Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: X%
The Unbelievable Saga of 2011 X5 50i Delivery Issues

1. So, a week ago Friday (4/30), I get a call from the dealer telling me that they believed that my 2011 X5 50i would be at the dealership and available for pickup on Saturday (5/1).

2. On Saturday, the dealer tells me that the vehicle is not there but he again believes, based on the "system" that it will be there on Monday. He then asks me if I would be willing to come in and process the paperwork so that they can count the sale in April numbers. Since this is the 2nd vehicle I have bought from them, and they have been good to work with, I agree to do this. No skin off my back to do this.

3. I go to the dealership and complete the paperwork. I also asked for verification that the vehicle would in fact be there on Monday. They showed me an online screen which in fact showed my X5 as in transit with delivery expected on Monday.

4. X5 did not arrive on Monday. X5 still not here. The dealer has not been able to even find out where the X5 is. They literally have no idea where it is and can't find anyone who can tell them, or so they say. Now, they're telling me that they don't even have any chance of finding out until Monday.

5. I have told the dealer about the seat module issue. They are unaware of the issue and have never seen the bulletin that was posted on this forum. I am going to send it to them. My X5 would have been built in the weeks that are mentioned in the bulletin. As for online, the online tracking site shows my X5 as having passed the "in transit" stage and being at the "prep center".

I am getting increasingly torqued off with every passing day. I cannot believe that the entire BMW organization/process could be so pathetically inept. How is it even possible in today's day and age that they could not know exactly where a specific vehicle is at all times? I just don't believe that can be the case. I have about had it with these clowns.

Any thoughts? Besides the obvious, that perhaps I've been played and they just don't want to come clean with the truth of what is going on. I don't really think that is the case, since I have seen system information that seems to corroborate the fact that the X5 was shipped but I would not rule anything out at this point.
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Tell them it will cost them $500 a day, otherwise you are contacting BMW and demanding the fraudulent paperwork reflect the true. Negotiate from there.

Doesn't matter if they are lying or the system is misleading them- they've committed fraud at your expense. It should be at their expense.

A
Old 05-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
I hope your warranty in service date doesn't reflect the early delivery date...

Craig
Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 PM

I don't know if it is "fraud" or not. They may have some flexibility on paperwork that I don't know about. In any event, I am getting more steamed about it every day. Major FUBAR in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
If it's a lease or finance, essentially you are paying for the days that you don't even have it to drive. I would demand either reimburstment or a loaner till the X5 arrives.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleinke View Post
I don't know if it is "fraud" or not. They may have some flexibility on paperwork that I don't know about. In any event, I am getting more steamed about it every day. Major FUBAR in my opinion.
Depends on your definition I guess

If the paperwork was so flexible, why do they need YOU to help? One must assume that there is an advantage to them to book a sale in April- and wherever they are receiving this 'advantage' the entity might not like that they've submitted paperwork that is false. In my book this is fraud. Other books it might be more of a "white lie".

Don't let it ruin your purchase- kind of a stressy time, but make sure THEY are the ones that suffer from this FUBAR and not you.

Good Luck!

A
Old 05-09-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
If it's a lease or finance, essentially you are paying for the days that you don't even have it to drive. I would demand either reimburstment or a loaner till the X5 arrives.
You are correct. They are going to have to tear up the paperwork and do it from the date I pick up the car. Otherwise, every day that is beyond May 1st is one day less that I will have the benefit of using the vehicle (it is a lease) and also one day more that I would be paying for something I am not getting. Originally, we were only talking about two days. Now it has become something entirely different. This is getting messier for the dealership.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Depends on your definition I guess

If the paperwork was so flexible, why do they need YOU to help? One must assume that there is an advantage to them to book a sale in April- and wherever they are receiving this 'advantage' the entity might not like that they've submitted paperwork that is false. In my book this is fraud. Other books it might be more of a "white lie".

Don't let it ruin your purchase- kind of a stressy time, but make sure THEY are the ones that suffer from this FUBAR and not you.

Good Luck!

A
I suppose you're more correct than not. They apparently did not have flexibility to do the paperwork on Monday, May3rd. It is probably not something they would like to explain up the chain. I have made it clear to them that there is going to have to be an economic adjustment for this.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x35d
In Transit does not mean it is on a truck coming to your dealer. They should know that. At Prep Center means it is in the impound lot in Spartanburg, SC. Vehicles that made it past a certain point are at prep center waiting for the seat module, and I bet that's where your car is. Call the 1-800# (search bimmerfest for "production status") and talk to someone at BMWNA. They'll know exactly what's going on. Your dealer seems to have very little knowledge of the BMW delivery and tracking process!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x35d
Here's the info, copied form another post:

Call BMW at 800-831-1117. If you put in you order number they will give you real time info. Just say production status when you call. You can also speak to a rep their who will have info for you. You can call every day and the automated info is accurate
Old 05-09-2010, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
jk, pleas let us know how this turned out and what they finally did for you.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSports View Post
In Transit does not mean it is on a truck coming to your dealer. They should know that. At Prep Center means it is in the impound lot in Spartanburg, SC. Vehicles that made it past a certain point are at prep center waiting for the seat module, and I bet that's where your car is. Call the 1-800# (search bimmerfest for "production status") and talk to someone at BMWNA. They'll know exactly what's going on. Your dealer seems to have very little knowledge of the BMW delivery and tracking process!

Forget the online consumer page...

Forget the 1-800 number...

Your dealer has access to dealerspeed.net.... here is the information they can see:

http://www.xoutpost.com/737543-post124.html

You will see at the bottom that it tells them who it will be released to, and when it is released. Demand that they send you a 'screen capture' of the full page.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 09 mini cooper S conv JCW
jkleinke

If your vehicle was built in either week 15 or 16, like mine, then I have bad news for you. I was at my dealer 2 days ago, due to my delay, same as you, waiting for the seat module, and he called his contact in front of me, at the VPC. He was told that my car will not be completed with the seat module until "most likely" end of May. That is because BMW is putting all the seat modules in the new 5 series, due to the new model launch next month. He said that is there priority. So, they are going to let probably 100+ X5's sit for the next 3-4 weeks. I am now not expecting my car until mid June, at best.

I am so fed up with this, and remember, I posted the actual seat campaign memo, that I have written a very long letter to BMW, and am going to send it to every dept I can get to, the CEO if I can. I have been waiting, as some of you know since December, due to the my original delay on the 2010 4.8i I ordered, and now this delay.

BMW obviously could care less about their customers who have had ordered cars, plopped down money, and are waiting for there cars. They would rather build cars for dealer stock. PITIFUL and DISGUSTING!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M
This story is absolutely what I have gone through in the last week...I signed my paper work 5/1 and I am FINALLY picking up the car tomorrow. The reason I had to do the paper work before, and start the lease without the car, was that my co-leasee had to leave town for the next two weeks and wouldn't be available for delivery.

My CA assured me that at the end of my lease he would get me the 10 day grace period to make up for the week I didn't have the car but basically paid for it.

Still, the tracking of orders is HORRIBLE. My dealer couldn't tell me anything half the time...neither could BMW's consumer affiars people that you call.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL101 View Post
This story is absolutely what I have gone through in the last week...I signed my paper work 5/1 and I am FINALLY picking up the car tomorrow. The reason I had to do the paper work before, and start the lease without the car, was that my co-leasee had to leave town for the next two weeks and wouldn't be available for delivery.

My CA assured me that at the end of my lease he would get me the 10 day grace period to make up for the week I didn't have the car but basically paid for it.

Still, the tracking of orders is HORRIBLE. My dealer couldn't tell me anything half the time...neither could BMW's consumer affiars people that you call.
1. Pretty sure they could have had the co-leasee sign in advance and not falsify the date. Documents for deals way bigger than a car are done via fax, fed ex, etc.

2. Get that extension IN WRITING. BEFORE you take the car. I am 100% certain you will not get anything in writing, and once you get the car it is too late. CA knows that he'll be somewhere else when the time comes, or he'll just blame [BMW, Financial Services, his manager, etc] for being unreasonable.

Good luck tomorrow....

A
Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSports View Post
Here's the info, copied form another post:

Call BMW at 800-831-1117. If you put in you order number they will give you real time info. Just say production status when you call. You can also speak to a rep their who will have info for you. You can call every day and the automated info is accurate
Thanks for the number. I called and checked my production number. System said "in transit to the port of exit". I assume this is the SC holding pen which you noted.

Perfectly awful. At this point, I really cannot conclude anything other than my dealership contacts are incompetent or dishonest. Bad, either way.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 VW R32
I am not sure about laws in your state, but in CA I believe that you can void the contract if you haven't taken delivery of the car. You may want to check with someone on that issue.

2013 335i M-Sport, Estoril Blue II, Black Dakota Leather
2008 VW R32 Tornado Red
2008 M3 Sedan 6MT, Jet Black, Black Novillo Leather
2008 135i Vert, Monaco Blue Metallic, Lemon Dakota Leather
2002 E55 AMG, Tectite Gray, Charcoal Nappa Leather
Old 05-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: Ordered BMW 335d & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rans09vert View Post
jkleinke

If your vehicle was built in either week 15 or 16, like mine, then I have bad news for you. I was at my dealer 2 days ago, due to my delay, same as you, waiting for the seat module, and he called his contact in front of me, at the VPC. He was told that my car will not be completed with the seat module until "most likely" end of May. That is because BMW is putting all the seat modules in the new 5 series, due to the new model launch next month. He said that is there priority. So, they are going to let probably 100+ X5's sit for the next 3-4 weeks. I am now not expecting my car until mid June, at best.

I am so fed up with this, and remember, I posted the actual seat campaign memo, that I have written a very long letter to BMW, and am going to send it to every dept I can get to, the CEO if I can. I have been waiting, as some of you know since December, due to the my original delay on the 2010 4.8i I ordered, and now this delay.

BMW obviously could care less about their customers who have had ordered cars, plopped down money, and are waiting for there cars. They would rather build cars for dealer stock. PITIFUL and DISGUSTING!
Does anyone know if these X5's are stored outside or in a large wharehouse at the Port Hueneme VPC? Are the vehicles covered with plastic wrap or in some way protected from the elements?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knechtea View Post
I am not sure about laws in your state, but in CA I believe that you can void the contract if you haven't taken delivery of the car. You may want to check with someone on that issue.
I am sure that I could void it if I decide to do so.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 09 mini cooper S conv JCW
Engine 66, according to BMW customer service and my dealer, the cars are not in Oxnard VPC if going to west coast. They are still in South Carolina. That means once the module is done, it will take another 2 weeks to even get to the west coast, and days more before it gets to your dealer. And, I am pretty sure they are outside collecting dust, dirt, rain, bird poop, and whatever else.

Last edited by rans09vert; 05-09-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-2010, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine66 View Post
Does anyone know if these X5's are stored outside or in a large wharehouse at the Port Hueneme VPC? Are the vehicles covered with plastic wrap or in some way protected from the elements?
I have taken a Tour of the Port Hueneme VPC, all of the vehicles are stored outside. The cars from Europe that are shipped by boat are coated with this brown glaze for protection. They drive the cars through a 300 Degree car wash for about 10 seconds I think and it removes the glaze.
The X5's from South Carolina arrive by Train I believe and were wrapped in a white canvas type cover which is removed upon arrival at the VPC. After they arrive, the Sold Order cars are pulled out first for delivery ahead of the others. If any vehilcle has damage they repair it. They have one guy who does door dings, and they also have a full body shop. They can do body work and not report it to the customer if the cost of the repair is 3% or less of the Full Msrp we were told. I saw a new M3 that had the entire rear end being repaired.

Last edited by CAX5; 05-09-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Sorry to hear about your bad luck guys. I hope that it all gets sorted out for you and your local dealers try to make up for this poor customer service.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine66 View Post
Can anyone actually tell you that ???? unless they have been there, and seen it with their own eyes.
Normally storing them outside won't be a problem.

BMW does seem to put forward the Eire of "you are lucky to have a BMW"
as oppose to,
"thankyou for buying one of our products"

That attitude is even over here !

but once you experience the car, you will forget all this. they are awsomes vehicles.
I am on my 4th BMW now, three 3 series, and this X5.
I had a Range Rover once. I know which vehicle I prefer.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Well, what do you know? Wonders never cease.

I received a call today from the dealership. My X5 is now on the ground at their dealership! Picking it up tomorrow. For sure. They have no clue where it has been.

Funny, I got an email from the dealership's GM this morning congratulating me on the purchase and asking me to take a survey. I replied and told him that he probably didn't want me to complete that survey today and explained why. 5 hours later, I now have a vehicle. Go figure.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Drive like you mean it.

Mein Auto: Mercedes S550, 633csi
The dealer is not able to finance a vehicle without the 'certificate of origin', which is issued by a new car manufacturer in lieu of a title, which is issued by the state when the vehicle is registered (titled) for the first time.

The 'in service date' will be when the dealer preps the car and delivers it to you, not before. Sales paperwork can be done anytime the vehicle is 'sold', but payments/interest/etc would not commence until after the vehicle had been delivered to you.

I am waiting for my 2011 X5 35d to be released, they are ALL sitting in a lot in SC pending EPA certification. Glad you have yours, though
1984 BMW 633csi 'big coupe', silver/tan, fun third car.
1990 Ferrari Testarossa, black/tan, Borla exhaust, no cats. Awesome.