Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 11-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jeff330i
Mein Auto: '02 330i ZJC
i added 7.5 quarts of oil... (m)

well during my oil change I added 6 quarts total of oil. I then checked the oil level and it was fine. I checked for leaks, let the car idle and drove it around for a bit. Then the oil was WAY low. So i added a half a quart that i had sitting around, and the oil level was still lower than the indicator block on the stick. I got a ride to the dealership, picked up another few quarts, got back, and then drove the car around the block a few times, and then added ANOTHER quart (now at 7.5 quarts). However, the oil level on the stick was right in the middle of the block... I drove around the town a little running errands and then got back to the parking lot and now the oil level is maybe a milimeter above the block... Is there too much oil in the engine?? How come when i read the oil level its so different all the time, do i have to let the car cool back down a little? I don't have an extractor so what can i do if there's too much?

ALSO: my engine makes a fast ticking sound very audible when the hood is up. It made this sound when i was low on oil and it continues to do so after i have too much oil. Is this fast ticking normal? i do not remember it before.

PS: car was on level ground each time oil was checked, and there are no puddles of oil on the ground

Last edited by jeff330i; 11-07-2003 at 11:52 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2003, 11:56 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
7.5 sounds about right. That's how much I put in when I changed my oil too.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 11-08-2003, 12:00 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Sounds like way too much to me. I've never put in more than 6.5, and my oil level is ALWAYS at the top line. Remember, when you check the oil when the car has just been run, a bunch of it is still sitting up in the head and other passages, so it'll read lower than if it had sat for a while.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Sounds like way too much to me. I've never put in more than 6.5, and my oil level is ALWAYS at the top line. Remember, when you check the oil when the car has just been run, a bunch of it is still sitting up in the head and other passages, so it'll read lower than if it had sat for a while.
hmm you're right.. i let the car sit for 30 minutes and checked again and now the oil is above the measuring block, above the little notch, and about 1 mm onto the top rectangular part. way above the max indicator.

**any idea how i can get some of it out?? keep in mind i don't have one of those nifty oil extractors... yet..

PS: engine still makes that loud, fast tick when the hood's up. any ideas what it could be? is it normal?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Come to think of it... my last oil change, I put in 6.... then ran the engine a little to get the oil sucked up into the filter housing and stuff... then let it settle and added 1 more to make 7 even....

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 11-08-2003, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff330i
hmm you're right.. i let the car sit for 30 minutes and checked again and now the oil is above the measuring block, above the little notch, and about 1 mm onto the top rectangular part. way above the max indicator.

**any idea how i can get some of it out?? keep in mind i don't have one of those nifty oil extractors... yet..

PS: engine still makes that loud, fast tick when the hood's up. any ideas what it could be? is it normal?
Time to buy an oil extractor then I guess eh? or get a long narrow tube and a turkey baster and suck out little bits of oil till you have enough out?

See if you can localize where it's coming from. Mdk330 is getting some similar noise too but his seems to be coming from one of his fans.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 11-08-2003, 05:26 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
At least on the E46 M3 there is a definate way to check the oil. Run at idle for at least 15 seconds. Shut down. Then wait eactly 60 seconds, then check oil.

Waiting more or less time will throw the reading off.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 11-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
It's common to run 1 qt over the top mark in these engines for autox/track, a tick over is much ado about nothing

I can assure you it has nothing to do with the ticking

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 11-08-2003, 07:51 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Using an oil extractor, it takes out 7 quarts(with filter) and I add 7 quarts to bring it back up to level.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:39 AM
Im here

Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
as per bmw, run engine till warm then shut down wait 5 minutes then check, oil should be between the two lines
Old 11-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Jeff, I would not worry about an extra half quart of oil. Just drive the engine hard for a little while and you'll burn that extra oil!
Old 11-08-2003, 04:36 PM

i just pulled out one quart and now its all good.

first i went to a pet supplies store and got some aquarium tubing and a long, narrow plastic pipe and connected the platic pipe to the rubber tube. I stuck my creation down the dipstic tube and started to siphon. Yeah, it worked, but at about one drop every 10 seconds...
So then i go to home depot, and pick up a big tube. Its about maybe 3/8 inch diameter outside, about 1/4 inch diameter inside. It was like 3 bucks for 15 feet. I got back to my lot and began my siphon into a discarded oil bottle. Took about 30-45 minutes, but it went pretty smoothly.

Tick is still there, and its coming from the engine, not the fan. The tick speeds up when i tap the gas. any ideas?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Quote:

Tick is still there, and its coming from the engine, not the fan. The tick speeds up when i tap the gas. any ideas?
Come by HACK's shack tomorrow and we'll take a look at it.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:13 PM
blubb blubb blubb

Mein Auto: '01 325xi & '93 325is
Quote:
keep in mind i don't have one of those nifty oil extractors... yet..
I do have one of those extracters. It's great. Changing the oil is really easy and not messy. Worth every penny.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
7.5 sounds about right. That's how much I put in when I changed my oil too.
Same here.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:28 PM
blubb blubb blubb

Mein Auto: '01 325xi & '93 325is
If I remember this correctly... Most 325's and 330's have about 7.2 quarts of oil. Except for the 325xi and 330xi which have 7.9. I don't have my manual here, but I think it says in there that the xi's hold a little more oil.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: '03 325i, '88 325iC
My 2 cents

I just did my first oil change over the weekend, and I used the MityVac. I made note of where the oil level was on the dipstick, then sucked out the oil (looked like about 6.5 liters), changed the filter and then added 7 quarts of Mobil 1. Took it for a quick ride and let it sit. When I checked the oil, it was exactly at the same level as before.

So, according to my observation, my 325i takes 7 quarts of oil in a full oil/filter change.

And, boy, is that MityVac easy to use!
Old 11-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_325i
I just did my first oil change over the weekend, and I used the MityVac. I made note of where the oil level was on the dipstick, then sucked out the oil (looked like about 6.5 liters), changed the filter and then added 7 quarts of Mobil 1. Took it for a quick ride and let it sit. When I checked the oil, it was exactly at the same level as before.

So, according to my observation, my 325i takes 7 quarts of oil in a full oil/filter change.

And, boy, is that MityVac easy to use!
We must be on the same wavelength...I did my first MityVac oil change this weekend as well Your right, it is easy to use!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wrwicky
Mein Auto: Max Von Zhipper
From the 03 e46 Manual
Engine oil and filter change quarts/liters 320i, 325i, 330i:
approx. 6.9/6.5
325xi, 330xi:
approx. 6.6/6.2
BMW High Performance
Synthetic Oil
My car has always happily accepted 7.0 qts during each change. That places my oil at the bottom of the upper notch of the dipstick (fully serviced as far as I can tell, but who knows since even experienced BMW owners can't agree on what the various marks mean on the new dipstick)
Old 11-20-2003, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
A ticking sound that speeds up w/ the engine revving is most likely coming from the valves. Maybe there's something wrong w/ the hydralic valve adjustment.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:43 AM

dealer told me that the ticking was from the fuel injectors? It is quite a loud tick and i definitely don't remember it from before. should i bring it to another dealer?
Old 11-23-2003, 07:04 AM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Quote:
dealer told me that the ticking was from the fuel injectors? It is quite a loud tick and i definitely don't remember it from before. should i bring it to another dealer?
It can be the injectors, but it shouldn't be something loud enough that you can hear from inside the cabin.

If you aren't sure it is normal, just visit your local dealer and ask them if you can hear a vehicle like yours run. Pop the hood and see if you hear the same noise. If it doesn't make the noise, have them fix it. They can't argue the (they all do that) thing.