Mein Auto: 2015 Ford Mondeo Turnier
The two vents next to the centre fill speaker (if equipped, plastic plate if not) are essentially secondary "face level" vents that work in conjunction with the centre vents on the dash.

The "blasting cold air to the face" feeling is an American ideal.......the Europeans would rather the cool air move past them to cool the overall cabin. Probably a factor in the design. Plus, there is a humidity sensor that sits in that area underneath the rain sensor for vehicles equipped with the climate automatic; the airflow probably has something to do with optimising the behaviour of that as well.