Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-24-2012, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 320i
No sound from speakers

Hi All.

I am new to the forums and would like to add that my knowledge on vehicle mechanics is very limited, but am trying to learn and hopefully save some money in the process .I have been having this problem for a while now and and cant seem to figure out whats going on. The audio in my car suddenly just stopped, the radio comes on and i can put a cd in and from a radio point of view everything seems to be functioning but there is just no sound. I checked all the fuses and they were fine, so my next assumption was the AMP, i managed to get the exact same AMP from a mate and swapped it out but i still have no sound. I have tried disconnecting the battery for an hour but that also doesnt help. Another thing i noticed is that my telephone icon only shows 2 dashes so i'm assuming it's disabled or something and i cant access the telephone menu. Does anyone have any ideas on where i can check next or what the problem could be ?

Many thanks in advance
AJ
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 AM

was doing some online research today, is there a fuse for the Amplifier in the red box ontop of the battery ?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
You didn't say which of the three systems you have.

You could have a Most Bus problem if you have a Most Bus based system.
The Most Bus is a fiberoptic link between a number of modules . Its a loop so if
anything in the chain is broken nothing in it works. The most common module is
the TCU bluetooth module followed by BMW assist. TCU = telephone control unit.
The TCU is under the trunk floor in the middle right side.
The L7 amp is part of the Most Bus Loop.
There is an electrical pdf towards the end of the list of links .
The one that has google in it and it explains the fusing and Most Bus connections.
If any of the fuses over the battery were gone large sections of the car wouldn't work.

BMW stereo types
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352586
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1266451970
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780605
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780865
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...QNFyu70IsyKRlg
http://www.musicarnw.com/page-2/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...4&d=1278871872

Last edited by ctuna; 11-24-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks so much for your reply ctuna.
I have the Logic 7 MOST bus system, I have checked the fiber optic cable that goes into the AMP and there is a light shinning through. Tomorrow morning i will take a look at the TCU to see if there is a light comming through the fiber optic cable. If there is a light comming through to the TCU, is there anything else "Obvious" that i can look at on the TCU to try and identify what the problem is.

Many Thanks
AJ
Old 11-24-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Since the TCU can take control of the sound

Since the TCU can take control of the sound as in switch it to the telephone, this may be your problem. I don't know if this valid but if you could get most jumper you bypass the TCU and see if the sound comes back (if the software allows it.)it would isolate the problem to the TCU.
I would check the connections at the TCU as a starting point.
I wonder if the TCU is fused you might check to see its getting voltage.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-24-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 AM

Hi ctuna

I checked the TCU today, there is a light shining through the fiber optic cable so i know there is no break in the cable. I then disconnected the TCU power cable for about 15 minutes to see if this would not reset the unit but that didnt work either. I also checked fuse # 17 as i read somewhere that was the fuse for the TCU but no luck. i'm gonna have to take her in and get her checked out. thank you so much again for all your advice you have been a great help.

AJ
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: E87
Hi, i have a problem with my e87, no sound coming from my speakers, pulled out the connector behind my radio and theres no light on the optic cables. What can i do to get the light or sound back, please help.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I had an E46 whose speakers quit working. Not knowing if head unit or amplifier (in the trunk) was at fault, I asked BMW Service to diagnose. It turns out that some bodywork at the back of the car had a slight gap allowing water entry, corroding the terminals. They cleaned the terminals and speaker function was restored.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 335i
AJ I know this is old but what did your problem end up being? I'm having the same problem. I replaced my amp and still no sound. I am getting the SOS error on the dash with the phone and its crossed out. I am actually able to connect my Bluetooth with my phone, however there is no sound. Could this still be the TCU?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LncGmz View Post
AJ I know this is old but what did your problem end up being? I'm having the same problem. I replaced my amp and still no sound. I am getting the SOS error on the dash with the phone and its crossed out. I am actually able to connect my Bluetooth with my phone, however there is no sound. Could this still be the TCU?
If you're getting the SOS symbol, BMW Assist has a malfunction in the TCU module.

TCU module handles bluetooth and BMW Assist features.

This module, along with your iDrive unit (and amp if you have L7), is on the MOST bus.

When a module freezes/hangs/fails etc, it brings the entire MOST bus down with it.

This is the reason you have no sound.

You can either replace the TCU and have it coded in. Or code out the BMW Assist portion of the TCU. Bluetooth functions 100% after disabling the BMW Assist portion of your TCU.

Another reason for this error is a break in the MOST bus fiber optic lines. If there is any disruption in coms over the fiber optic lines, the bus goes down.

There is a MOST bus diagnostic port under the driver's side dash. Make sure the union coupler is installed correctly. If this coupler is missing or improperly installed, the MOST bus will also be taken down.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
If you're getting the SOS symbol, BMW Assist has a malfunction in the TCU module.

TCU module handles bluetooth and BMW Assist features.

This module, along with your iDrive unit (and amp if you have L7), is on the MOST bus.

When a module freezes/hangs/fails etc, it brings the entire MOST bus down with it.

This is the reason you have no sound.

You can either replace the TCU and have it coded in. Or code out the BMW Assist portion of the TCU. Bluetooth functions 100% after disabling the BMW Assist portion of your TCU.

Another reason for this error is a break in the MOST bus fiber optic lines. If there is any disruption in coms over the fiber optic lines, the bus goes down.

There is a MOST bus diagnostic port under the driver's side dash. Make sure the union coupler is installed correctly. If this coupler is missing or improperly installed, the MOST bus will also be taken down.

Thank you for the quick reply. If I coded out the BMW assist would this bring the sound back?

If I did replace TCU does it need to be coded for audio purposes? Reason I ask is I probably can't code and I have no one around me that can either. There is no dealership or authorized BMW shop in my area. I'd have it coed at a later time. Also are TCU'S interchangeable if I get one from another e90 or e92 will it just work? I'm more concerned with the audio portion. My fiber optic line has one red light that stays lit up and also blinks.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 AM

If the TCU is the culprit, yes the sound will come back.

I'm not 100% if the TCU has to be coded into the car. I believe the BMW Assist portion must be coded to match the data from the car. But the bluetooth should be plug and play.

Check the regional section of bmwcoding.com for local coders.

If the coder is not familiar with coding out the BMW Assist portion, just tell him/her to add +TELD to the VO. FA_Write the new VO to CAS and FRM. Then default CAS, FRM, Kombi, TCU, and CAPPL or CIC depending on which nav unit you have, with Expert Mode in NCS (or any other profile with .man manipulation off).

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 AM

You can try resetting the iDrive by holding the volume knob and both eject buttons in until the system reboots.

This is soft reset that only resets the iDrive unit, but sometimes if coms are hanging between this and the TCU, it will kick the TCU in a reboot as well.

If you have a newer CIC unit, hold the volume knob in for 10+ seconds until the system reboots.

This is how my TCU started to fail. Every couple weeks it would need to be reset. Eventually, the TCU completely failed and I had to code it out as described above.

Last edited by fdriller9; 07-30-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I really appreciate it. Anyway I took a look at my TCU and for some reason it has the "no GPS" label on it. However, my car is equipped with GPS and it works just fine.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:41 PM

TCU doesn't handle GPS function. The GPS antenna is in the shark fin antenna on the roof. The GPS signal is relayed to the iDrive unit and processed there. The TCU will pull GPS data from the iDrive

Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Thank you. I called the dealer to get a price on the part and the part number I was giving them didn't come up with anything. The part number I have for my TCU is 8410912653401. They would not tell me their part number. However realoem shows me part number 84109181230. I'm not able to find either of these part numbers used, but I come across some that have different part numbers but list the the part numbers I have on their list of other part numbers that are compatible. Will these other part numbers work fine?

Also I came across something else that I can maybe use for the time being to get my audio back. I found a fiber optic system jumper or also known as MOST termination loop. Will this solve my no sound issue for the time being? Its part number 61136917541. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 AM

As long as you get the correct amp (L7 vs hifi) and the part #s are for a 3, 5, or 6 series, the amp will work.

The terminal might work, I'm not sure

Last edited by fdriller9; 07-31-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 530D GT 2010
I sufferred the same problem for about 3 years. After trying to find connection between the problem and potential reason i finally find out that is relating to amount of load in my trunk.
It was lika starting the car with no sound, next start everything working fine, after next start nothing etc.... sometimes it lasts for a week or two, then just start working once, and another few days without sound.
Fault memory was showing AMP int fault or/and AMP overvoltage. Deleting the fault was the cure, but it was really annoing driving 1hr to connect car to the service computer without any guarrantie that it will not stop playing the sound until next start.
For 7 months i was driving with a lot of stuff in my trunk and there was no problem, and some time ago i removed everything and..... it started again.
So the only one logic axplanation was that there are some wires not properly connected.
I decided today to go to service but..... it starts working :o but only for this drive.... so later i went to service to clear the fault memory (that always helped).
How suprised i was that after clearing the fault memory still no sound!!!! and after second check - no fault's at all !!!!
I decided that i have to see how it looks this f...ing LOGIC 7 AMP.
I took this out, all the wires looks ok, but still no sound, and then............... i put my finger on the white wire tape visible thru the ventilation hole and...... just like magic touch..... it starts playing the sound!!!!!!! simple as that. After disassembling the AMP at home, the tape connecting two circut board was U shaped, i changed it to S shape and works fine!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426-kopia.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	519625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	519626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg
Views:	12