Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 05-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: Lotsa 7 series! E38 Fan!
94 740iL - New guy needs help

Hello fellow Bmw owners. My name is John H. from Montana.

I own 2 BMW's and am really impressed with the quality of them both. I'm not a high roller with tons of cash so my Bimmer collection is pretty modest.

1989 730 with 300k miles. Black with polished bimmer wheels. Nice car to drive.

1994 740 iL with 140K miles. White with BBS rims. Super nice car but......

My problem :

1994 740 iL with the 4.0 V-8...I bought the car from a young guy who was moving out of Las Vegas. The price was right but the car had a problem.

It would crank and start and idle just fine but if you pushed the accelerator too fast the engine would stall. If you pressed the accelorator VERY slowly you could get the engine to reach 5000 rpm........but it would stall out and die if you tried to accelerate just a hair too fast... It made the car pretty much impossible to drive on the street.

The seller had a service receipt from the local BMW dealer saying the diagnosis for the problem was bad O2 sensors. No problem, I thought. I very carefully drove the car home at 15 mph.

I replaced both of the 02 sensors with new ones the very next day......same problem.

I replaced the throttle position sensor.......same problem

I suspected a plugged cat converter so I dropped the down pipes and tested the car......same problem

I then ran short on time so I took the car to a reputable repair shop. The car had two codes : mass air flow sensor issue and crank sensor issue.

I replaced the mass airflow system......same problem

I cleaned the battery cables and reset the computer....same problem

I'm currently waiting on a crank sensor BUT I'm starting to get tired of throwing $$ and parts at this problem without truly knowing what will fix it.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to fix this car?

I really appreciate your time and Thank You in advance for any help you might have to offer!

Sincerely,

John H

halter@mtintouch.net
Ads by Google
Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 740il
Just curious what you found and/or how you solved this.

I'm in virtually the same boat:
Car ran rough, and very frequently I had to baby the accelerator to get it up to speed.

I reset the computer, replace the plugs, and replaced the main v-belt (it was in need, but it didn't seem related to the issue).

When I finished I figured it would start and run great (after the re-learn period following the computer reset).

The first start was VERY rough, and it made a sound like it throwing-up out of the air intake...ruh-roh.

It died, I tried to re-start....nothing, not a single cyclinder is firing. It SEEMS like there is fresh fuel on all the plugs, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm cleaning now.

I checked the crankshaft speed / position sensor - it reads 504 ohms. I'm hoping it's the problem, but waiting on the part right now.

Since ordering I've read a lot of stuff about the measurement of the sensor - the manual says it should be 1240 ohms - but many say a new sensor reads 540...

Not sure what to check now, or what to replace!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: Lotsa 7 series! E38 Fan!
I bought a parts car of the same year and we are currently trying to fix the first car.....with no luck.

Swapping parts out but when we start the car it is always the same problem........
Old 08-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
I'm pretty sure that the only thing that should be throwing a crank sensor code, is the crank sensor. If it's going bad, then that could be the cause of your issues, so I'd start with that.

Just cleaning the MAF is not always guaranteed to fix it, and if you swapped the MAF with the one from the parts car, there is no way to be sure that the MAF on the parts car was good to begin with (unless the engine on the parts car runs good).
Old 09-17-2010, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 95 745I
Hello, I also have a close to your problem with my 95 740i. I have o2 sensors on order. Cleaned the maf with no help. I believe it could be a vacuum leak but tried everything to check for one but have not found one yet. What else have you done?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 95 745I
Just replaced the cats yesterday and that solved the problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp