Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 535i v8
Transmission failsafe tcm problem

Just bought a 535 steptronic on a 1997...it drove home 150 miles without a problem, until there was alot of backed up traffic, so i had to give a stern braking an felt a jolt then it went into transmission failsafe, but hasnt gave engine warning light.

After stopping at the services turned engine off an on and fault went. It had been ok for a full day of driving, now its started goin into failsafe everytime i try to put my foot down from standstill, or if i brake sharply, or if i goto pull off on corner. Now it delays when put into drive almost doesnt change until u rev it then it jolts into gear and again it goes into failsafe.

I am absolutley gutted, any ideas please help lol

Oh an forgot to mention radiator just popped on me 20 mins ago after goin the shop haha...im not off to a good start!!
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 1997 528i
Have you had the transmission oil level check?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 AM

As in the gear box fluid, will there be a dipstick in the gearbox? Or do u mean the black transmission resevoir under the bonnet (think maybe thats power steering fluid) or with the box share the fluid? Like the way a manual clutch shares brake fluid?

Old 07-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: e39 1997 528i
The ATF on the transmission. Go to best link on how to check transmission fluid level. For you yr and model

Old 07-12-2014, 01:40 AM

I cant seem to find any links anywere on a 535 though...the car has just over a 100000 on the clock, i did drop some of the transmission fluid out the box, and it looked black like its been cooked, not even a hint of ruby red as it should.

Think im going to change the fluid, see how i go...when reading up it says you should never change "ALL" of the fluid, but this is cooked that much, its horrid!! know-one in their right mind would put it in. I will attach the picture of the sticker on my box. Does anyone know what type of oil it is? Or were i can source this other than bmw?

When they say you should never totally change it all, and only top it up, does anyone know why this is? Will it harm the car if i do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	451282  
Old 07-12-2014, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay87 View Post
I cant seem to find any links anywere on a 535 though...the car has just over a 100000 on the clock, i did drop some of the transmission fluid out the box, and it looked black like its been cooked, not even a hint of ruby red as it should.

Think im going to change the fluid, see how i go...when reading up it says you should never change "ALL" of the fluid, but this is cooked that much, its horrid!! know-one in their right mind would put it in. I will attach the picture of the sticker on my box. Does anyone know what type of oil it is? Or were i can source this other than bmw?

When they say you should never totally change it all, and only top it up, does anyone know why this is? Will it harm the car if i do?
Because most are clueless when it comes to the auto trans

Yes you should change the fluid and the filter and then put new correct fluid back into it.

Refilling on these are like filling a manual trans level wise. You add fluid till it flow back out the fill hole. The trick is to remember to do this with the transmission running. I normally will fill it then put the fill bolt back in. Keep it running for 10 min at least then remove the fill plug and top it off again.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
These comprehensive threads on fluids may help:
- MTF: Manual transmission fluid (1) (2) & manual transmission fluid-change DIYs (1) (2) (3)
- ATF: Automatic transmission fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) & automatic transmission fluid & filter DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & torque values (1) & how to find the hidden E39 transmission fluid level dipstick (1) & why ATF gushes out of the fill hole (1) & ZF 5HP19 facts (1)

See also:
- One user's TFP TRANS FAILSAFE PROG automatic transmission TPF experience stuck in limp mode (1) & how others tested & resolved transmission "Trans Failsafe Program", aka "Limp Mode" (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
FYI, the OP opened what appears to be a duplicate thread just now ...
Transmission fluid change...e39 535
Quote:
Hi guys i have an e39 535i, with the dreaded trans fail safe, holding in gear to long, sometimes not selecting gear...i have dropped some trans fluid and its black and really crappy.

So ive decided to service the transmission...anybody know what the type of transmission oil this bmw part number code is and what type of gearbox it is?? Attachment 451752
Quote:
And also, how many litres the box will take?

Didn't we already give you the detailed answer to both those questions in your duplicate thread on the subject?
- Transmission failsafe tcm problem
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need