Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
'97 Z3 2.8 Alarm connector location.

Hi All,

I've just spent about 2-3 hours looking for the prewired 12-pin alarm connector behind the glovebox but was unable to find it.

I even looked at the driver side and a bunch of connectors in the middle console.

Is there a way of checking wether or not the car is prewired at all ?

I found a green/blue connecto taped up to a cable harness, but that clearly isn't the one I'm looking for.

Any suggestions concerning the exact location ?

Can I unplug/plug all connectors behind the glovebox without triggering any warning lights ?

I am trying to install a UAS alarm which should plug into this connector without addiional wiring etc.

Thanks in advance four your help !!

Peter
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
postalZ3 postalZ3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 386
Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8
Look in the trunk, the plugs that hold the liner in place above the light, some of them will have printed what's the car is pre-wire for. At least my 2000 does
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/JMjPR.jpg border=0 alt= />
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 AM
EOD Guy's Avatar
EOD Guy EOD Guy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Harvest, AL
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 783
Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
As you are looking at the mess of wires/boxes/connectors from the pass seat, it shpould be on the upper left side, wrapped with that grey foam tape and taped to a metal support bracket. I had a hard time finding it and ended up feeling it etc...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2010, 02:40 AM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
Thumbs up '97 Z3 2.8 Alarm connector location and installation.

Thanks guys,

I've just spent more time looking for the elusive connector but haven't been able to find it.
Short from taking apart the whole assembly behind the glovebox Idon't think I'll find it there.

Someone seems to have done some rewiring in this car.
Why do I think that ?

Well for starters the seat heating switches aren't located in the front console but between the seats in the back of the center console.
There's another connector there, which was wrapped in the mentioned grey foam.
Looks like an exact copy of the one for the airco and recirculation switch but is wired differently. Hope I didn't blow a fuse when I tried the mentioned switches in there.

Secondly the installed Traffic Pro should have been installed by using the standard BMW connector for the AUDIO, but one wire has been cut and rerouted to somewhere inside the drivers footwell and another one goes up to the instrument cluster....
No idea where or why though.... One of them is the GAL sensor that's for sure but that information should haven been available on the Audio connector right ?

The connectors for the hood switch and the radio switch are there but the one for the siren I haven't located yet. The first two lead me to believe the car is partially wired for an alarm, but the absence of the siren connector might be a contra indication for that ?

Guess I'll have to do the wiring by hand and not use the connector supplied.
All connections apart from the siren are located behind the glovebox and inside the driver well so it's a hassle but doable I guess......
But first I'll have another look around both the driver and passenger well. It might heav been relocated by the previous owner if he did do some serious rewiring.

Have sent UAS an email requesting their help, but they are on holiday till monday....

Thanks for the help sofar..... I'll let you know how things pan out in the end.....

Any other suggestions on installing the alarm (Location of wires and alike) or locating the connector somewhere else are welcome off course.

Greetxn Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
As you are looking at the mess of wires/boxes/connectors from the pass seat, it shpould be on the upper left side, wrapped with that grey foam tape and taped to a metal support bracket. I had a hard time finding it and ended up feeling it etc...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 AM
WileECoyote's Avatar
WileECoyote WileECoyote is offline
Needs more cowbell
Location: Schmocation
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,539
Send a message via AIM to WileECoyote
Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
Over at Z3ers.com, there's a writeup on installing an Ungo Alarm, complete with pictures (around page 6) that should help you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:29 AM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalZ3 View Post
Look in the trunk, the plugs that hold the liner in place above the light, some of them will have printed what's the car is pre-wire for. At least my 2000 does
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately my '97 Z3 doesn't have stickers there...

Maybe somewhere else, anyone ?

Greetxn Peter
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:32 AM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Over at Z3ers.com, there's a writeup on installing an Ungo Alarm, complete with pictures (around page 6) that should help you.
Thanks for the link, but I already found that one.

It might help me with the splicing since they also mention the cable colours in the BMW harness.
But I would gladly avoid that and be able to use the connector if I'll ever find it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2010, 06:39 AM
wildag's Avatar
wildag wildag is offline
///M 'n it up!
Location: Reston, VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,680
Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Only US cars are prewired for the factory alarm. Your car doesn't have the alarm harness.

I'd suggest getting an aftermarket alarm.
__________________

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-09-2010, 01:39 PM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Only US cars are prewired for the factory alarm. Your car doesn't have the alarm harness.

I'd suggest getting an aftermarket alarm.
Thanks for the confirmation.

It is a european car that's for sure...
Any idea why the US cars are prewired and the europeans aren't ?
As far as I know they're all produced in the USA.

I'd already given up on finding the connector and am trying to figure the right splice points behind the glovebox.

So far I've been able to track all connections down right behind the glovebox and the driver's footwell, including possible sources of power.
I have an aftermarket alarm from UAS but that is supplied with a BMW style connector, so I am thinking of keeping that and trying to get the right connector from BMW stealer.
If that's too expensive I'll just cutoff the connector from the alarm harness and try and make a nice job of the splicing anyway.
There are a bunch of those orange splicing monsters supplied with the alarm, but I don't like the look of a lot of them somewher behind the existing connectors.

The connectors I'd have to disconnected seem OK by me without getting any engine warning lights etc.
And the prewiring is just that, a bunch off wires and nothing else...

But I'm not looking forward to the job itself to be honest, since it might end up being a mess of wires, however hard I try to avoid that.

Greexn Peter

Last edited by pjecremers; 05-09-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 PM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjecremers View Post
Thanks guys,

I've just spent more time looking for the elusive connector but haven't been able to find it.
Short from taking apart the whole assembly behind the glovebox Idon't think I'll find it there.

Someone seems to have done some rewiring in this car.
Why do I think that ?

Well for starters the seat heating switches aren't located in the front console but between the seats in the back of the center console.
There's another connector there, which was wrapped in the mentioned grey foam.
Looks like an exact copy of the one for the airco and recirculation switch but is wired differently. Hope I didn't blow a fuse when I tried the mentioned switches in there.

Secondly the installed Traffic Pro should have been installed by using the standard BMW connector for the AUDIO, but one wire has been cut and rerouted to somewhere inside the drivers footwell and another one goes up to the instrument cluster....
No idea where or why though.... One of them is the GAL sensor that's for sure but that information should haven been available on the Audio connector right ?

The connectors for the hood switch and the radio switch are there but the one for the siren I haven't located yet. The first two lead me to believe the car is partially wired for an alarm, but the absence of the siren connector might be a contra indication for that ?

Guess I'll have to do the wiring by hand and not use the connector supplied.
All connections apart from the siren are located behind the glovebox and inside the driver well so it's a hassle but doable I guess......
But first I'll have another look around both the driver and passenger well. It might heav been relocated by the previous owner if he did do some serious rewiring.

Have sent UAS an email requesting their help, but they are on holiday till monday....

Thanks for the help sofar..... I'll let you know how things pan out in the end.....

Any other suggestions on installing the alarm (Location of wires and alike) or locating the connector somewhere else are welcome off course.

Greetxn Peter
I've been looking at the electrical diagrams and the forementioned blue connector behind the glovebox and the foamwrapped one inbetween the seats are the Tempomat (Cruise control) connector and the Rear Defogger switch respectively.

I kind of miss the cruise control on this car, so that knowledge might come in handy whenever I get around to doing that job too. Naahhhhhh.

And the lcation for the seat heater switches seems to be the correct one for this car, ooooppppssss.
Most of the pictures I'd seen sofar had been with the heaterswitches in the front.
Which is more ergonomical in my opinion, I always have to look back down to switch the seatheater on or off.
But one might get used to it in time, if one would drive more in wintertime I guess.

Greetxn Peter
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 PM
johnf's Avatar
johnf johnf is offline
John Firestone
Location: Bremerhaven, Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,522
Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjecremers View Post
Thanks for the confirmation.

It is a european car that's for sure...
Any idea why the US cars are prewired and the europeans aren't ?
As far as I know they're all produced in the USA.
BMWNA chose to have their dealers install a BMW-labeled, Alpine alarm system rather than the ZKE-based system that was installed and wired at the factory. The U.S. pre-wiring helps their dealers with the installation after they missed the chance to add an alarm while the car was still incomplete and open.

Last edited by johnf; 05-09-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
EOD Guy's Avatar
EOD Guy EOD Guy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Harvest, AL
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 783
Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
If You end up cutting the BMW connector off, I'd be intrested in it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 AM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf View Post
BMWNA chose to have their dealers install a BMW-labeled, Alpine alarm system rather than the ZKE-based system that was installed and wired at the factory. The U.S. pre-wiring helps their dealers with the installation after they missed the chance to add an alarm while the car was still incomplete and open.
Too bad the europeans didn't follow suit.

Would have made my life easier that's for sure.
They'd rather charge their customers 2-3 hours of installation than really help them enjoying their car.

Greetxn Peter
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 PM
rjcoston's Avatar
rjcoston rjcoston is offline
///M Practical
Location: Boise, ID
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 857
Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
Here's a picture of the location of the alarm module behind the glove box of a US Z3, from Ron Stygar's website.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/int...ol_module.html
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-14-2010, 03:17 PM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
Thumbs up Alarm install finished, almost ready to go....

I've just completed the installation after having found a German site with more electrical diagrams, including one for the 1998 model.
They keep calling my purple connector yellow, whereas it certainly isn't, but the wire colors are in line with the colors on my purple connector.

Furthermore the same site had an alarm install DIY with the purple connector.
This one regulates amongst other things the central locking and I was able to confirm that the necessary pins where the ones I needed for the installation.

So there are some differences between the 1997 electrical diagram and my Z3 and I hoped to have some luck with the connection for the flashing of the hazard lights whenever the alarm was being armed etc.
But it seems this 1998 diagram does have the same wire colors as I found in my car, but not all functionality is present in my car it seems.
So I'll probably have to pull a wire from the left hand side of the car to the right hand side to get that working too, helas.........

But hey, the installation went slow but OK, I didn't break anything or blow some fuse or worse : some module.
Better safe than sorry, I say........

The alarm seems to work and most importantly :

I've now got remote control on the locks of my 1997 Z3 with some decent FOB's and not the hideous BMW/Alpine blocks.

(Apologies to all the proud owners of an Alpine alarm,but I don't like the 70's look of those things and probably would have changed the alarm if one had been builtin when I bought the car.)

Greetxn Peter
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-14-2010, 04:14 PM
EOD Guy's Avatar
EOD Guy EOD Guy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Harvest, AL
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 783
Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
You might try tapping into the hazard/flasher switch, it's a mechanical on/off.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-15-2010, 05:35 AM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
You might try tapping into the hazard/flasher switch, it's a mechanical on/off.
Hi Guy,

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately the output of the alarm is a 12V supply not a connection to ground, which is what the hazard switch does I think.

But I did find out why it isn't working anyway........

First of all the alarm switched the wrong output on/off.
The one going to the connector is only switched when the (additional wire) auxilary output should be triggered and vice versa.
Thankfully I'm a nosy electrical engineer and I checked the wiring harness beforehand or otherwise I would have been looking for that one for some time I guess.

I had soldered everything up underneath the dash and have the resulting neckache to show for it
I didn't want to do that again so I simply switched the two pins on the alarmconnector. EasyPeasy......
Both wirecolors on that connector are the same orange so it's an easy to make/understandable error in production, but I'll still send UAS an e-mail. The last one I sent hasn't been answered yet but hey you never know......

But the flashers still didn't work when arming the alarm. The alarm relais make a lot of noise so I'm certain it's sending the right signal on the right wire now.

After that I checked the driver's footwell for the crash control module.
There are only two relais there i.s.o. three and one of them looks like the module in the pictures but it only has 4 pins i.s.o. 8 or 9 so........
Turns out it's a cheap version that only bridges certain pins.
Maybe that's why the desigantion on it says : Siemens Bridge connector right........

Looking further on the net and realoem.com I gather that not all cars in Europe were fitted with this important safety device but can be retrofitted.
All the cabling needed is there.
Trust me............ I checked to see if my alarm is connected to the right pin.

To make a long story a little bit shorter I'll probably spent some $50-$60 on getting one which should make life a little bit safer and the installation a complete succes.
Should be simply replacing the bridge and hey presto falshing when arming works as well..
With the added benefit of unlocking the doors etc. in the event of a crash which hopefully never happen..

Will keep you all posted on the progress.

But it being a Saturday here and the fact that garages don't work on Saturday's I'll have to postpone buying it till monday.
And they'll probably have to order it for me.

Greetxn Peter

PS. Still wondering where the third relay went. Will try to figure that one out next I guess. Should be either the fuel pump relay or the high beam relay.

Last edited by pjecremers; 05-15-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-15-2010, 07:39 PM
EOD Guy's Avatar
EOD Guy EOD Guy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Harvest, AL
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 783
Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
I added a door lock/unlock - hazard switch from an X5 in place of the mechanical haz switch that comes OEM on our Z's. I placed a true flip flop relay/switch under the console, gutted and rewired the haz side of the X5 switch for a momentary ON function. The flip flop switch on recieving a 12v pulse, flops and stays flopped until it recieves another 12v pulse etc........ works well. I hooked the lock/unlock side up to pin 19 (I think) on the General module (Ron Stygar's mod) so now I have a trick Haz flasher / door unlock switch.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Jos B Jos B is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: BMW Z3
How did you do it Peter ?

Hi Peter,

I was hoping to add a remote keyless entry to my Z3 1.9 (1996) but only found a yellow and light blue connector behind the glove compartment.

So no alarm connector as well for me...

Hopefully you can help me to indentify the right wires to use, as my quest over the internet only lead to a lot of contradictionary results.

Thx in advance.

Jos Beenen
(Netherlands/Eindhoven)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 AM
pjecremers pjecremers is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.8 Widebody
Lightbulb Alarm installation : How did I do it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos B View Post
Hi Peter,

I was hoping to add a remote keyless entry to my Z3 1.9 (1996) but only found a yellow and light blue connector behind the glove compartment.

So no alarm connector as well for me...

Hopefully you can help me to indentify the right wires to use, as my quest over the internet only lead to a lot of contradictionary results.

Thx in advance.

Jos Beenen
(Netherlands/Eindhoven)
Hi Jos,

First of all, you should have more connectors in there, but I guess you're implying those are the only ones that are not connected.
The blue one is the pre-wiring for the cruise control module and the yellow one I'm not sure about, kind of depends on the number of pins.
But could be ASC+T which is what I've got un my 2.8 as standard and the 1.9 lacks as far as I know.....

And as I stated earlier, the alarm pre-wiring is only available on US models....

The connectors needed are connected mainly to the GM module or ZKE module. So be prepared to take out this module, but it's not that hard.

One more warning : The central locking module for the BMW is kind of specific, so make sure you get a unit that's made for the BMW 3-series or the Z3 specifically.
The BMW electronics are +12V sensitive, whereas most central locking units are GND driven, so they switch to ground i.s.o. +12V.
You probably won't break anything but it will not work without using additional relays, diodes and wiring.
I'm an electrical engineer, but didn't fancy that myself, hence the american import from UAS through Aruba.......

I was going to post the wiring scheme I figured out anyway, so I've attached my excell file converted to PDF.
The wires/pins I used are marked in green, the other ones could be used but these made more sense to me.......
Watch the connector colors and the number of pins it can get confusing, especially with the yellow and balck ones.

The two colored connectors from the ZKE are located at the front of the module and are easy to reach and disconnect.
Push back the locking lip and flip the lock itself back around the connector and it will unseat itself.

The black one with 18 pins is located at the back of the module and that's why you probably have to take it out if you need the +12V acc connection.
Which might not be necessary when all you want is remote locking.
The other connection I made on this connector was for the flashing of the hazards lights when arming/disarming the alarm, but I haven't got that working (yet...)
The crash alarm module I bought and installed didn't solve that for me and even if it had it would flash the headlights, not the hazard lights.....

There are some differences between the 1.9 an 2.8 I've got, but it shouldn't affect the connnections I've used.
One remark though, as of april 97 the wiring loom for the 2.8 (and probably the 1.9 too) is different than the one for the models before, so make sure the colors and the pins match exactly.

Good luck and let me know how you fared with this.

If you PM your details to me I'll be happy to help you further along if you get stuck.....

Greetxn Peter.

PS. If I went overboard with the explenations keep in mind I answered for the benefit of other forum members too.....
And they might just be a novice like me when I started on this unexpected journey after not being able to locate the alarm connector
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alarm installatie connectors.pdf (141.8 KB, 323 views)

Last edited by pjecremers; 05-30-2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling errors
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 AM
Gumi Gumi is offline
Registered User
Location: Romania
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: E36
hi I have E36 sedan 1998 whit alarm in Zkv modul, the alarm pre-wiring at factory, when i buy this car it has funktion just the central lockin system, and i reprogramed the key whit locking unlocking button, and interior light button, but the hazard lights not flashing, and if i hold the lock button and the front windows not closed, i hold the buton but do anyting.
Please help me
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
alarm, connector, z3


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms