Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
P1423,p1421,p1510,p1470

I just drove 2000+ miles from New Jersey in my 2000 323i. No problems whatsoever. Started fine, idle fine, drove fine, good gas-mileage (~29mpg) no oil-consumption.
However: my fuel-gauge got stuck at zero and the "service engine soon'" light turned on just before leaving and did not turn off as happened before.
Went to-day to Autozone and got codes P1421,P1423,P1470,P1510
Looked them up and have a hard time thinking I have any of the problems that these codes say that I have.
I do have a slight leak ( more like a seepage) in my VCG. Any comments appreciated.

Last edited by relhoks; 05-07-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: new evidence
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 PM

I just discovered that the thin vacuum(?) line going to the valve(?) sitting below and aside from the air-pump was broken. It was very dry and brittle. Could it be the source of some of the codes?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:27 PM

The vacuum line I found comes from the rear of the engine. It is very dry and brittle. But there is a soft piece of hose coming from the valve but not connected to anything. It is a little wider at the end and the dry hose fitted in there perfectly. Seems someone did a supposedly temporary fix that survived until recently. Maybe I broke it when I replaced the windshield water pump??
I do not really know what I am doing so I ask for any comment and help.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by relhoks View Post
The vacuum line I found comes from the rear of the engine. It is very dry and brittle. But there is a soft piece of hose coming from the valve but not connected to anything. It is a little wider at the end and the dry hose fitted in there perfectly. Seems someone did a supposedly temporary fix that survived until recently. Maybe I broke it when I replaced the windshield water pump??
I do not really know what I am doing so I ask for any comment and help.
The broken vacuum line is most certainly the reason for the 1421 and 1423 codes. I am not sure about the other codes. Let me look.....

1510 code is your idle control valve stuck open. It is not too hard to remove and clean, there are DIY's out there that show the process. You can clean it with carb or MAF cleaner and a brush. Should un-stick it, worked for me.

The 1470 code is an evap system code. Could be related to your air pump codes (1421 and 1423). I'd clean the valve, replace that vacuum hose (or re-repair it) and then see which codes come back.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....

Last edited by smolck; 05-08-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Thank you, SMOLCK. I shall follow your advice cleaning the idle control valve. Is that the gadget where the vacuum line connects? Sorry I am rather new in BMW. My idle is however fine always at 700 RPM. When I start the engine it first is a little higher about 1000RPM for only a few seconds.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Thank you, SMOLCK. I shall follow your advice cleaning the idle control valve. Is that the gadget where the vacuum line connects? Sorry I am rather new in BMW. My idle is however fine always at 700 RPM. When I start the engine it first is a little higher about 1000RPM for only a few seconds.
No, the idle control valve is tucked under your manifold just aft of your throttle body. Follow the rubber boots from your MAF and you will find it. It may need to be replaced, but that codes is for a stuck valve so it should free up with some solvent.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 05-09-2010, 12:22 AM

Thank you again for your help. I now found a DIY post for a E36, but I understand it is somewhat similar for the E46. So, if the ICV is open the idle would not be erratic as I see would be one reason for cleaning it.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
The broken vacuum line is most certainly the reason for the 1421 and 1423 codes. I am not sure about the other codes. Let me look.....1510 code is your idle control valve stuck open. It is not too hard to remove and clean, there are DIY's out there that show the process. You can clean it with carb or MAF cleaner and a brush. Should un-stick it, worked for me.

The 1470 code is an evap system code. Could be related to your air pump codes (1421 and 1423). I'd clean the valve, replace that vacuum hose (or re-repair it) and then see which codes come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
WTF, you can clearly see the vacuum line broken and messing up the air intaking resulting in erratic fuel air mixture. But you don't wanna fix that, instead wanna fix the ICV ? Sometime the answers are very obvious, and it just takes a tiny bit of thinking. It will save you plenty of unnecessary work and expense.
Quote:
One should be weary of backyard mechs bearing dumb ideas.
oooookaaaaaaayyy thennn......

df
Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
I just drove 2000+ miles from New Jersey in my 2000 323i. No problems whatsoever. Started fine, idle fine, drove fine, good gas-mileage (~29mpg) no oil-consumption.
However: my fuel-gauge got stuck at zero and the "service engine soon'" light turned on just before leaving and did not turn off as happened before.
Went to-day to Autozone and got codes P1421,P1423,P1470,P1510
Looked them up and have a hard time thinking I have any of the problems that these codes say that I have.
I do have a slight leak ( more like a seepage) in my VCG. Any comments appreciated.
I had the thin vaccuum line next to the air pump come apart and got the P1421 and P1423 codes. Replaced a section of the tubing with vaccuum hose, reset the light and they never returned.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM

SURPRISE. With the vacuum-line connected I went back to Autozone and now only P1421 and P1423 showed. The light was reset and so far has not come back. The P1470 and P1510 must somehow be related to the P1421 and P1423.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:41 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Quote:
SURPRISE. With the vacuum-line connected I went back to Autozone and now only P1421 and P1423 showed. The light was reset and so far has not come back. The P1470 and P1510 must somehow be related to the P1421 and P1423.
great job dude.

yes sometimes one problem leads to several codes being thrown. best way to tackle these problems is to start with the obvious ones or cheapest ones first.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
Thanks for the Info.

I had the same 1423 code on my 97 Z3.

After reading this thread I went to the parts house and got some vacuum hose cleared the code and it has not returned.

Thanks again for some great information.

BK85