Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 PM
525i

Mein Auto: bmw 5series 525i
why why why

can any one help me when i disconnect the air mass sensor my car seems to run better and with more power why would this happen. because i dnt want to leave it unplugged as i like to have all wires in the right places as that's how problems start well that's what i've been told
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i
Usually it means the computer reverts to a baseline setting and uses preprogrammed safe factors to run on. Certainly the CEL is on.
As always, check mechanicals first. In this case look at all of your boots and hoses, to include hidden little vacuum hoses. I didnt catch your model there, but look at PCV hoses (some run to dipstick tube)
Little bellows like to crack. Buy two of them so you have on the shelf.
I keep a cheap Code reader to reset the CEL. Only replace MAF after assuring all vacuum leaks are fixed. I would even clean the MAF first.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: DINAN 540
why why why

If you have the bentley manuals and a multimeter you can test your MAF to see if that is the problem. Having extra vacuum hoses is also a good idea.

Dinan F&R strut tower brace, M5 F&R sway bars, Koni Sports, Eibach springs, Powerflex polyurethane bushings, Dinan stage 2 engine software, Stage 1 trans software, Zionsville cooling kit, resonator delete, Dinan exhaust, Dinan throttle body, AFE cai, 18' style 5's, 235/40/18 275/35/18, Ultimate cup holders, rear cup holder delete/coin holder, Hella taillights, clear sides, Depo AE, M5 lip spoiler,
Old 02-18-2014, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Probably runs better because your MAF is starting to fail. Usually when the DME reverts to the preprogrammed values it doesn't run quite as well and will have less power.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 PM

Always check mechanicals first. Unmetered air will cause poor running and incorrect airflow values. Unplugging the MAF in the case of an air leak will totally remove an incorrect value and cause improved running. If you have a Bently manual, by all means measure values.
You know how the Dr does a head to toe exam no matter what you visit for? Do that for your Baby.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
test test test...
Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 AM
525i

thanks for all the information been on it all day an found a crack in one of the air pipes goin at weekend and will get the code reset after fitting part sorry didnt say what car i ad 525i auto 01 plate thanks again
Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 AM
525i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightmedic View Post
Usually it means the computer reverts to a baseline setting and uses preprogrammed safe factors to run on. Certainly the CEL is on.
As always, check mechanicals first. In this case look at all of your boots and hoses, to include hidden little vacuum hoses. I didnt catch your model there, but look at PCV hoses (some run to dipstick tube)
Little bellows like to crack. Buy two of them so you have on the shelf.
I keep a cheap Code reader to reset the CEL. Only replace MAF after assuring all vacuum leaks are fixed. I would even clean the MAF first.

thanks for info found a small crack in air pipe soory i didnt say what i drive its a 525i auto 01 plate thanks again
Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 AM
One wheel roaster

Mein Auto: 1999 bmw 528i
Can someone post the procedure to test the maf. That would be great.

1999 528i sport premium, 18" e38 m-pars, tinted rear windows, blacked side markers, muffler removed with dc exhaust tip, Quantum QZA 3100D mono block, 2 12" Audiobahn aw121t, eclipse EA4000 4 channel amp, Rockford Fosgate door speakers.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:23 PM

That elbow at the Throttle body cracks at the small boot. While there, find that little tiny vac hose under the back of the manifold that supplies the EGR valve, note the direction of the check valve and replace that.
Also, while the air box and boots are off, follow the dipstick tube down, find the rubber hose on the "Y" above that and replace that hose.
You should be about $45 total, plus a quality beer.
Also, its time to do a repair kit on the DISA valve. (the black box on the manifold) Research that too, easy fix but makes huge difference.
Buying a $59 code reader to keep in the car will make your life easier....

Old 02-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightmedic View Post
That elbow at the Throttle body cracks at the small boot. While there, find that little tiny vac hose under the back of the manifold that supplies the EGR valve, note the direction of the check valve and replace that.
Also, while the air box and boots are off, follow the dipstick tube down, find the rubber hose on the "Y" above that and replace that hose.
You should be about $45 total, plus a quality beer.
Also, its time to do a repair kit on the DISA valve. (the black box on the manifold) Research that too, easy fix but makes huge difference.
Buying a $59 code reader to keep in the car will make your life easier....

Do they have OBD-II in Europe, with the dashboard connector?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
if it runs better disconected usually means it is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by spong007 View Post
can any one help me when i disconnect the air mass sensor my car seems to run better and with more power why would this happen. because i dnt want to leave it unplugged as i like to have all wires in the right places as that's how problems start well that's what i've been told
buy a new one
Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: (E39) 2001 530iA M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Do they have OBD-II in Europe, with the dashboard connector?
Yes. Why do you ask?